advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.64 ( +0.07 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
I was almost killed by "Bounce" Fabric Softener sheets....
Posted by: decocritter
Date: April 02, 2007 03:56PM
I went to dinner with friends and we rode in their Honda Van. After dinner we decided to runn a few errands. I started coughing and could not stop. We stopped to get gas and I ran in for a cold drink.

When I got back in the van I noticed a jumbo roll of bounce dryer sheets. My friend said, you might be allergic to those. They have been in the van for a few days.

By the time we got home, I could hardly breathe or sit down. I was almost choking. I sat outside and took a Benedryl. I said if I don't improve, get ready to take me to the hospital. I felt a little better and went home and took a shower.

It has taken me 2 days to get over this reaction. I had noticed that when my neighbor used bounce, I could smell it at my condo. I have personally never liked fabric softners.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: I was almost killed by "Bounce" Fabric Softener sheets....
Posted by: jdc
Date: April 02, 2007 04:02PM
we use a "free" version that has no smell

----

The Secret Diary of Steve Jobs [www.fakesteve.net]

Posted by: iaJim
Date: April 02, 2007 04:03PM
Wow! That's a crazy story. Glad you're ok.
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: April 02, 2007 04:06PM
I have that same reaction around cats. 5 minutes exposure will get me sneezing. Half hr or more and I'm doomed. Benedryl, hot shower, rest & a couple of days recuperation are what's needed.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: April 02, 2007 04:07PM
[www.youtube.com]

[sorry]

Live from Berserkeley, California | Originally from the City of Brotherly Freakin' Love | WEEEEEEEEEE! Stuff, yo.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: April 02, 2007 04:12PM
I am like that with shellfish, I have to carry two Epipens and benadryl at all times.
Sucks that I live at the beach and am allergic to shellfish!
Date: April 02, 2007 04:23PM
I have looked up some info on google...evidently this stuff is pure poison and this is a very common allergy. It also causes hives and eczema when in contact with skin.

All synthetic fabric softeners are the culprit.

There are supposedly some natural ones sold at Whole Foods.

White vinegar in the rinse is also good.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: April 02, 2007 04:24PM
The fragrance in many things, like Bounce, get to me, too. Fortunately my reactions aren't as severe, and as long as I use the fragrance free version myself, I'm fine. One of my neighbors, though, uses something in her dryer that is absolutely horrible, and the smell of it in the air outside sends me to the medicine cabinet for drugs. All of the lots around here are fairly spacious, so that must be some mighty powerful stuff!

I think some radical group ought to take on "fragrance" as a health issue; they've tackled almost everything else.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: April 02, 2007 04:26PM
My gosh, decocritter, I am glad you are okay!

I can't stand those dryer sheets. Although not allergic like you are, I find the smell really awful somehow -- it puts me in mind of cigarette smoke, although my husband says I am nuts when I say that. I wonder if I would have a bit of an allergic reaction if I was shut in with that many of them?

Date: April 02, 2007 04:36PM
Thanks for your concern. I posted this as a warning to others.

Well, it seems like a lot of folks have lately been having issues with laundry detergent, soaps and fabric softeners.

All of these things have a lot of synthetic chemicals.

Please do not use these items for babies and children's clothing and bedding (also towels). Children cannot recognize and speak up and tell you what is making them react.

Baking soda in an extra rinse is supposed to work.
Date: April 02, 2007 04:38PM
Also like most of you - I never knew I was so allergic. I knew I did not like the smell and it aggravated me. Just like perfume and cologne, which is also synthetic.
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: April 02, 2007 04:51PM
Another fabric softener story: had a friend who did an intense sauna/sweat cleanse a couple years ago. On his fifth day, he noticed a smell coming off his pores. Everyone else in the sauna noted the smell as well, and finally someone said, "man, that smells like my fabric softener cloths." Immediately my friend linked the smell to his choice of fabric softener as well. Went home that evening, and did some research on the number of chemicals used by them, and decided then and there to deal with stiff clothes from then on out.

Mac Pro 2.8Ghz Quad-Core tower, 14G RAMYosemite 10.10 betaDual 24" ViewSonic LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Carm
Date: April 02, 2007 05:00PM
Good to hear you are doing better.

I use "scent free" versions of detergent and softener. Havent had a problem with it affecting my two boys.

Carm
Sounds like you need to get some BALLS!
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: April 02, 2007 05:08PM
Dryer Balls that is!

Unlike fabric softeners Dryer Balls are completely non-tonic and allergy free! Dryer Balls will never melt! They are made of PVC plastic which can withstand very high temperatures. This is the same plastic that your hot water pipes are made from in your house.

Anderson Laboratories chemical analysis of the airborne emissions of five different kinds of commonly available fabric softeners was reported in the May 2000 issue of the Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health. Their study revealed that the fabric softeners emitted toluene, styrene, phenol, thymol, and trimethylbenzene, among other chemicals, many of which cause acute respiratory tract irritations and inflammation. Fabric softener chemicals are made to stay in fibers and slowly release for a very long time. The slow release of chemicals into the air affects the health of those wearing the clothes and the people around them.

Babies, children, older people, and people who are already sick are especially hurt by these chemicals. Damage can be permanent, causing longtime illness. Babies often react with rashes, frequent crying and/or diarrhea. Disinfectants can have the same effects. Experts suggest a possible connection between Sudden Infant Death (crib death) and the use of these products for washing babies clothes and crib sheets and blankets.

Some symptoms caused by fabric softener fumes are: tiredness that is not cured by resting, difficulty breathing, feeling faint, and rashes.

[www.onlineallergyrelief.com]

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/2007 05:10PM by Harbourmaster.
Posted by: Pam
Date: April 02, 2007 05:14PM
Don't get complacent with "free" versions. Even our dermatologist has said they can have chemicals just as bad as fragrant versions. You just can't smell them. My daughter had dermatitis from free fabric sheets as well as some scented ones. I finally settled on Downey dryer sheets but only use 1/2 sheet per dryer load.

Deocritter, I'd try to find out what chemical got to you. Another reaction may not be from so obvious a source.
Re: almost killed by "Bounce"
Posted by: miK.
Date: April 02, 2007 05:18PM
I am glad you are OK deco...

I can't possibly be the only person here who loves the smell of clothes
fresh out of the dryer with fabric softner smell & softness to them... anyone?
An even better feeling is then putting ON the warm clothes! :-)

peace-
miK.
Posted by: karsen
Date: April 02, 2007 05:20PM
Glad to hear you're OK.

I have a similar reaction to fabric softeners. If I wear clothes that were dried with certain softeners my throat gets all itchy and swelled up and my skin gets red. I have to use all natural ones. I never knew they were poison, thought it was just me.

@ Seacrest, that video was hysterical.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: April 02, 2007 05:56PM
BOUNCE = EVIL

Can't stand the things - back when I was still a youngster, my Dad swore by the things. Being the cheapskate that he is, he'd never throw them out, but instead would just keep adding more sheets to the dryer. So eventually, there'd be ~20 or sheets of Bounce floating around the dryer, and lots of hives and rashes on us kids afterwards when we'd have to wear the results. I started doing my own laundry, but he'd still inflict that on everyone else, including himself. I'm pretty sure he still does to this day, over twenty five years later...
Posted by: CJsNvrUrly
Date: April 02, 2007 06:00PM
Wow! How many dryer sheets do you suppose are in there after twenty five years?!

LOL
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: April 02, 2007 06:14PM
"How many dryer sheets do you suppose are in there after twenty five years?! "

Geez - I never thought about that. He did move to a new place around 1994, so I guess it'd be more like 13 years worth instead. The next time I'm there, I'll have to make an excuse to look inside his dryer. Now I'm curious...
Date: April 02, 2007 09:26PM
Interesting article - [members.tripod.com]

Here is the part on fabric softners...

Chemicals Found in Fabric Softeners/Dryer Sheets

Alpha-Terpineol - Causes CNS (central nervous system) disorders... "highly irritating to mucous membranes" ..."Aspiration into the lungs can produce pneumonitis or even fatal edema." Can also cause "excitement, ataxia (loss of muscular coordination), hypothermia, CNS and respiratory depression, and headache." "Prevent repeated or prolonged skin contact."

Benzyl Acetate - Carconigenic (linked to pancreatic cancer). "From vapors: irritating to eyes and respiratory passages, exciting cough." "In mice: hyperanemia of the lungs." "Can be absorbed through the skin causing systemic effects." "Do not flush to sewer."

Benzyl Alcohol - Causes CNS disorders ..."irritating to the upper respiratory tract" ..."headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drop in blood pressure, CNS depression, and death in severe cases due to respiratory failure."

Camphor - Causes CNS disorders. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. Symptoms: "local irritant and CNS stimulant" ..."readily absorbed through body tissues" ..."irritation of eyes, nose, and throat" ..."dizziness, confusion, nausea, twitching muscles and convulsions". "Avoid inhalation of vapors."

Chloroform - Neurotoxic. Anesthetic. Carcinogenic. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "Avoid contact with eyes, skin, clothing. Do not breathe vapors ...Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness." "Inhalation can be fatal." "Chronic effects of overexposure may include kidney and/or liver damage." "Medical conditions generally aggravated by exposure: kidney disorders, liver disorders, heart disorders, skin disorders." "Conditions to avoid: Heat..." Listed on California's Proposition 65.

Ethyl Acetate - Narcotic. On EPA's Hazardous Waste list. "...Irritating to the eyes and respiratory tract" ..."may cause headache and narcosis (stupor)" ..."may cause anemia with leukocytosis and damage to liver and kidneys". "Wash thoroughly after handling."

Limonene - Carcinogenic. "Prevent its contact with skin or eyes because it is an irritant and sensitizer." "Always wash thoroughly after using this material and before eating, drinking ...applying cosmetics. Do not inhale limonene vapor."

Linalool - Narcotic. Causes CNS disorders. ..."Respiratory disturbances" ..."Attracts bees." "In animal tests: ataxic gait, reduced spontaneous motor activity and depression ...depressed heart activity ...development of respiratory disturbances leading to death."

Pentane - "Danger - Harmful if inhaled ...Avoid breathing vapor." "Inhalation of vapors may cause headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, drowsiness, irritation of respiratory tract and loss of consciousness. Repeated inhalation of vapors may cause CNS depression. Contact can cause eye irritation. Prolonged exposure may cause dermatitis (skin rash)."

CNS = Central Nervous System - Your brain and spine. CNS disorders include: Alzheimer's Disease, Attention Deficit Disorder, Dementia, Multiple Chemical Sensitivity, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson's Disease, Seizures, Strokes, Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.

CNS exposure symptoms include: aphasia, blurred vision, disorientation, dizziness, headaches, hunger, memory loss, numbness in face, pain in neck and spine.

ACT NOW

File an official complaint. Call the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission at 1-800-638-2772; press 1; press 999 to file your report on fabric softeners. Emphasize CNS disorder symptoms caused by chemical poisoning from the product. Allergic symptoms are not given priority in Commission investigations. Demand a recall. Everyone you know who reacts to fabric softeners should call - the tally will be useful in litigation and publicity.

Attain copies of reports from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Call 1-301-504-0424. Consumer product reports are available under the Freedom of Information Act. Request any of the following: Emergency Room reports; Consumer Complaints; Death Certificate reports; In-depth Investigations.

Contact manufacturers: 1-800-543-1745 - Proctor and Gamble (Downy and Bounce); 1-800-598-5005 - Lever Brothers (Snuggle); or call the maker of the product you know makes you ill.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: April 02, 2007 11:59PM
Wow, that's pretty bad. I usually use the 'free' versions of any dryer sheet and detergent.

Personally I am surprised that I don't have seem to have any problems with dryer sheets since I have pretty sensitive skin. I mean who else here gets hives if their skin is exposed to the cold? I have also had heat rash, poison ivy, random hives. Good times.
Posted by: Cellocorman
Date: April 03, 2007 12:02PM
I am another who likes the smell of it fresh out of the dryer.. but I never really gave much thought to what chemicals are in it..

On a slightly related note, anyone else here have bad reactions to benedryl? I am advised that it could actually kill me.. comforting, huh?
Posted by: Robo
Date: April 03, 2007 03:38PM
I had a similar reaction from drinking a jug full of Downy. It looked like blueberries and cream and I just couldn't resist that April fresh scent. Especially it being April and all.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: April 04, 2007 11:32AM
I sure hope that cured the TP static cling problem.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login