advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $97.67 ( +0.64 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
So... If I cancel Cable and only keep internet... What happens?
Posted by: spacescape
Date: May 24, 2007 08:57AM
I am sick of cable and really only want local cable which is probably less than $15 per month. If I cancel the cable, my internet will go up probably $10 a month. If we just turn in the box, will the cable company come out and put a BLOCK to prevent us from watching TV?

Yes, I know it's not ethical if I watch TV but I am asking anyhow...

Bill
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: So... If I cancel Cable and only keep internet... What happens?
Posted by: Jp!
Date: May 24, 2007 09:04AM
My internet-only cable broadband did NOT have television transmissions on it.
Posted by: Jem
Date: May 24, 2007 09:05AM
Bill,

We current have Comcast BASIC cable ($13.50/month) and Cable Internet (~$50/month). If we cancelled the BASIC level of cable service, our internet would increase by $10.

Thus, it is worth $3.50/month to have the BASIC service left on.

If you have EXPANDED basic Cable TV ($40/month) you may save money by downgrading to BASIC, without losing your Internet Discount.
Posted by: Sam3
Date: May 24, 2007 09:05AM
If you just subscribe to the ultra basic, the basic that cable companies have to supply, then your internet rate shouldn't go up at all. It works out that you'd be getting your basic cable for 'free', as the no-cable surcharge is usually about $10-$15 while basic cable is in the same price range. They will put a filter onto your line to block any frequencies above a certain channel, our basic, basic cable goes up to channel 33 or so. We don't watch much TV, and we got tired of paying $30-$40/month for something we rarely used.
Posted by: onthedownlow
Date: May 24, 2007 10:29AM
I had something similar, though I never had cable in the first place (at this house I had DirecTV). I merely ordered RoadRunner (Time Warner) - you could get it for the same price w/o a cable package - and they never put a video filter on my line, so I received all analog stations, minus premium/movie packages.

I know that even 'knowing' you are obtaining this service for free, and not doing anything about it, it is still considered stealing and can land someone in hot water (I did my research)...so after a month (wanted to wait for my bill to make sure I wasn't being charged), I contacted them via phone message, and then emails to let them know that I was receiving it for free and that somebody needed to come out and install the filter outside. I never heard a reply back. This went on for nearly 2 years. I emailed them every couple of months, with no reply except for an automated email saying they received my 'request'.

I do think I may of received one email, from somebody, acknowledging "okay, we'll look into it"...but nothing was ever done. I kept all of my correspondence in case something would of came of it all...but nothing.

When I moved into my newer house...same thing happened. Free cable. I notified them all like before, and although it did go on for several months, I think they finally installed a filter on it after a year - when they came to perform service on a new neighbor.

So who knows. lol

Posted by: blusubaru
Date: May 24, 2007 10:50AM
You don't say which carrier you have, but I was down this road not three weeks ago. If you cancel cable tv and keep cable internet, Comcast will not only charge you more for internet but downgrade your quality as well. I know a house that has Comcast internet, was ATT@Home before Comcast bought them out. They pay for internet only. The install tech. told them they can't separate tv from internet and he went ahead and wired them for both. They've been getting "free" cable television for years while just paying for internet. Now, when there's a problem on the line and the real techs come out to inspect, they may lose a channel from time to time. But they can't complain about it because they're not paying for it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2007 10:50AM by blusubaru.
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 24, 2007 11:15AM
One more thing to check into is if the internet speed is any different without a TV cable subscription. I seem to recall that Comcast gives 6Mb/s with TV subscription and 4Mb/s without, so maybe paying for the cheap basic cable will get you the discount on the broadband service and let you keep your current speed, and you'll get those TV channels for when you rarely watch, at about the same price as if you went for Internet only.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: May 24, 2007 11:27AM
Jem
Bill,

We current have Comcast BASIC cable ($13.50/month) and Cable Internet (~$50/month). If we cancelled the BASIC level of cable service, our internet would increase by $10.

Thus, it is worth $3.50/month to have the BASIC service left on.

If you have EXPANDED basic Cable TV ($40/month) you may save money by downgrading to BASIC, without losing your Internet Discount.

Same here. Originally Comcast, well ATTBI, well ATT@Home, well @HOME... just charged for internet but somewhere along the line they added an additional lease fee. I used to pay $30+$10 for a modem lease. Now Comcrap has me paying $40ish + $10 for a modem lease. Sometimes with their random fees, taxes and fees for charging fees and taxes (and then the tax on that) the bill goes over $60/mo.

I'll be getting basic cable TV sometime soon. At a net of ~$3/mo, it's worth it.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: GGD
Date: May 24, 2007 12:57PM
> +$10 for a modem lease

Wow, are they really charging $10/mo for the modem? Two years ago when I got Comcast I thought their rate was around $3/mo. and I decided to buy my own modem for about $60 after rebate thinking I would break even in 20 months. At $10/mo. you should really consider buying a modem.
Posted by: Don C
Date: May 24, 2007 03:41PM
I've had two "issues" that worked out well with my cable folks.

When the @Home technician connected my cable modem he bumped up our service from basic to a mid level, but never we continued to be charged for the basic level of service. I purchased the modem at that time.

A few years later, the modem went out and Insight replaced the it at no additional cost. The tech discovered the additional service, however, and managed to notify the billing department, so all of a sudden our bill went up.

Figure that was OK, as they'd replaced my modem AND I'd gotten a couple of years of TV service. BTW: with digital and HD service to one TV, analogue to the other TV's and internet, my monthly bill comes to right at $100! We're considering dumping the HD and using an antenna for that service. Not yet ready to move on it.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: May 24, 2007 06:11PM
Current Comcast rates and speeds, compiled by users across the country:

[www.dslreports.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login