advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Optical drive in a G4 iBook
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 17, 2007 04:59AM
Number two daughter has been telling me over the last few weeks of the gradually increasing problems with the optical drive in her G4 1.2 GHz iBook. I think it's a CD-Writer but it started having failed burns, then being temperamental in playing CDs or DVDs but now it won't work at all.

How easy is the swapping to a new drive and any aspects of the job I should be wary about?

I'm hoping that someone will post a link to an Apple 'How to do it' page which begs another question. Whenever I want to do jobs like this I know that there are instructions out there but I'm damned if I can find them. I'm obviously putting in the wrong words yet others can come up with the answers almost instantly.

Then again I never did get to work out how to programme the VCR properly. must be something inbuilt.

Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Optical drive in a G4 iBook
Posted by: GGD
Date: June 17, 2007 05:45AM
iBooks are a royal pain to work on, and require a lot of patience and care. Here's a guide so that you have some idea of what you're getting into. Apple doesn't consider the optical drive inside of an iBook to be customer replacable

[www.ifixit.com]

You also may be able to find an Apple service manual for the iBook somewhere on the net.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2007 05:47AM by GGD.
Date: June 17, 2007 06:35AM
Ye gods that looks difficult! I have a feeling I will not be attempting that. I have a bus powered Firewire CD-Writer she can have, I suppose it will play DVDs.

Thank you for pointing me towards that instruction page. I was quite amused at the ' To reassemble your laptop, simply follow the directions in reverse order.'

Simply????

Posted by: chas_m
Date: June 17, 2007 10:36AM
G4 iBooks are the least fun model of Mac to work on. I think we've counted 69 screws, all different sizes, MUST BE PUT BACK IN PRECISE ORDER or the thing will NEVER sit right again.

We usually suggest to customers to lug an external burner around. It's cheaper, it's faster, it's more versatile.

However, sometimes that's not practical. For those customers, we suggest this:
[www.iresq.com]
Price: $219 which I believe includes shipping. Call em for details.

chas_m

[crawlingfromtheusa.blogspot.com] <-- Moving to Canada blog
Date: June 17, 2007 11:34AM
chas_m
However, sometimes that's not practical. For those customers, we suggest this:
[www.iresq.com]
Price: $219 which I believe includes shipping. Call em for details.

I will see if there is a UK equivalent.

I've pointed my Sonic Screwdriver (last Father's Day gift) at it but to no avail.

Posted by: jdc
Date: June 17, 2007 12:04PM
have you tried cleaning the drive?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018