advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $95.60 ( -2.55 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How do we get fill dirt?
Date: March 12, 2007 07:21PM
I doubt it's hard to get fill dirt. I bet we could get fill dirt easily.

I'm just thinking there's lots of ways to do it; from noticing signs at construction sites to some helpful websites.

What's the easy, um...what's the regular way of doing something like this?

Thanks!

GtDS & MacGurl
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How do we get fill dirt?
Posted by: Plumbking
Date: March 12, 2007 07:27PM
I go to landscape suppliers. $20 to $30 per ton.

You need a truck.

$5 a bag at Home Depot I think.

Depends how much you need.
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: March 12, 2007 07:47PM
For truckload(s) ask a landscaper.

Posted by: billb
Date: March 12, 2007 07:48PM
Clean fill or crap to fill a big hole ?

Landscapers would be my first call(s).
Posted by: davester
Date: March 12, 2007 07:51PM
There's tons of "free dirt" on craigslist in my area...also free bricks, free gravel, etc.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: March 12, 2007 07:53PM
Clean crap?

We need dirt alongside the house to prevent water from doing bad things.
Date: March 12, 2007 08:27PM
Sounds you're grading to (help)shed water away.

Truckload(s) of clean fill.

Landscapers will have it ready to go, or their supplier who does.

I take it downspout extensions wouldn't suffice ?
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: March 12, 2007 08:36PM
Post on your local Craigslist. Through the years we've done several major remodeling projects that required excavation for the foundation and crawl space. Finding a place for the dirt was one of the bigger challenges. If there's somebody in your area doing some building, they might love to find somebody who wants what they'll be taking out. They get rid of it for free (it costs a lot if fill has to be dumped), and you'll get it for free. The closer to you the better, because the person doing the hauling will be charging for the transport and time.

When you post, try to attract the attention of people who might be gearing up for the construction of an addition.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2007 08:38PM by AlphaDog.
Date: March 12, 2007 08:38PM
billb
Sounds you're grading to (help)shed water away.

Truckload(s) of clean fill.

Landscapers will have it ready to go, or their supplier who does.

I take it downspout extensions wouldn't suffice ?

This is for water going downhill, between our house and the neighbors'.

It's going the wrong direction for downspouts. :-)
Posted by: rgG
Date: March 12, 2007 08:42PM
Ah, the joys of being a homeowner. grinning smiley

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: March 12, 2007 09:09PM
Are you having water problems in your basement?

Now is a good time to look around the perimeter of the house. You want the ground to slope away from your house. Not just near the downspouts. If the grade isn't adequate; water flows against the foundation and follows the wall down until it finds a crack and then ends up in your basement. The water can also freeze in the winter time causing more cracks.

Also, do you have a sump pump? Normally the pit for the sump pump is recessed below the basement floor. The idea is the pump keeps pumping until the water gets below that level and your basement stay drier.

Some people in this part of Iowa have sump pumps, some don't. Back in South Dakota, you couldn't find a house without them.

Newer homes have drain tile. Kind of a perimeter drain field flowing towards a sump pump.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2007 09:11PM by MacArtist.
Date: March 12, 2007 09:27PM
Ah.
A berm .
I take it a trench won't work without also building a pool.

This is for surface water ?

My brother had percolation woes.
Water would go right under a berm. Weird soil.
I couldn't convince him to pump his sump water away from the house until I went over with 75 feet of drain pipe.
He did eventually bury it, though.

Only a perimeter trap would channel the water.
He has a tough time mowing the lawn in the Spring.
Nice green grass, though.
Date: March 12, 2007 10:04PM
MacArtist
Are you having water problems in your basement?

Now is a good time to look around the perimeter of the house. You want the ground to slope away from your house. Not just near the downspouts. If the grade isn't adequate; water flows against the foundation and follows the wall down until it finds a crack and then ends up in your basement. The water can also freeze in the winter time causing more cracks.

Also, do you have a sump pump? Normally the pit for the sump pump is recessed below the basement floor. The idea is the pump keeps pumping until the water gets below that level and your basement stay drier.

Some people in this part of Iowa have sump pumps, some don't. Back in South Dakota, you couldn't find a house without them.

Newer homes have drain tile. Kind of a perimeter drain field flowing towards a sump pump.

We don't have any water in our basement; this is all preventative, based on the advice of our home inspector.

The basement does have a sump pump, but we need to test it.
Posted by: michaelb
Date: March 12, 2007 10:35PM
I have long wanted to put a sign out in front of my house that says "clean fill wanted". I see those around, and I wonder who would be driving by with a load of clean fill, see the sign, and stop and offer to dump it on your lawn.
Date: March 12, 2007 10:45PM
michaelb
I have long wanted to put a sign out in front of my house that says "clean fill wanted". I see those around, and I wonder who would be driving by with a load of clean fill, see the sign, and stop and offer to dump it on your lawn.

Someone who's about to pay per mile to truck away foundation hole fill could be very interested. Probably wouldn't be driving around with a truckload, though. :-) :-)
Strip mall excavations are always looking to cut down on hauling expenses.
Closest hole to fill.
Posted by: Plumbking
Date: March 12, 2007 10:48PM
Round here costs money to dump earth.

You want 10 tons on your lawn for free no problem. Excavators will oblige.

But what you do with it from there????

Sounds like Greg needs bout 10 wheelbarrows not a 10 wheeler.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 13, 2007 01:30AM
Even a slight grade change can take a suprising amount of dirt to accomplish. We took probably 30 cubic feet of dirt from a neighbor and regraded the backyard, really doesn't look any different now but it has helped keep the basement dry.
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: March 13, 2007 02:13AM
GTDS, just what I need, but for my 9 acres (not all of it!), I need to fill in some serious erosion gullies, truckloads I am talking about. Great, people on this forum do the neatest things, and remind me that there are other ways to get things done!

I think I will check with the Craig list thing to see if I can get some hauled to begin the fill in process. I have about three ditches, one about six feet deep by 50' long, and two others about 3' deep by 40' long and all are about 3' wide at the top. See what I mean; serious fill dirt needed here! This is on about 3 acres of the land that was timbered 4 years ago, and now the gullies really stand out. I have been using them to put storm damage debris, limbs, logs, etc. that I don't burn in my fireplace. My goal is to get the land fairly even, so at least it could be driven across in the future, and maybe even build a house on it... we'll see how it goes.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: March 13, 2007 02:27AM
Sounds like you're going to need more than just dirt. If you have erosion, more dirt will just erode same as the original dirt. Start to fill it up with rocks, BIG rocks first, even busted up concrete chunks, bathtubs or cars, then progressively smaller rocks, then dirt.
Posted by: macphanatic
Date: March 13, 2007 07:25AM
You need to make sure that it is CLEAN fill. In this day and age, you can't afford to take anything that might be contaminated in any way as it becomes your liability. I wouldn't take anything from a farm - its common that farms have soil contamination from dumping of fertilizers, oils, etc.
Posted by: dadrepus
Date: March 13, 2007 08:59AM
Drive around your neighborhood and look for the start of a room addition or new construction. You may be able to get relatively clean FREE dirt form them. That's how I got 4 dump trucks full to fill the depression in my front yard this past summer.
Posted by: Maddog
Date: March 13, 2007 11:07AM
We are in the process of building. As part of the excavation of our hillside lot, over 350 large dumptruck loads of dirt/rock had to find a new home somewhere. These are around 17 cubic yards each load. It does cost money to dump this extra and if you have a spot for it, there is the potential for a win-win situation. You might consider talking to a couple of your local builders. They usually know of situations where planned projects are going to require disposal of excavated material.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login