AAPL stock: $100.53 ( +1.37 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Expired Organic Eggs
Posted by: kap
Date: June 17, 2007 11:33PM
Is it alright to eat expired organic eggs? TiA

Kap

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Expired Organic Eggs
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: June 17, 2007 11:37PM
If you're OK w/expired eggs in general, it should work fine for you.

Date: June 18, 2007 12:01AM
Boiled four. Ate one. Still surfing the forum. It is all good!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2007 12:03AM by kap.
Posted by: trisho.
Date: June 18, 2007 01:54AM
How expired are they? 1 or 2 days...probably fine. About two weeks? Not so fine.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: June 18, 2007 02:03AM
Easy test, drop them in water. If they lie on the bottom then they are perfect. If they lie below the surface but upright they are still OK to eat but not as fresh. If they float then throw them away. To do with the gases produced as the egg goes off.

Posted by: Mike V
Date: June 18, 2007 02:25AM
Yeah, the float test is what I go off too.

Posted by: Racer X
Date: June 18, 2007 04:55AM
I saw on a show on the food network that usually the expire date is 1 month after they are laid, but they are usually safe for over another month past that. I usually don't worry until at least a month past.
Date: June 18, 2007 05:06AM
Racer X
I saw on a show on the food network that usually the expire date is 1 month after they are laid, but they are usually safe for over another month past that. I usually don't worry until at least a month past.

Could well be but of course the way they are stored will have a huge bearing on it. The float/not float test will tell you for sure and it's quick and easy.

Posted by: Jp!
Date: June 18, 2007 05:20AM
kap

I can only take so much cuteness,... can you get a less cute puppy pic? ;)
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: June 18, 2007 05:32AM
voodoopenguin
Easy test, drop them in water. If they lie on the bottom then they are perfect. If they lie below the surface but upright they are still OK to eat but not as fresh. If they float then throw them away. To do with the gases produced as the egg goes off.

This method will definately work if you also suspect the eggs of witchery. Especially if they are Duck eggs carried to your home by a Swallow.

Villagers: (enter yelling) A witch! A witch! We've found a witch! Burn her! Burn her!

(After Sir Bedimere gets the crowd to admit that they dressed her up as a witch, their only basis for accusing her is that one of them claims that she turned him into a newt. But because he "got better", they need some way of determining her guilt).

Bedimere: there are ways of telling if she's a witch. What do you do with witches?

Villagers: Burn them!

Bedimere: And what do you burn, apart from witches?

Villagers: Wood?

Bedimere: Right! So why do witches burn?

Villagers: Because they're made of wood?

Bedimere: Right! . Now, what else do you do with wood?

Villagers: Build bridges with it!

Bedimere: But do we not also build bridges from stone; does wood float in water?

Villagers: Yes.

Bedimere: And what else floats on water?

villagers: Bread? No, no, no. Apples... gravy... churches... very small rocks!

King Arthur: A duck!

Bedimere: Right! So, if she weighs the same as a duck, she'd float in water, and she must be made of wood, so.

Villagers: A witch! Burn her!

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!
Date: June 18, 2007 06:07AM
Jp!
kap

I can only take so much cuteness,... can you get a less cute puppy pic? ;)

Better?

Date: June 18, 2007 06:45AM
good thing I was not taking a drink!
Posted by: spacescape
Date: June 18, 2007 07:45AM
I've been told by my uncle, who has several hens that lay brown eggs, the eggs in the store can be up to 3 months old. I don't 100% believe him and I don't want to... Why? Because that is just wrong. This has nothing to do with him making more profit selling HIS eggs. Why? Because he doesn't sell eggs for a living. He just owns property which he owns about 8-10 horses and my cousin bought some chickens to keep in the chicken coupe which sat empty for 28-30 years to sell eggs for 4H (or is that 3H). $1.00 a dozen isn't going to make anyone rich when you only have 10-20 chickens. But, she had fun doing it.

Mmmmm, Chicken coupes sure smell great... BLAH...

Just tell me my uncle is not telling me the truth (even if you don't know) so I can stop looking at the eggs at the grocery store without feeling sick.

Oh, and if you ask me, brown eggs from his Red Hens don't taste as good as White eggs...

Bill
Posted by: spacescape
Date: June 18, 2007 07:46AM
Date: June 18, 2007 08:40AM
Hey, it's the day after and I am still alive and kicking smiling smiley The floating and not floating test I shall use to calm my S/O. Thanks everyone.

Jp! He is cute and knows it too ... he's totally a chick magnet ;)

Voodoo, what breed is that one?

Date: June 18, 2007 09:27AM
kap

Voodoo, what breed is that one?

No idea, I just Googled for a picture with the words 'puppy' and 'horror'!

Date: June 18, 2007 09:55AM
it's freaking hilarious.
Posted by: Stompy
Date: June 19, 2007 02:06PM
spacescape
I've been told by my uncle, who has several hens that lay brown eggs, the eggs in the store can be up to 3 months old.

Legally? No.

USDA requires that eggs be packed within 30 days of production. The reality is that large egg producers (think supermarket suppliers) pack eggs < 24 hours after the egg is laid.

Sell by date (printed on every carton) is 30 days after packing. Again, USDA regs.

This means that USDA allows a maximum of 60 days, but it's much more likely that the sell by date is 30-31 days after the egg was laid.

To make this simple, if you look at a carton and the date is 21 days away, it was packed 9 days ago. (And is likely 9-10 days old). If your uncle refrigerates them more than a week or two after they are laid, they're not significantly fresher than what he's ranting about.

As for the taste of an egg, that depends on the type of chicken, but also on what the chicken eats. Could be his feed is giving the eggs an unusual flavor, or if his hens are free range, they're eating something besides the feed.

Your motherearthnews link is a little outdated. That experiment was done in 1977. Since that time, most producers coat eggs with mineral oil immediately after washing, replacing the naturally occurring egg oil (or blum) that has been removed. Today, there shouldn't be any reason a washed egg wouldn't last as long as an unwashed egg.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2007 02:08PM by Stompy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login