advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
tell me about your firewood storage
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 20, 2020 09:38PM
We've had our fireplace for about two weeks and a severely underestimated my wife's interest in using the device. Previously she seemed lukewarm on the idea. It was mostly my silly idea. I thought we'd use it mostly on the weekends but its become an every night sort of thing. I have no doubt that the novelty will wear off but I'll likely run out of firewood first.

My current firewood rack - [www.amazon.com]

I'd like to build something 4x the size - twice as deep, twice as tall.

I don't think there's a lot of complexity to building a firewood rack but I'd like to do it competently and therefore I'm doing some research.

I particularly like this design although I'd want to scale it up -

this page is good for ideas but short on specifics - [freshpatio.com]

I wonder if I need to be concerned with footings considering the freeze / thaw cycle.

any ideas or advice?

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: tell me about your firewood storage
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: November 20, 2020 09:44PM
Footers aren’t needed. Have it sit on top of the ground.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 20, 2020 09:44PM
.....according to those pharmaceutical commercials.....your wood should be stored in an.....outside bath tub......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 20, 2020 10:12PM
Concrete squares on the ground
Landscape Timbers on them
Firewood stacked on the timbers
Timbers cut and in the ground as uprights
Thinking about a tarp roof for winter.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: November 21, 2020 08:11AM
Firewood is really best not stored by covering all four sides and the top unless you're absolutely sure it's seasoned properly. We store ours near the back of our acre on timbers to keep it off the ground and only cover the top. We have a small arc shaped rack on the carport that will hold 2-3 days worth of firewood.

Grateful11
Posted by: Markintosh
Date: November 21, 2020 09:23AM
agree smiley

Plus if you live anywhere close to a wildfire area, you want firewood away from the house. Once you get into a wetter or snowier season, then it's fine to keep a small rack closer to the house. We also found that keeping firewood closer to the house seemed to be an invitation to carpenter ants, various beetles and rodents.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Loving life in Lake Tahoe, CA
Posted by: srf1957
Date: November 21, 2020 09:27AM
Wood fires are addictive . You need 6x6x8 foot shed . To store a couple of cords of wood . Then as you get into your late 50's. you will change to pellet stoves don't need to pack wood . Then in your 60's you will change to some kind of gas .
Posted by: Michael
Date: November 21, 2020 09:32AM
Ours is four 4x4 posts with 2x4's around the perimeter with 2x4's as rafters then covered with tin. Size it as desired. Ours is 10x10x6.5 feet high (posts are 1.5 feet in the ground). It's behind the house and below the deck so it doesn't need to be pretty. Wood is stacked to 6' high so I can get it in and out easily.

I like the various ideas from your link. I think you could pretty easily scale up the one you have on your post wider and higher. I'd bet it's primarily 2x4 as studs and rafters with1x6 fronts, sides and back, all pressure treated. If you have room you could do it 8' wide and 4' deep with a couple of the chevron backs instead of the single one. I'd bet the pictured one is about 5' high. You could go a little higher and still get wood in and out.

The suggestions about not completely covering it with a tarp are correct, in my experience. When we built 30 years ago I cleared the lot and cut and stacked a lot of wood. Covered it all in tarps. It was a race to use it before it all rotted (I lost a couple of stacks). Later a timber friend of mine told me the moisture comes up from the ground and is captured by the tarp, keeping the wood wet and promoting rot.
Date: November 21, 2020 09:39AM
srf1957
Wood fires are addictive . You need 6x6x8 foot shed . To store a couple of cords of wood . Then as you get into your late 50's. you will change to pellet stoves don't need to pack wood . Then in your 60's you will change to some kind of gas .

LOL

We did all wood heating for the first 20 years...and have now had gas forced air + plus a gas fireplace with a remote control. So we turned over at age 40ish...

I don't miss the mess from wood.

“Live your life, love your life, don’t regret…live, learn and move forward positively.” – CR Johnson
Date: November 21, 2020 10:13AM
IMO theres not much difference between gas and the yule log tv show.

Date: November 21, 2020 10:21AM
Except the gas fireplace operates as our backup heat source when the power is out. The yule log on the TV...not so much.

Posted by: Rick-o
Date: November 21, 2020 10:29AM
srf1957

Heh! This!! ^

Mr. Lahey: A lot of people, don’t know how to drink. They drink against the grain of the liquor. And when you drink against the grain of the liquor? You lose.

Randy: What the @#$%& are you talking about?
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 21, 2020 11:13AM
I'm about to do the same this weekend. But I'm doing the hillbilly concrete-blocks with some uprights intoba v-shape. That's about all I can muster given the number of unfinished projects I have at the moment

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2020 11:13AM by mrbigstuff.
Posted by: msglee
Date: November 21, 2020 01:06PM
I store mine in 40 lb bags.
Posted by: Don C
Date: November 21, 2020 07:07PM
Back when I had a log house I bought a truckload of wood and stored it between the posts on the front porch. Was really convenient to bring in; I never gave a thought to fire.

That house had a large fireplace and I kept a pretty good bed of ashes which got hot enough to melt the grate. The thermostat was close enough that the heat from the fire "declared" the house plenty warm meaning that every other room got cold.
Date: November 21, 2020 09:46PM
Don C
The thermostat was close enough that the heat from the fire "declared" the house plenty warm meaning that every other room got cold.

Same thing here. I momentarily wondered if I should get an additional sensor for my Nest thermostat and then decided that if I'm paying for firewood it might as well offset my gas bill.

Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 21, 2020 09:59PM
....wood you.......wood you...???????

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: November 22, 2020 01:06AM
mattkime
Don C
The thermostat was close enough that the heat from the fire "declared" the house plenty warm meaning that every other room got cold.

Same thing here. I momentarily wondered if I should get an additional sensor for my Nest thermostat and then decided that if I'm paying for firewood it might as well offset my gas bill.

Have your Nest set to fan on when the fire is running. That should distribute the heated air to other rooms.

C(-)ris
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Throwback Thursday Signature:
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020