Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $101.60 ( -0.06 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Taping HDTV on a VCR?
Posted by: rocketiz
Date: May 13, 2007 07:54PM
Naive question: I recently bought a LCD tv with a ATSC tuner that has HDtv. It has output connections. When I attatched
my VCR to the TVs output all I could record was sound,
but no picture. Is this due to the digital video or is there
some other problem.

Thanks
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Taping HDTV on a VCR?
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: May 13, 2007 08:02PM
It's the resolution of the video signal. The only way to record it onto tape (besides running it through a DVR/computer and re-encoding) is to use a D-VHS recorder.

What you can do though, is to change the settings of your tuner (if allowed...on many external receivers you can easily do this) to turn off the HD signal, and accept the SD signal instead. Your VCR will then be able to capture the video too.

Date: May 13, 2007 08:15PM
Thanks for the info. I'm not sure if I can change the tuners'
settings, but I'll look at the crummy owners
manual.
Posted by: space-time
Date: May 13, 2007 08:29PM
you basically try to use a device from 1970s or so with a technology that was mainstream in very late 1990s or 2000s, so no, it's not gonna work. Unless the VCR you mention is a very new one, like OTDL mentioned, a D-VHS or another beast like this that allows you to record HD signals on tape.

why not record directly on VCR and then watch on the LCD TV (at standard definition, of course). This way you enjoy HDTV whenever you watch live TV, but then have SD signal whenever you time-shift.
Date: May 13, 2007 09:34PM
space-time, "why not record directly on VCR and then watch on the LCD TV (at standard definition, of course)."

Because the HD video is soo much better than the SD that I
get on my VCR. Probably I should get a DVDR with HD capability.
Posted by: Forrest
Date: May 13, 2007 11:00PM
You'll be able to capture about 250 lines of resolution with a VCR, SD is about 480 lines and HD is 1280. So it doesn't matter what your video source is - you'll only get 250 lines of resoution out of a VCR.

If you really want to record HD digital signal - you'll need a HD DVR or a HD Tuner connected via USB2/Firewire to your computer (running at a minimum of 2 GHz).
Posted by: mikebw
Date: May 14, 2007 12:08AM
How did you have it connected? What outputs exactly?

If you're using the composite video output from the TV to the VCR then it should work. As Forrest mentioned the resolution the VHS can capture is very low, but composite video can't carry HD resolution either so it is already designed to output lower res video.
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: May 14, 2007 09:57AM
Get one of these:

[www.elgato.com]

"EyeTV Hybrid records digital TV in one quality setting, Lossless. The digital stream is recorded unaltered, and so you’re getting full quality digital content as encoded by the broadcaster."

Not bad for $150, if you've got a recent Mac available for this, which happens to be hooked up to your TV.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: May 14, 2007 11:50AM
Forrest
If you really want to record HD digital signal - you'll need a HD DVR or a HD Tuner connected via USB2/Firewire to your computer (running at a minimum of 2 GHz).

2GHz??
Only to do playback on the computer.
Recording requires minimal overhead.
I used my Pismo400 for months to record HD via an EyeTV500.

BFnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Forrest
Date: May 14, 2007 07:12PM
You'll need a lot of processing power to playback a full screen HD signal. It's been widely reported the 1.42 GHz G4 Macmini can't do it - you'll need 2 GHz.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login