advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Does a more logical network setup make for a more stable Safari?
Posted by: tuqqer
Date: January 24, 2006 11:53PM
I've been having network problems in my home office for months, ever since getting a new setup here in our boondocks 2-mile wifi connection. My hardwired Ethernet G5 did okay, but no wireless laptop would stay connected for more than a few minutes. Further, iChat would disconnect every 10 minutes or so.

What the new network guy did was set up my two routers as a separate subnet than my neighbors. It was just a guess on his part, after 4 hours of scratching our heads. But it worked. iChat is rock solid. Emails leave in like 2 seconds, instead of 10. But the biggest surprise is that Safari doesn't crash, which it was doing more and more, even after trashing prefs, trashing bookmarks, etc. My networker's best guess is that with the confusing router subnet, and the dual routers, packets did not have a clear path for where to go.

But could that actually have affected Safari's stability? I mean it's rock solid. No crashes all evening.

Mac Pro 2013 3.7GHz Quad-Core, 32G RAM Catalina 10.15.x Dual 25" Acer 1440p LCDs11" i5 MacBook Air
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Does a more logical network setup make for a more stable Safari?
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: January 25, 2006 01:50PM
Sounds possible. In my early days of DSL service, I had a very flaky connection -until I put a router into the mix.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 177
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018