advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
First impressions: New M1 MBA
Posted by: sekker
Date: November 21, 2020 06:58PM
16GB/1TB model, picked up at an Apple Store. This is my wife's new main machine, I helped set it up.

Installed a series of installs, super fast.

I used DisplayLink, works fine to have 2 external monitors. Test system is LG5K TB3 then daisy-chained via a DisplayLink to a 27" second monitor.

She's busy doing her professional video editing project due this evening. So far, running smooth.

Compared to a 2016 16GB/1TB high-end 13" MBPR, this new MBA is in a different league.

My son has a 2013 Haswell MBA, perhaps the pinnacle of Intel portable Macs as they were truly all-day battery life. These new M1 models seem to be the true v2.

I'm hearing rumors of a Mac Mini Pro. If so, that could be my next Apple Silicon purchase sometime next year or so.

In the meantime, it's a good time to buy Apple hardware for these lower-end models.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: First impressions: New M1 MBA
Posted by: hal
Date: November 21, 2020 07:40PM
what software is she using for video editing?
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 21, 2020 07:50PM
sekker
I'm hearing rumors of a Mac Mini Pro. If so, that could be my next Apple Silicon purchase sometime next year or so.

You mean the mini tower rumor?

Or you spotted something about a souped up Mac mini? (There's plenty of room in the enclosure.

Date: November 21, 2020 07:52PM
hal

She's adding subtitles using the Youtube video editing software (works with non-Mac users at our church), but she may resort to FCP if it gets too slow to finish tonight.
Date: November 21, 2020 07:54PM
Sarcany
sekker

You mean the mini tower rumor?

Or you spotted something about a souped up Mac mini? (There's plenty of room in the enclosure.

The idea that the extra room in the current Mac mini means Apple can put in the next M Pro Apple Silicon chip. That would add more I/O ports beyond the two current fast USB4 ports and likely offer more than 16GB RAM options.

This week's MacBreak Weekly discusses this a bit.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2020 07:54PM by sekker.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 21, 2020 07:56PM
sekker
hal

She's adding subtitles using the Youtube video editing software (works with non-Mac users at our church), but she may resort to FCP if it gets too slow to finish tonight.

This may be the first time EVER that anyone has accused the M1 of being too slow.

It is what it is.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2020 07:57PM by N-OS X-tasy!.
Date: November 21, 2020 07:59PM
N-OS X-tasy!
sekker
hal

This may be the first time EVER that anyone has accused the M1 of being too slow.

It's the work flow on the app, forcing intermediate upload/downloads that are entirely unnecessary. Has nothing to do with the M1, and I bet the superfast SSD (and our 300Mbps fiber connection) is making tolerable something that would have been unusable when all we had was cable for uploading.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: November 21, 2020 08:25PM
......the only impression I can do....is of Groucho Marx......

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: November 21, 2020 08:54PM
There are reliable reports of M1 Minis with 10GB Ethernet, so people are hypothesizing other upgrades in those models, too.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: November 21, 2020 08:56PM
iLeader!

Saint Cloud, Minnesota, where the weather is wonderful even when it isn't.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 21, 2020 11:25PM
Dual M1 motherboard, 10 GBaseT ethernet like the previous mini, two more Thundercrap ports, and HDMI 2.1 would be really nice. It would still have a ton of empty space inside that case.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 22, 2020 12:08AM
what kind of display link adapter are you using?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 22, 2020 05:11AM
Compared to a 2016 16GB/1TB high-end 13" MBPR, this new MBA is in a different league.

How so?

Two more T3 ports would be great, HDMI 2.1 and 10 GBaseT ethernet would be fine.

And give us back the Sleep light!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 22, 2020 10:30AM
jdc
what kind of display link adapter are you using?

This 4k USB-C docking Station

Currently $130, which is not super cheap. But it does add a ton of ports at the same time. There are other dedicated DisplayPort USB adapters - our sponsor sells one that I've used on both Macs and Windows machines. But I wanted a unified option for my workstation. This one has passthrough power, for example.

Main potential negative to this specific docking station is if you try to use it with a power hungry laptop as the pass through power is limited to 45W out. This works fine on 13" MBPR Intel and the new M1 laptops. However, does not keep a 16" MBPR properly fed when running standard apps like slack and chrome plus multiple monitors and then a real computational load. Even 60W can be hard, need like 80W or more to this beast to keep it happy. I use a second port for power in that case tied to a 100W power adapter, or to the LG 5K that has about 90W out.

[smile.amazon.com]

Needs this driver to be installed, which is from a non-certified developer. The hardest part about using DisplayLink is negotiating Gatekeeper in Mac OS during installation.
[www.displaylink.com]

Note: one other minor aspect is that when using DisplayLink, you cannot unlock your Mac using an AppleWatch. Curious bug, but touchID works fine. AppleWatch unlock is often sketchy in my experience anyway.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2020 10:36AM by sekker.
Date: November 22, 2020 10:59AM
Filliam H. Muffman
Dual M1 motherboard, 10 GBaseT ethernet like the previous mini, two more Thundercrap ports, and HDMI 2.1 would be really nice. It would still have a ton of empty space inside that case.

Add an OWC USB4 external hub and this would be the mythical mid-sized tower we are all talking about.

I'll be hopeful but skeptical...
Date: November 22, 2020 11:01AM
RAMd®d

How so?

Two more T3 ports would be great, HDMI 2.1 and 10 GBaseT ethernet would be fine.

And give us back the Sleep light!

Trying to load simple system reports, launch Intel-native apps, etc - the 13"MBPR was painfully slow compared to the M1 MBA, and at the time the M1 MBA was still being taxed with downloading iCloud files and indexing the SSD.

The only real advantage for the Intel Mac is the ability to natively run more monitors. That, too, will come with a true Pro-level Apple Silicon laptop. Presumably with the next releases - maybe simply using two M1 chips.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/22/2020 11:02AM by sekker.
Date: November 22, 2020 12:17PM
Update: learned about iMazing from here (thanks!), used it to get iPad apps installed on the M1 MBA. One key game has both current Mac App store versions and the iPad version. The Mac app store does NOT run on the M1 MBA, but the iPad version does when installed via iMazing.

Will be interesting to see how many such examples - I expect the iPad games will be the top reason we will do this sideloading process.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: November 22, 2020 03:18PM
sekker
Filliam H. Muffman

Add an OWC USB4 external hub and this would be the mythical mid-sized tower we are all talking about.

I'll be hopeful but skeptical...

PDS Slot cough I mean PCIe 4 slot for Ray tracing co-processor. Pizza box size format.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 167
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020