advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Upgrade Price 1Password 6 > 1Password 7?
Posted by: graylocks
Date: November 21, 2020 08:17PM
i'm in an upgrading kind of mood and now that I'm on Big Sur I decided to go ahead and buy a license for 1Password 7 so i can use it in Safari. IPass6 works fine in Chrome but Safari has been an annoyance.

Ouch! $64.99! Really? I can't seem to find any upgrade pricing. Am I overlooking it somehow/somewhere?

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Upgrade Price 1Password 6 > 1Password 7?
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 21, 2020 08:18PM
> Am I overlooking it somehow/somewhere?

I don't think so. I'm going to hang on to 1Password v6 until something forces my hand.

Date: November 21, 2020 08:21PM
mattkime
> Am I overlooking it somehow/somewhere?

I don't think so. I'm going to hang on to 1Password v6 until something forces my hand.

the thought does occur to me though I need to uninstall 7 as it's made 6 inoperable. i guess i've also been fearful that they'll stop licensing 7 altogether at some point. they really are pushing the subscription model.

"Success isn't about how much money you make. It is about the difference you make in people's lives."--Michelle Obama
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 21, 2020 08:34PM
I did that not long ago.

The 1PW mini works great in V6, but is awful in V7.

Stopped using V7 because of it. Even had a long chat/support discussion with them... no going back to the old way.

So now I own V7, but still use 6.

Since FF is my main go to, and Safari was backup -- I just don't use Safari anymore for sites where I need PWs.

If you use 1PW mini a lot... I might be inclined to say skip it.

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: November 21, 2020 08:34PM
graylocks
the thought does occur to me though I need to uninstall 7 as it's made 6 inoperable

I went through that but the resolution steps weren't memorable.

Posted by: sekker
Date: November 21, 2020 09:27PM
Well, it's at least not a subscription fee. That will be next.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 21, 2020 09:34PM
Perpetual license.

Could not find upgrade pricing and was getting sick and tired of it not working in Safari. (Workaround is to "anchor" a saved PW window from 1PW Mini in the menu bar and copy/paste from it.)

So, I bit and just paid full price.

...Just in time for the update that added the new enhanced Safari password-fill feature. It's a joy to use.

No regrets.

Date: November 21, 2020 09:36PM
Sarcany

...Just in time for the update that added the new enhanced Safari password-fill feature. It's a joy to use.

No regrets.

what's so different with 1P7 in Safari now?

Posted by: rjmacs
Date: November 21, 2020 10:09PM
graylocks
Sarcany

No regrets.

1Password identifies login fields on webpages and puts a 1P button at the login field, rather than forcing you to access the menu bar icon and choose "Autofill." IOW, it's a lot more like Safari's native password function.

rj
AKA
Vreemac, Moth of the Future
Posted by: space-time
Date: November 21, 2020 10:33PM
rjmacs
graylocks
Sarcany

No regrets.

1Password identifies login fields on webpages and puts a 1P button at the login field, rather than forcing you to access the menu bar icon and choose "Autofill." IOW, it's a lot more like Safari's native password function.

I just noticed that today and I was confused it if was a new feature of a glitch
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: November 22, 2020 04:55AM
No regrets.

So this is for 1P7?

Perpetual license, no subscription?

That's a hefty price to pay, without knowing how long before it's not operable with some future macOS, and replaced by a subscription version.

And what about a compatible iOS version?

I've been using Safari's built-in password generator for my very low-risk, non-financial sites.

Can I use 1P to auto-fill credit card info for the shopping sites that don't use Apple Pay?

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

Everybody matters or nobody matters.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Date: November 22, 2020 07:41AM
RAMd®d

Can I use 1P to auto-fill credit card info for the shopping sites that don't use Apple Pay?

yes. that’s one of the biggest uses for me.

Posted by: pdq
Date: November 22, 2020 10:02AM
Based on my IT daughter’s rec, I tried Lastpass. To me, it seemed like a recreation of what Apple does now.

Regarding credit cards, for better or worse, both my Macs and my iOS devices offer to fill in CC fields from a list of cards I have previously entered (without the “secret” code on the back of the card).

What am I missing with these 3rd party programs?
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 22, 2020 10:24AM
pdq,

Security and overall features and usability. What you're describing is incredibly basic and not remotely as secure as the features provided by 1Password. Can't speak for other apps as I tried a few several years ago and found I didn't like them. 1Password is the gold standard of password managers and it handles _far_ more than just passwords in a secure manner.

Robert
Date: November 22, 2020 11:14AM
I have a strong viewpoint to offer. If you are giving ANYONE your financial information, there had better be a FINANCIAL motivation for them to keep it safe.

Apple is betting their entire ecosystem on privacy. I trust the built-in keychain, though it's limited.

Lastpass offers a 'free' version. Ok, how are those programmers paid for? Somehow you are being monetized since you are not paying for that software directly. Yes, there is a paid tier, but most use the 'free' tier. The traditional way for such freeware is to either sell ads - which Lastpass doesn't as far as I know - or to sell YOUR data.

Sorry, no password manager software is getting my financial data unless I know they have MY best interests financially in their company's best interests.
Posted by: jdc
Date: November 22, 2020 12:57PM
After my personal less than happy experience with 1PW -- Im going to maybe give Dropbox's password app a test run over the break when Im not on deadlines.

Looks promising, and since Im already paying for it...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: August West
Date: November 22, 2020 01:13PM
Got LastPass premium for free through an institution I'm associated with. They got it for about 25,000+ users. I've enjoyed it and am thinking about extending use through my immediate family.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: August West
Date: November 22, 2020 01:15PM
And lest I forget, big shout out for S-T for getting me a free license for 1PW many Thanksgivings ago. Thanks, Bro! Used it regularly for many moons.

Picasso in his studio after the liberation of Paris, taken by my friend and mentor.

Posted by: space-time
Date: November 22, 2020 01:55PM
August West
And lest I forget, big shout out for S-T for getting me a free license for 1PW many Thanksgivings ago. Thanks, Bro! Used it regularly for many moons.

ha, that was about 10 years ago I guess, they were giving those away for free to get us hooked.

I forgot who sent me the free offer first, man have been mattkime
Posted by: hal
Date: November 22, 2020 02:22PM
I remember getting a freebie 1PW and they did everything they could to break it so I would upgrade. I didn't appreciate that and gave it up some time ago.
Date: November 22, 2020 02:52PM
Sekker,

That’s the thing. With 1Password, you’re not giving them any information, personal, financial, useless or otherwise. The data is stored in a very secure encrypted locally stored file. The publisher cannot access it. Only someone with the master password can access it. Lose or forget your master password and the info is locked tight.

Robert
Posted by: michaelb
Date: November 22, 2020 04:04PM
I don't know if this is limited to v7 or not, but 1password just added unlocking with the apple watch. This is very very cool and something that seemed obvious and was asked for going back to when the watch was released (if you have a touchid mac, this feature doesn't matter since that worked for years already). If you have a watch, and you need v7, that alone would definitely be worth the price of admission.
Date: November 22, 2020 04:40PM
Robert M
Sekker,

That’s the thing. With 1Password, you’re not giving them any information, personal, financial, useless or otherwise. The data is stored in a very secure encrypted locally stored file. The publisher cannot access it. Only someone with the master password can access it. Lose or forget your master password and the info is locked tight.

Robert

Yes, and is why I am a 1password customer.
Date: November 22, 2020 04:49PM
Sekker,

My mistake. I misunderstood your post. My apologies for that.

Robert
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 22, 2020 08:11PM
The 1Password web site states that 1Password 7 is required for use with Safari, but I was able to use v6 with Safari until just last week when I (inadvertently) upgraded to Safari 14. Anyone have any insight on that?

It is what it is.
Posted by: Sarcany
Date: November 22, 2020 09:14PM
N-OS X-tasy!
The 1Password web site states that 1Password 7 is required for use with Safari, but I was able to use v6 with Safari until just last week when I (inadvertently) upgraded to Safari 14. Anyone have any insight on that?

You must have jumped a couple of versions.

Safari 13 stopped supporting the old extension format.

Only those running 1PW 7 continued to have support for Safari 13 and above.

This happened in September of 2019.

Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: November 23, 2020 01:27AM
Sarcany
N-OS X-tasy!

You must have jumped a couple of versions.

Safari 13 stopped supporting the old extension format.

Only those running 1PW 7 continued to have support for Safari 13 and above.

This happened in September of 2019.

I may have had Safari 12 installed.

It is what it is.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 172
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020