advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Migration from a Clone 2018 Mac Mini to M1 Mac Mini
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 20, 2020 02:49PM
Think it'll work? They appear to be lots faster.

I just don't want to start from scratch since I have the current Mac Mini in a good sweet spot. Historically, I've not had the best experiences with the Migration tool.

If so, what Cloning tool is the best for nowadays? It's a 256gb hard drive. I'm gonna trade in the old mini (have to put Apple's RAM back in and try to sell Macsale's RAM later. I have a few Adobe rentals installed.

Lazyman 2020.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Migration from a Clone 2018 Mac Mini to M1 Mac Mini
Posted by: hal
Date: November 20, 2020 02:55PM
It should migrate fine, but do you really want to go to a computer with a 16GB RAM max?
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 20, 2020 02:57PM
For me... ive alwasy used this way... so far so good. Its like I never left.

2018 minis on the hot used mac market should fetch a pretty penny... dunno how trade in $ is...

Although you will have to run Big Sur....

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 20, 2020 02:59PM
hal
It should migrate fine, but do you really want to go to a computer with a 16GB RAM max?

I'm concerned about that. Maybe I should wait a bit for more real world experiences. I regretted just bumping my current Mini to just 32gb.
Date: November 20, 2020 03:02PM
jdc
For me... ive alwasy used this way... so far so good. Its like I never left.

2018 minis on the hot used mac market should fetch a pretty penny... dunno how trade in $ is...

Although you will have to run Big Sur....

Apple claims I can get $530 for my current Mini (the I7 version). But Sur seems to run on it fine. I have my Lightroom files on an external and that's a bit sluggish which is why I'm even considering the M1. I should try it with an external ssd.
Date: November 20, 2020 03:15PM
You have an i7??? KEEP IT! Or give you $700 for it right now! Don't do the Apple trade in - that's throwing money away. Working off an external will not be faster on the new model - you have the better machine. Yes... upgrade the external... Then wait for the next round AT LEAST before thinking about replacing it.

Your computer is going for WAY over $1000 on ebay.
Date: November 20, 2020 03:22PM
hal
You have an i7??? KEEP IT! Or give you $700 for it right now! Don't do the Apple trade in - that's throwing money away. Working off an external will not be faster on the new model - you have the better machine. Yes... upgrade the external... Then wait for the next round AT LEAST before thinking about replacing it.

Wow. I did not know. I bought it from B&H and have been pretty happy with it. I'd be really flustered if I bought the new one and Lightroom was STILL a bit sluggish.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 20, 2020 03:57PM
hal

Told you. =)

Yeah, dunno why you would trade in at this point either. 100% pickup a 2 TB NVMe external for your photos... $200 ish.

Ram is really different with the M1s... cant really discount the 16 vs 32. But LR isn't native M1... yet... so wouldn't be rushing it.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: November 20, 2020 04:07PM
jdc
hal

Told you. =)

Yeah, dunno why you would trade in at this point either. 100% pickup a 2 TB NVMe external for your photos... $200 ish.

Ram is really different with the M1s... cant really discount the 16 vs 32. But LR isn't native M1... yet... so wouldn't be rushing it.

Thanks man. I was worried about the value of my Mini. No worries now.
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 20, 2020 04:12PM
Well, literally, you can't clone. The code for the Intel Mini is different from the code for the M1. I'm not sure what would happen if you tried to copy an Intel Mac to an M1, but the OS wouldn't work, for sure--it's not a universal binary.

So your choices are either (1) Migration, or (2) reinstall all Apps, and then copy over data.

Wiser heads may know more, but that's how I see it.
Posted by: August West
Date: November 20, 2020 04:30PM
I've got the 2018 mini also, and will probably hang onto it until obsolete. I rarely push the processors above 20%. I will grab a laptop, but might wait for a larger screen. The performance reviews I'm seeing for ProTools on the entry level are impressive.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Date: November 20, 2020 04:35PM
August West
I've got the 2018 mini also, and will probably hang onto it until obsolete. I rarely push the processors above 20%. I will grab a laptop, but might wait for a larger screen. The performance reviews I'm seeing for ProTools on the entry level are impressive.

what about pluggins - any word yet?
Posted by: rich in distress
Date: November 20, 2020 10:13PM
Not too crowded yet but mHalo is good to go smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 164
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020