advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Dishwasher ... should I pull the trigger, or wait?
Posted by: PeterB
Date: November 21, 2020 11:19AM
I've been looking at either the higher-end Bosch's, or possibly KitchenAid... or maybe on the other end of the scale, the less expensive Whirlpools... that's what I have now, and apparently the expected lifespan for those is about 5-6 years.

I see that Best Buy is supposed to be having a BF deal on free installation on some of the KitchenAids... though not sure if they'll also be on sale. (It seems that installation runs $150-200, so that's no small thing.)

Lowes is most convenient to me in terms of location though, they're literally 2-3 minutes away from me, which might be a good thing in case anything goes wrong with the install.

And then there's the fact that yesterday and today are a sales tax holiday in my state... again, that might end up saving me quite a lot.

What say you all?

TiA

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Dishwasher ... should I pull the trigger, or wait?
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 21, 2020 11:26AM
No chance you can install yourself? If $$ is an issue, all in all, DWs are pretty easy.

Easy enough to figure what the "no sales tax" day will save you. Its 8% here, so id save $40 on a $500 unit... meh.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 21, 2020 11:28AM
PeterB,

Order now. The reason is supply and demand and stock is a serious issue for most appliance stores. You can literally wait months before the model you want is in stock and available for shipment and installation.

Robert
Date: November 21, 2020 11:34AM
jdc
No chance you can install yourself? If $$ is an issue, all in all, DWs are pretty easy.

Easy enough to figure what the "no sales tax" day will save you. Its 8% here, so id save $40 on a $500 unit... meh.

Ours is 5% ... true that on a $1K dishwasher, you're only talking $50. Still, saving every bit is nice.

As for the installation ... I dunno, I'm pretty handy, but most people I've spoken to have said to let the professionals handle it, and also I would need them to haul away the old one.

Robert M
PeterB,

Order now. The reason is supply and demand and stock is a serious issue for most appliance stores. You can literally wait months before the model you want is in stock and available for shipment and installation.

Robert

I get that, but it's not immediately urgent (my current dishwasher works but not well, and it may be leaking a bit out the bottom, which obviously is a concern). I do see that a number of local area stores DO have stock, so that is hopefully not a problem.

Posted by: wave rider
Date: November 21, 2020 12:01PM
How many folks in your household Peter?

As a mostly single person, I am the dishwasher. Straining to recollect, I only faintly remember a duplex that may have had a dishwasher and I don't remember my girlfriend or myself using it.

On further reflection, how have I lived without this luxury for so long?

Other thought is how long will you be in your place? More expensive model might be advised for long term reliability.

=wr=
Posted by: Fritz
Date: November 21, 2020 12:06PM
since you're already hooked in, DIY shouldn't be too bad as long as you have patient knees and no leaks that you are aware of.

Water supply clamp. Drain clamp. 3 wires.
Shut the power if the new one is a wire in, which I think most dw's are.

KA/Whirlpool is always my choice for appliances.

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 21, 2020 12:15PM
Lowe's was great to me, but i think that's just a function of who you get to answer the phone or in person.
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 21, 2020 12:16PM
Our Bosch was one of the best household purchases in recent memory. Works so much better than the Maytag it replaced. Actually cleans dishes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2020 12:16PM by sekker.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: November 21, 2020 01:18PM
I splurged when we replaced our crap GE dishwasher (that came with the house, and it was not very old) with a Bosch back in 2007. Still very quietly running like a champ.

My only complaint is that the button design during this era is on the front. We've had occasions when the button was accidentally pressed by someone leaning against the counter, both turning it on when it wasn't and ending a cycle when it was already on.

If I replaced it, it'd be with another Bosch.

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: ka jowct
Date: November 21, 2020 03:44PM
I don't get why people want these things. Y'all must have storage space galore in your kitchens?

My life goes smoothly and in regular intervals
Posted by: August West
Date: November 21, 2020 03:44PM
Had to replace one recently, got a Bosch 300 series delivery, install, haul away for just over 900. Needed it soon, so no waiting for any type ofdiscount. Was out of stock everywhere, I lucked out. Bought it, was supposed to wait a month, but delivery guy called the next day, was in my area, and got the job done. Very pleased with the unit.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Date: November 21, 2020 04:39PM
Sorry guys, just returning to this thread -- thanks for all your input. Some factoids:

1) I live alone, but I actually use the dishwasher quite a bit because being stuck at home due to corona, I'm now doing a lot more (almost all) of my own cooking. It may sound gross or disgusting, but I actually also use the dishwasher to clean the hamsters' cages (aquariums) using the "sanitize" setting (works much better and MUCH faster than trying to clean by hand, and presumably actually wastes less water). In order to fit their cages in there, I have to take out the top rack, so whatever I get, I'd want to be able to do the same.

2) As I mentioned, Lowes is close by to me, so I'm tempted to use their installation services and haul away.

3) I might be able to do the install myself-- as I mentioned I'm pretty handy, but... I would hate for a DIY install to go haywire, and again, I still have to get the old one hauled away.

4) I own rather than rent, so it'll be a permanent install.

5) I've gone back and forth between the KA's and the Bosch's. I know the Bosch's are the highest rated, everybody raves about them, etc., but interestingly... if I look across websites, with the exception of Consumer Reports, the KA's actually get higher marks across the board. I'm not sure why that is, I wonder if it's because the Bosch's do their weird drying thing (no heating element) and/or that Bosch's quality has declined and the stuff they're making now is actually worse than it was 5 or 10 years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2020 04:41PM by PeterB.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 21, 2020 08:15PM
....you can also wash Crocs.....in the dishwasher.....

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 184
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020