Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $93.94 ( -0.49 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How To Kill/Remove Tadpoles?
Posted by: karsen
Date: June 08, 2007 08:20AM
Frog lovers may hate me for this, but it's got to be done. No doubt though I'll get flamed for this.

We have a small pond outside of my daughters bedroom window, kind of a moat if you will. A few years back we had tadpoles in there and everyone was all excited, until they metamorphisized into frogs – hundreds of little, extremely LOUD frogs. So loud it kept everyone in the house from sleeping. Then there was the from pee all over the house and walkway. Yuck.

Here's the options I came up with:
- Try and remove them with a net, impossible to get them all.
- Pour some pesticides in the water
- Try and drain the pond

So what would you do? Ideas?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How To Kill/Remove Tadpoles?
Posted by: MikeF
Date: June 08, 2007 08:35AM
I would think mosquitos would be a bigger issue (and safety wise).

Is there anything else living in the pond? How about making it into a "pool" by adding chlorine tablets?
Posted by: Jem
Date: June 08, 2007 08:39AM
Draining the pond is your only real and humane option.

They will keep coming back.

However, if they are "peepers" the racket should only last for a few weeks in the spring.

The tadpoles don't make any noise, it is the mommas and the poppas coming back to make more tadpoles that is the source of your caucaphony.

You can kill the tadpoles, but if the pond persists, parent frogs can't resist... and will return.
Posted by: mstudio
Date: June 08, 2007 08:45AM
No help from me, sorry. When you put the "water feature" in, did you not think you would attraction some sort of wildlife? A neighbor put a pond in and freaked out when the raccoons came around for a drink. They want to kill them now for doing what is natural. I offered to trap them and relocate instead of their solution.
I guess if you just can't have the little guys around, remove them as humanly as possible, and drain/fill in the pond and plant some flowers, unless you don't want any bugs or butterflies around.
Sorry, nothing personal, you may not have put the pond in. I just don't like messing with Mother Nature.
Posted by: Jp!
Date: June 08, 2007 08:47AM
karsen
Frog lovers may hate me for this, but it's got to be done. No doubt though I'll get flamed for this.

We have a small pond outside of my daughters bedroom window, kind of a moat if you will. A few years back we had tadpoles in there and everyone was all excited, until they metamorphisized into frogs – hundreds of little, extremely LOUD frogs. So loud it kept everyone in the house from sleeping. Then there was the from pee all over the house and walkway. Yuck.

Here's the options I came up with:
- Try and remove them with a net, impossible to get them all.
- Pour some pesticides in the water
- Try and drain the pond

So what would you do? Ideas?

I am about to shoot OUR frogs, too. I hear you! Ours are bull frogs. Very loud, deep blurting. Easy to catch, though. And I used to bring them in for a guy that ate them.

And, I thought the frogs (missing/deformed) were precursors to some impending environmental disaster? Not at YOUR place, eh?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2007 08:48AM by Jp!.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: June 08, 2007 09:00AM
Damn! I miss the sound of frogs chirruping at night... it's so peaceful. It puts me right to sleep.

In the city, I've got noise from the giant compressors on the roofs of the neighboring buildings, airplanes, trains braking, trucks revving and sirens at all hours.

I'll trade you for the frogs.
Posted by: iaJim
Date: June 08, 2007 09:13AM
Frogs and toads in your pond are a sign of a healthy environment. If you don't want them, I join with others in saying that you should get rid of the pond. Nature is hard at work there, and that should be a pleasure. The tadpoles are silent and will eath the algae in the pond. We get very excited about having them in our pond.
Posted by: x-uri
Date: June 08, 2007 09:26AM
How big is the pond? Koi will eat frogspawn (the gelatinous clumps that frog and toad eggs come in) and tadpoles, and will glide silently around your pond looking very Zen-like.
Posted by: ArtP
Date: June 08, 2007 09:32AM
How about adding a fish in the pond to eat the Tadpoles. Go fishing with a barbless hook and catch a few Bluegills or Panfish and put them in the Pond. In the Fall return them back to the River.

You may be able to put a Oscar or other Cichlid from a Pet Shop in there IF the temperature remains pretty constant. Also some larger catfish may be an option. Only problem is what to do with them in fall when they are huge.
Posted by: IronMac
Date: June 08, 2007 09:32AM
MacMagus
In the city, I've got noise from the giant compressors on the roofs of the neighboring buildings, airplanes, trains braking, trucks revving and sirens at all hours.

I'll trade you for the frogs.

I'm with you on this, MM! Get this, my apt is directly beneath the route that medical helicopters take to land. They don't do it often but it's a real pain at 4 in the morning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2007 09:33AM by IronMac.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: June 08, 2007 09:42AM
Frogs are the first to go when the environment turns bad and the last to come back when it turns good. I agree with some posters here although i would add that, ( depending on the pond size) you should get some largemouth bass.

LM bass eat grown frogs. If you wait long enough, those frogs will attract a heron ( if the right area) or similar birds of prey.

Matbe a KingFisher?

EIther way, I highly suggest letting nature deal with the frog bounty.

3P
Posted by: grad
Date: June 08, 2007 09:53AM
Drain the Pond. Don't just kill wildlife because they are loud... also it would not set a good example for your kids to just kill animals (humans, frogs, etc.) because they are "annoying".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2007 09:54AM by grad.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: June 08, 2007 10:00AM

YOU WILL LEAVE THE FROGS & TADPOLES ALONE.

Posted by: Stephanie
Date: June 08, 2007 10:20AM
Ok, why not put the tadpoles in a bucket of water and offer them up on the Freecycle list?

I'm with the others who say "don't kill wildlife" when it was basically you who invited them in the first place. I hear about far too many people wanting to kill the snakes in their yards because they're eating their precious goldfish.

Keep the predators around and they'll help solve your frog problem naturally.

It would be nice if more people were truly willing to co-exist with wildlife...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: June 08, 2007 10:23AM
I've gotten used to the sound of frogs in the spring...

What I STILL hate is when they're going full blast in spring.... and then all of them, all at once, quite suddenly, STOP.

I'll be half asleep, and all of a sudden they all STOP... and it's eerie quiet...

Then they all start up again.

I'm guessing either there is a really scary monster out there, or the "paris hilton of frogs" just walked in to the party with a big ketchup stain on her dress...

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: June 08, 2007 10:32AM
Have you tried yelling "Campbells' Soup"?

Todd's confederate keyboard
Posted by: MacGurl
Date: June 08, 2007 11:36AM
Humm, a few big crawdads maybe, if you simply must try to be rid of them? You could pick up crawdads at a live bait shop, or catch your own. Don't know if the crawdads would help or not, but they can't hurt.

Kathy

Date: June 08, 2007 12:10PM
MacMagnus said: "Damn! I miss the sound of frogs chirruping at night... it's so peaceful. It puts me right to sleep. "

MacMagnus, these frogs do not chirp. They are so loud it's impossible to sleep. You can't even think when they get going. I've been on the phone and had people tell me it's hard to hear me because of the frogs. Trust me, it's NOT peaceful. It borders on insanity.

Stephanie said: "It would be nice if more people were truly willing to co-exist with wildlife..."

I do my best to co-exsist with nature. My entire yard is a haven for wild life. I've xeriscaped to conserve water, put birdhouses and birdbaths all over the place to control mosquitos. Working on building bat houses. I rarely use pesticides and almost always seek natural means to insect control. The squirrels get fed. The snakes love it here. Lizards everywhere. Butterflies, etc. I don't mess with them, they don't mess with me. We sit back and watch the show.

I had koi in the pond for years. After a hurricane we had some roof damage and they died which brought on our first frog invasion. I think the koi died from the petroleum used in shingles and the water run off from the damaged roof into the water. I've tried several times since then to get fish back in there but they always die. Maybe the Koi will live now. I'll try a couple gold fish as testers.

One thing I forgot to mention about the frogs is my wife is deathly scared of them. To the point she can't breathe when they are near her.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: June 08, 2007 12:35PM
I wonder if some crayfish would survive in the pond. Does it stay warm throughout the year?

They eat tadpoles.
Date: June 08, 2007 12:52PM
There's a couple nights a year that get below freezing here.
Posted by: MacGurl
Date: June 08, 2007 12:56PM
Right - but you still still try the crawdads for now - it's warm enough.

Kathy
Date: June 08, 2007 01:07PM
Beware of messing with Mother Nature or this could happen to you too:

[www.blackhorrormovies.com]
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 08, 2007 02:53PM
The folks who like the sound of frogs have to realize that it's one thing if they're in the distance. But if they're right outside your window it's freaking LOUD.

Karsen, fish won't eat the adult frogs who are making all the racket with their mating calls. I think you need to drain the pond. At least get it some distance away from your house.

My neighbors put a pond in their front yard about 30 feet from my office window (where I spend most of my time when I'm awake). It attracts toads. Several times during the summer when the toads want to mate, it is unbearable for days at a time so I know how you feel. It's not just annoying, it actually hurts my ears.

Date: June 08, 2007 05:40PM
Yes, it does hurt your ears. Thankfully, there are no adult frogs making sounds YET. It was a problem I previously had and since had the offending frogs relocated.

Right now there's just hundreds, if not thousands of tadpoles in the pond. I'm looking to solve the problem before it starts.

I wasn't sure where to get craw fish or a bass around here so I went with another possible solution.

Someone suggested pouring salt in the water will kill tadpoles and makes the water unattractive to breeding frogs. I tried that thinking it would have minimal impact on the environment since I'd like to get back in there eventually.

Results TBA.
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: June 08, 2007 07:19PM
Date: June 08, 2007 09:59PM
karsen
Yes, it does hurt your ears. Thankfully, there are no adult frogs making sounds YET. It was a problem I previously had and since had the offending frogs relocated.

Right now there's just hundreds, if not thousands of tadpoles in the pond. I'm looking to solve the problem before it starts.

I wasn't sure where to get craw fish or a bass around here so I went with another possible solution.

Someone suggested pouring salt in the water will kill tadpoles and makes the water unattractive to breeding frogs. I tried that thinking it would have minimal impact on the environment since I'd like to get back in there eventually.

Results TBA.

I hate to say it, but do you know what the odor of 10,000 rotting tadpoles smells like?

You soon will... seriously. Hope you're upwind.
Date: June 09, 2007 12:24AM
Jem
I hate to say it, but do you know what the odor of 10,000 rotting tadpoles smells like?

You soon will... seriously. Hope you're upwind.

Yeah well... gdi. I didn't think it through I guess! grinning smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2007 12:24AM by karsen.
Date: June 09, 2007 05:51AM
Karsen,

You may get lucky. Once they die, if it is possible to scoop them out and dispose of them elsewhere, that migh reduce the bio load.

I should have mentioned this before, but using any kind of poison to kill a large number of organisms in a small body of water is a recipe for disaster, if you intend to keep the body of water as an aesthetic part of your landscape.

When you kill all the tadpoles, they will of course decompose, which uses a huge amount of oxygen from the pond water. If the salt doesn't kill everything else too, the pond going anoxic (completely with out oxygen) will... except for certain types of green slimey algea.

The result is a dead pool of slimey green water.

If the the pond is large enough to absorb the O2 demands of all the dying and decomposing tadpoles, it may eventually bounce back, assuming the salt is eventually flushed out... but if that happens the frogs will come back again. Better to just drain it.

On a somewhat amusing side note... My local Fire Dept. used to field requests from members of the community to assist them with filling swimming pools. The theory was we'd use the 1500 gallon tanks (and 1250 gpm pumps) of our engine to shuttle water from our local firepond to their new in ground pool. This was fine with us because it was essentially a good "water shuttle drill" similar to what we'd do when establishing a water supply for the main attack engine at a working structure fire.

Anyway... someone didn't think this through because like almost all fireponds at this time of year, ours was teeming with tadpoles. Those tadpoles were pulled *through* a 1/4" screen of the dry hydrant intake, into the engine pump (essentially a HUGE food processor), and then into the engine water tank to be transported to the pool owners new pool. The pool owner thought they'd just have to change the filters a couple extra times in the first week to get the "pond flavor" out of the water... not so.

Over the next 24 hours, the pulverized tadpole soup went absolutely rancid. The pool filter was overwhelmed by the amount of organic content, and a week later the water looked (and smelled!) little better. It was eventually drained, but they then discovered that the plastic pool liner had been stained by the pond water AND retained a funky pond smell to it. The owners eventually gave up, having destroyed their pool just to save a few bucks on the initial water delivery fee from the pool company. Oops.

Moral of the story? Don't mess with the tadpoles, or in the end they'll mess with you ;)
Posted by: AllGold
Date: June 09, 2007 11:58AM
Put in lots of extra salt and you can have tadpole anchovies. smiling smiley

Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: June 15, 2007 01:31AM
Paul F.
I'm guessing either there is a really scary monster out there, or the "paris hilton of frogs" just walked in to the party with a big ketchup stain on her dress...

I don't think that was a ketchup stain...

-------------------------------------------------------

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Posted by: lorena love
Date: July 23, 2012 12:26PM
No one has mentioned the invasion of frogs not meant to be in a certain environment. I live in Florida, and we have intrusive cuban tree frogs. These frogs hopped a ride on ships and exotic plants to get here. They get up to over 6 inches long and do not eat bugs. They prey on lizards, baby birds, baby squirrels and also all our native frogs. I unknowingly helped raise these. Now, two years later, I have learned what distruction they bring. And unlike our natives, who have hundreds of tadpoles, these cubans have thousands and are litterly killing our natuaral florida world. What am I to do?
I do not like killing anymore than the any other who loves nature. I would do anything to protect it, even killing these that do not belong here.
I to want to stop this from going farther than it has by getting rid of the tadpoles before they became frogs.
I know it is not the cubans fault. It is what it is, though. I now look at it like squashing a roach. It must be done. But how is the question? Should I flush them, as there skin would soak up waste and die. Pour bleach in the water? or freeze them?
What is the most humane way? I read all these post and everyone says save them. I don't believe the people who wrote these realize my situation. If I do nothing, then all we will have around here is cuban frogs and not only would this mess up the natural eco system of florida, but I would miss all the other creatures who were meant to be here.
Please help, someone who has the guts and courage to do what needs to be done and may have gone through the same thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login