advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
shout out: what laser printer are u using?
Posted by: robfilms
Date: January 24, 2006 07:15AM
looking for small home office laser printer

heard/read much about the brother series but the reliability seems questionable.

samsung?

hp?

not sure i want to dabble w/a 10yr apple laserwriter

how about an old hp 5mp. what do i need to get that non-usb machine working under tiger?

thoughts on the brother laser printers?

thanks in advance

be well

rob
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: shout out: what laser printer are u using?
Posted by: IronMac
Date: January 24, 2006 07:18AM
I'm using an HP Laserjet 4MPlus printing through Samba over a wired network.

P.S. Hey RobertM, I know this thread will attract you like a black hole attracts villains (hehehe) so I just wanted to tell you that the above took two hours to do but I managed to get it working. The printer is not on the network proper but the files are still going through that ornery Linksys router to a WinXP machine that has the Laserjet hooked up to it. It's a bit slower than normal but, hey, I'm NOT complaining!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2006 07:26AM by IronMac.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: January 24, 2006 07:19AM
twin 360 LaserWriters

1 LexDork e310

some NEC thing in the garage with "StyleScript" or something else by Adobe that isn't Postscript - but it was $12 (only 2000 copies on it).
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: January 24, 2006 07:21AM
Xerox Color Phaser 6250N. Had it for over 2 years, and love it.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: SteveJobs
Date: January 24, 2006 07:24AM
Brother MFC-4800
Posted by: spacescape
Date: January 24, 2006 07:26AM
I have a Apple Laserjet Pro 630 that needs a exit jam repair kit. I might try cleaning/sanding the exit rollers before I spend $30.00. My problem is that I might spend that $30.00 towards a new printer. So, I'm interested in what everyone is using as well. Is there such thing as a true postscript printer for under $200? My friend has a brother printer with brother's postscript emulation and he seems to have problems with it printing out ps error pages.

Bill
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: January 24, 2006 07:32AM
HP 1012. Two years now and still on the original toner cartridge. It is not true PostScript, but I have not found anything it won't print yet.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Date: January 24, 2006 07:36AM
BrotherScript was always supposed to be pretty good. Lexdork Engineers claim theirs is faster and more accurate - I just have a serious problem with their customer service and their president from WAY back.

The model I have was well worth the money (another Goodwill special for under $16) - it had only 2mb of RAM, so it was probably PS error galore, so they dumped it.

I shoved in a 32MB Performa SIMM and all is well. It isn't perfect when it comes to postscript errors. But it only weight about 5 pounds (compared to 5 tons with the LW360) AND, it has USB, whereas, the two units I have to connect the LW's to the network (AsanteTalk) - they are buried in a box somewhere. I do have a Beige available for printer sharing. When I finally get the Performa 476 up here (or any one of a bunch of oldies), I may use it as the LocalTalk server.

$30 isn't much to spend on an indestructable printer.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: January 24, 2006 07:43AM
Brother 1670N, have had little trouble with it.
Date: January 24, 2006 07:43AM
Jimmypoo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> $30 isn't much to spend on an indestructible
> printer.

So Jimmypoo? You think I should stop being cheep and buy the fix for my 630 huh? Especially because my 630 is true postscript, has 32 megs of ram and I have 1 full toner in the printer and a second toner cartridge in the box... So, for $40 total, if I get 1-2 years out of the printer then I'm still ahead...

Bill
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: January 24, 2006 07:50AM
I have a Brother 5040. The driver is built in to Tiger. Under Panther, I used it in HP emulation mode.

It's simultaneously hooked up to a parallel print server and to my desktop via USB so that I can print to it from any computer on my network -- and wirelessly from my laptop.

It's about 2 years old. Very reliable. Seldom jams. Very cheap and easy to maintain. Only on its second toner cartridge and I print several pages each day.

Printer drivers are also available for OS 9.

I should mention that I keep dust covers on all of my printers. Nylon covers cost just a few dollars at an office supply store. I have a theory that keeping dust out adds several years to the life of a printer. My old laser used to get scratches on the drum and lines down the page, but since I've been covering my printers I haven't seen anything like that.
Posted by: TLB
Date: January 24, 2006 08:04AM
I've been using an OkiData OL6/PS for about 10 years. Small compact and toner is about $10 (it is separate from the drum). A few years ago, I bought a used LW630 to replace it, but the fuser died after only two weeks, so I've just stayed with the Oki.
Posted by: mjgkramer
Date: January 24, 2006 08:05AM
LaserWriter 16/600
Posted by: Fritz
Date: January 24, 2006 08:10AM
HP 5mp. it just keeps going and going ......

!#$@@$#!

If there are spelling issues, please pardon, Owen the cat is sitting on my keyboard.
Date: January 24, 2006 08:12AM
I just had what appears to be a fuser death in one of the LW's. Someone here said 10 years or 100,000 copies.

When the time comes, I'll consider going for a color laser. Until then, I'll keep using the HP/Xerox LaserWriters with PS level 2 until I find a compelling reason not to.

when I want ultra ULTRA sharp grayscale, I'll do it from the Epson 820 or the C82.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: January 24, 2006 08:37AM
Samsung ML-1740 that I got for $30 after rebate last year. It's great.

If I needed a new one, I'd jump on this deal.

[www.buy.com]
Posted by: mstudio
Date: January 24, 2006 08:38AM
HP 5m at home connected via ethernet and Airport. Bought new in '94 or so. Still going strong. A 16/600 and 630 pro at the studio, setup the same way, ditto on reliability. Did the roller exit jam deal about a year ago, easy and cheap fix.
Date: January 24, 2006 08:45AM
There is your answer.

Go forth and multiply copies.
Posted by: swampy
Date: January 24, 2006 08:52AM
HP 2200DN, Letter/Legal, great envelope feed, Postscript, duplexing, networkable over ethernet, fairly small footprint for an HP work horse. Running three years with no problems in OSX.

If you don't stand for something, you'll probably fall for anything.t
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: January 24, 2006 08:54AM
HP 5si at home. Huge, heavy, and reliable as a tank... prints duplex and prints 11x17".
Just don't try to move it by yourself... you'll kill yourself.

Brother 5070N and 5171DN printers at work... both are a thumbs up for light to moderate use, but the one (of each model) thats getting heavy use at work are having too many paper jams, and seem to be wearing faster than they should.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: magicmikey
Date: January 24, 2006 09:21AM
I used a Laserwriter Pro 630 for years (my wife's now using it) and it always did a great job. I currently use a Brother HL-1850 laser that I love. It's quick, has built-in duplexing and PostScript emulation. (The emulation works pretty well most of the time.) I found that they're still available online for about $200.

I just recently added a Dell 3100cn for my color laser needs and am happy with it, as well.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: January 24, 2006 09:29AM
I have a Samsung ML 1710 that was very cheap at work - and a Lexmark Optra E312 at home (have upped the printer ram)

Of the two, I think the Samsung is less prone to pull more paper than it needs.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: January 24, 2006 09:44AM
630 pro, 8MB RAM. Blew the quartz fuser last year, it sat alone and bereft until someone on the LEM list sold me a fuser for $10. Now its printing on the network with OSX, OS8.5, OS 9.22, and an OS7.6 machine. And via it's parallel port for Windows 2000, which then shares with any other windows machine on the network.

The old unkillable printers rock if you have an old unkillable network. Let's face it. Then do NOT make them like they used to.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: January 24, 2006 10:06AM
LaserWriter Pro 630. I've replaced the exit rollers and the pickup rollers. I tried some generic toner carts to disasertous results.

You're not goign to find something better for the money. Sure, you can pick up a cheap laser. Do you know how much more you'll end up spending on toner?

Yeah, you'll have to mess around with the LW a bit to keep it running - but its not that difficult.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: January 24, 2006 10:33AM
Nowadays:

Brother HL-5240 [www.amazon.com]

Before Katrina:

Phaser 8400 [www.amazon.com]

Brother MFC-9800 [www.amazon.com]

(BTW, it's spelled < y'all >.)
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: January 24, 2006 10:37AM
Someone asked what my Xerox Phaser 6250 cost in ink. I've tracked my costs since first getting it (I've printed about 6,000 pages), and the per page cost comes in at around .21¢. We print a lot of flyers, though, so there's often quite a bit of ink used in them. To date, the cheapest place we've found ink cartridges for it is Page Computing.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Posted by: Big Daddy Cool
Date: January 24, 2006 10:40AM
Two LW 4/600PS
and a
Dell 3100CN (Color)
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: January 24, 2006 10:45AM
Two Laserwriter 16/600 PS

And another three Laserwriter Pro 630s that are just waiting to get their exit rollers repaired. Then they'll get rolled out to friends or something.
Posted by: WHiiP
Date: January 24, 2006 10:54AM
Two tanks . . . LW 12/640 and LW Select 360 . . . both cranking along just fine, thank you!

I should be set for 5 years or so (for my B/W ad proofing anyway grinning smiley)

drinking smiley cheers

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: S.Taylor
Date: January 24, 2006 11:19AM
I had been using a LaserWriter IIg, but it went belly up about a month ago--fuser or AC board, $70 to fix, which is more than I paid for it. Sad day.

Bought a Konica/Minolta 2430DL color laser to replace it (and a head-clogging Epson C80) and have been quite pleased. Not Postscript, but does a nice job with InDesign anyway. Greys look good, color is pretty good. Toner carts are easy to refill.
Posted by: ADent
Date: January 24, 2006 11:59AM
I have a Samsung ML1450 PS that I got pretty cheap new. No network, but it hooks up to my network router/printer server. Works fine. Watch out Samsung USA dropped Mac support, so if you go Samsung get a Postscipt (emulated) printer from them.

I just replaced that with a used $10 HP 5M (which has a network port and Postscript (emulated I think)) since the Samsung needs a new toner cart.

HP works great - gets a little cranky with jams if the paper tray is towards empty (the Samsung will run til empty and holds a whole ream).
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: January 24, 2006 12:44PM
Here are the reasons to get something from the HP 2200 series:

1200 dpi

Duplexing

Indestructible (10,000 page per month duty cycle!)

Cheap toner and compatible cartridges.

Can add on extra paper trays-put a whole ream in, and forget about it.

Easy to network via ethernet, with a JetDirect card.

Great envelope and other paper handling.

Works great under OS X.

Available on Ebay for maybe $50-100. You can add on the extra trays and ethernet JetDirect card later. Just make sure you get either a 2200D or 2200DN or 2200DT-you can't add on the duplexing afterwards (well, maybe you could, but it would be a huge PITA)

Here are some ebay links:

[cgi.ebay.com]

[cgi.ebay.com]

Posted by: TheTominator
Date: January 24, 2006 12:47PM
HP6MP

But I could take advantage of duplexing so anonymouse1's post is very interesting to me.
Posted by: olnacl
Date: January 24, 2006 12:52PM
Used a Sammy <something or other> M50 for about 3 years on the starter toner, gave that to a friend and now have a Brother MFC. Envelope handling was easier on the Sammy but I like the multi-function aspect of the Brother. printer drivers were less than wonderful on the samsung - no problems at all with the Brother.

Date: January 24, 2006 01:18PM
anonymouse1 Wrote:
> Here are the reasons to get something from the HP
> 2200 series:
>
> 1200 dpi
>
> Duplexing
>
> Indestructible (10,000 page per month duty
> cycle!)
>
> Cheap toner and compatible cartridges.
>
> Can add on extra paper trays-put a whole ream in,
> and forget about it.
>
> Easy to network via ethernet, with a JetDirect
> card.
>
> Great envelope and other paper handling.
>
> Works great under OS X.
>
> Available on Ebay for maybe $50-100. You can add
> on the extra trays and ethernet JetDirect card
> later. Just make sure you get either a 2200D or
> 2200DN or 2200DT-you can't add on the duplexing
> afterwards (well, maybe you could, but it would be
> a huge PITA)

I might agree with the HP 2200... I actually use one at work w/ 2 trays... I also use several HP 1200's which are great machines... Oh, and we have a Canon 3200 color copier which is one of the best colored machines that "i've" ever used...

Bill

Posted by: nwyaker
Date: January 24, 2006 01:23PM
16/600
Posted by: MacGurl
Date: January 24, 2006 01:37PM
MGS_forgot_password Wrote:
> Samsung ML-1740 that I got for $30 after rebate
> last year. It's great.

I got one of those right before Christmas, at Microcenter, for $79.99, with no rebates attached. What a deal, and it got me out from under the yoke of inkjet printer hell (what a scam that is, with the cost of ink and unreliability issues).
I'm very happy with this Samsung - it's well up to the task of my light printing needs.

Kathy

Posted by: robfilms
Date: January 24, 2006 02:36PM
wow-

lots of sharing!

no one using the hp 1020 laser printer?

seems reasonably priced-$120

and w/o the cost of the drum units that are built into the cost of the brother printers

looking for reviews?

real-world reliabilty?

thanks in advance

be well

rob
Posted by: MacMission
Date: January 24, 2006 03:34PM
Laserwriter 12/640 duplex, and HP4MV tabloid. Both old and reliable everready printers.
Posted by: bangman
Date: January 24, 2006 03:42PM
HP 4M+

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: January 24, 2006 04:08PM
robfilms Wrote:
> no one using the hp 1020 laser printer?
>
> seems reasonably priced-$120

One day sale at newegg.com on the HP 1020. $104 + $14 shipping.
[www.newegg.com]
I don't know if it is a PostScript (or Postscript compatible) printer.

I'm looking at the HP 1320 for $240 after $100 rebate.
[www.newegg.com]
This one is Level 2 Postscript-compatible. This essentially means that you won't have trouble getting compatible drivers. (I hate relying on buggy printer drivers from the printer vendor.)
Posted by: graylocks
Date: January 24, 2006 04:31PM
HP 1200

about 4 years old now. works great though i've never been able to get it to run under Classic.
Posted by: joycee
Date: January 24, 2006 08:44PM
I've been using my Lexmark Optra E310 B&W laser printer for 6.5 years now. I've replaced the toner just once (last year) - so I've really gotten my money's worth from this printer. It still works flawlessly and looks brand new.

I got the toner cartridge here [www.4inkjets.com] for $46.43 shipped by going through [www.fatwallet.com] with a coupon and cashback.

*´¨)
¸.·´¸.·*´¨) ¸.·*¨)
(¸.·´ (¸.·´How about if you greased them up first? Are chihuahua's cooperative pack hunters? ~TheCaber

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/24/2006 10:24PM by joycee.
Posted by: msienkiewicz
Date: January 24, 2006 10:09PM
MacGurl Wrote:
> MGS_forgot_password Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Samsung ML-1740 that I got for $30 after
> rebate
> > last year. It's great.
>
> I got one of those right before Christmas, at
> Microcenter, for $79.99, with no rebates attached.
> What a deal, and it got me out from under the yoke
> of inkjet printer hell (what a scam that is, with
> the cost of ink and unreliability issues).
> I'm very happy with this Samsung - it's well up to
> the task of my light printing needs.
>
> Kathy
>

I also have the one of these - got it early last year. It's been working fine for me as well. Much better than my old Epson 740. I don't print often so I was always having trouble with that inkjet. The only minus was Samsung USA's lack of support for Mac.
Posted by: Speedy
Date: January 24, 2006 10:22PM
1 x Apple LaserWriter 16/600

1 x Apple LaserWriter 630
Posted by: ATT
Date: January 24, 2006 11:47PM
HP 6mp at home. Have it networked via a parallel print server, and connected to my router. I am able to connect and print wirelessly.

Use various HP laserjet at work. 4050, 2100, 1200, and 1020. They all serve different purpose. By far the most reliable one is the 4050. They built those like a tank.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 338
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018