advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Apple CarPlay
Posted by: Kate
Date: November 20, 2020 07:05PM
We are most definitely NOT car people. We currently have a 1999, a 2000 and a 2003, so not only do we not have bluetooth, 2 don't even have CD slots.
So now I'm looking at a 2006 Lexus from a good friend (I know this car pretty well). A few years ago she had a Kenwood 9903s back up camera, bluetooth thingy installed.
She's a dedicated windows girl so she didn't know if I could do Apple CarPlay or not. Im looking online and I think it can work but I need to read more. That said,while I know I can connect via bluetooth and use it that way, the included software is pretty cumbersome.
So do any of you actually use Apple CarPlay and do you like it?
Happy to hear hints and reviews.
Thanks all
Kate

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 07:07PM by Kate.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Apple CarPlay
Posted by: deckeda
Date: November 20, 2020 07:27PM
That model has CarPlay.
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 20, 2020 07:35PM
Most car decks that do CarPlay do not do it via Bluetooth. Most require that you use a USB connection for CarPlay. This makes sense, as using Waze or Apple Maps for navigation are the two best parts of CarPlay. Using your phone for navigation while not plugged in drains the batteries pretty quickly.

The USB port has to be one that is installed and connected to the back of the deck. You can't just plug a USB adapter into your lighter port. Some newer decks will allow wireless CarPlay and that can work if your car also has a Qi wireless charging pad built in.

For most cars, CarPlay is much easier to use if you want to use navigation, stream music, podcasts or audio books. CarPlay can get in the way if you primarily want to use local radio stations.

In my newest vehicle, I find myself not using CarPlay as much because I have XM radio and the screen is easy to navigate. The bluetooth works pretty well for music and podcasts. So I only use CarPlay for navigation.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2020 09:14PM by Markintosh.
Posted by: Rolando
Date: November 20, 2020 08:43PM
That model also has Android Auto. Might be more familiar to her. I don't have any experience with it, myself.

[www.crutchfield.com]

I do use CarPlay when I rent a car. Quite nice and easy to use. Much better than what car manufacturers create.

San Antonio, TX (in the old city)

"All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke
“Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented." - Eli Weisel

"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." - Theodore Roosevelt (1918)

"I don’t want to see religious bigotry in any form. It would disturb me if there was a wedding between the religious fundamentalists and the political right. The hard right has no interest in religion except to manipulate it." - Billy Graham 1981

"Politics and governing demand compromise. But these Christians believe they are acting in the name of God, so they can't and won't compromise" - Barry Goldwater
Posted by: davemchine
Date: November 20, 2020 10:03PM
I have Apple CarPlay but never use it. It's so cumbersome and difficult that it's easier to just do things on my iPhone.
Posted by: stephen
Date: November 20, 2020 11:23PM
My BMW 230i was the first vehicle to run CarPlay over wifi. A Bluetooth connection is also required. It works superbly.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: November 21, 2020 01:46AM
davemchine
I have Apple CarPlay but never use it. It's so cumbersome and difficult that it's easier to just do things on my iPhone.

How is plugging your phone into a USB port "cumbersome and difficult"?
Posted by: kurtzie
Date: November 21, 2020 08:43AM
Love CarPlay.
I wouldn't get a car without it.

Phone calls, music, navigation, pod casts, texting(verbal via Siri).
Texting ETA's.

Get in the car and plug in the phone.

Of course I don't drive anywhere now due to work-from-home.

Steve
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 21, 2020 09:26AM
Family loves CarPlay. Will never get another car without it.

Map integration, phone, text, ease of use of Music.

Quick USB plug-in and you're done; it all just works. Soon it'll be just Bluetooth.

To each his own, but I don't see awkward or cumbersome enter the equation once in that.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: Kate
Date: November 21, 2020 09:37AM
The car I’m buying has the Bluetooth version. I’m excited, hope I can figure it out

Kate
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 21, 2020 10:14AM
Mark,

The JVC deck installed in my wife’s Toyota Yaris has a USB port on the front, not in the back. And, to Kate, Carplay is a game changer. So much nicer than a car’s built in features.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020