advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Any silversmith artisans out there? Fancy schmancy crafted cufflinks sought.
Posted by: 3d
Date: July 09, 2007 10:29AM
So i have this wedding to go to next month and i would like to buy some new cufflinks for the occasion. Aside from the usual online sources for cufflinks like www.cuff-daddy.com are there any local artisans or silversmiths you guys and gals have used to purchase one-of-a-kind cufflinks from? Crafted sterling silver would be nice. Not too much into gold.

I found this site:
[www.cuffart.com]

Very cool looking one-of-a-kind stuff there.
Meteorite metals. Scultped glass.

I missed out on some great vintage Allan Adler cufflinks on eBay over the weekend sad smiley
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Any silversmith artisans out there? Fancy schmancy crafted cufflinks sought.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: July 09, 2007 10:56AM
Buy some designed by Georg Jensen, vintage or new -have them fed exed to you
Re: Any silversmith artisans out there? Fancy schmancy crafted cufflinks sought.
Date: July 09, 2007 11:32AM
Oooooo,,, Yes, something like these. But without the "Georg Jensen" price would be nice.

[cgi.ebay.com]
Date: July 09, 2007 12:22PM
Note - the vintage items and some ebayers ask outrageous prices.

Some of the same designs are done new and sold at gift shops and jewelers. You can find good prices on these.
Date: July 09, 2007 12:29PM
[cgi.ebay.com]

[cgi.ebay.com]

Same ones going for hundreds on another auction

Keep in mind the measuremments which help make the designs not so dainty.

[cgi.ebay.com]

these are 3/4 inch and very deco - cool
Date: July 09, 2007 12:43PM
I'll eradicate the word "vintage" from all of my future searches smiling smiley Thanks!
Date: July 09, 2007 12:47PM
No don't because you can get a good deal from ebay and google - also note folks frequently list under the misspelled George, instead of Georg

Look under jensen silver, jensen sterling, george jensen, georg jensen

I collect Jensen. :-)
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: July 09, 2007 12:52PM
I would suggest contacting a local jeweler/silversmith... and see what he/she may have squirreled away or may be able to custom make for you on fairly short order.

A cufflink is not a complicated design, technically...

I only dabble in metalwork in the jewelry area.. but once (a long time ago) considered a pair of cufflinks as a gift for a friend who was getting married. Ran out of time and made him a barbeque set of utensils at the forge and anvil instead (which his dense wife to this DAY thinks are fireplace tools... It's a SPATULA, not a SHOVEL, you dumb bimbo!.... but I digress...).

If you find a pair of earrings at a swap meet, flea market, pawn shop, etc, that you think would make good manly looking cufflinks, you might be able to work with a jeweler to mount cufflink studs on the backs.
Get creative.. you may end up with something cooler than you thought you could afford!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Date: July 09, 2007 02:32PM
Thanks for the additional tips! My search continues...

If anyone personally knows of a jeweler/silversmith who might be interested in getting some business shoot me a note or post up the info. An inquiring mind would like to know!
Posted by: Charles Topping
Date: July 09, 2007 05:23PM
Your query has gotten to me through a friend...I've registered and now the answer....I'm a Master Metalsmith, doing classical metalsmithing in all metals. One of the main things I do is to design and make jewelry in my studio for galleries and by commission.

The first part is to decide on "what's it gonna look like?" Fancy is pretty subjective. Can you narrow that down to Art Nouveau or Celtic or sculptural or geometric or organic or something with a gem or a drawing or a catalog picture with changes,,,,,someplace to start the discussion......or leave it to me to be creative in a small space.

More ideas to muse upon......your initials intertwined......zodiac sign......some symbol meaningful to you......an image or character.....a logo.....a word or graphic you like.....
Date: July 09, 2007 06:45PM
Suh-weet!

Hi Charles,
Welcome to the MacResource/Metalsmith/SepticTanks/Plaster/Gerbil forums smiling smiley

Please check your private messages in 10 mins. I'll send you a note with my eMail, contact info, and some details of what i had in mind. I hope we can work something out. Now I'm psyched!
Posted by: artie67
Date: July 09, 2007 06:54PM
Is this the Mr. Topping that I took a design class in Santa Barbara(Chip Foose got an A)?I exited to the wood side of design. He is a solid craftsmith and given the design you want will be no problem...
Date: July 09, 2007 07:26PM
l also collect work by 1930's to present by Mexican Silversmiths

Vintage Mexican Silver Jewelry and Objects by Spratling, Antonio Pineda, Frederick Davis, Margot, Hector Aguilar, Salvadore, Los Castillo, Los Ballesteros ...

also on ebay

If time is a crunch.
Date: July 09, 2007 07:42PM
[cgi.ebay.com]

or just plug in mexican cufflinks
Date: July 09, 2007 07:49PM
[cgi.ebay.com]

ttp://cgi.ebay.com/Mexican-Modernist-Handwrought-925-Stone-Cufflinks1940s_W0QQitemZ160134517341QQihZ006QQcategoryZ52609QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one has buy it now
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 169
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018