Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.59 ( +0.02 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Help! Can't Open Photoshop
Posted by: MysteryGuest
Date: July 16, 2007 01:16PM
When I try to open Photoshop it hangs at "Updating Adobe Online Components from Adobe.com." Downloading files 1 of 2 and the file that is downloading when it stops is AWEXFiles.txt. I can't find that on my drive. The path is Library>Application Support>Abobe>Web but it's an incomplete path with ellipses. I can't locate this "web" folder.

Edited to add: found the fix at Adobe forums. Thanks for looking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/16/2007 01:26PM by MysteryGuest.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Help! Can't Open Photoshop
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: July 16, 2007 01:29PM
First, dump the Settings folder manually, and then it should open. Once it does, go to the PS Preferences and make sure you disable the option to automatically check for updates at start up.

I haven't used PS 7 for several years, but I seem to remember that automatic update thing being really wonky. It's not actually downloading anything, by the way.
Date: July 16, 2007 01:35PM
Thanks AlphaDog, found the fix at Adobe Forums. I guess my edit didn't catch you. I have a tendency to think of MacResource first for solutions winking smiley
Date: July 16, 2007 01:56PM
That's OK. I used to hang out a whole lot on the Adobe forums, but I'm a little rusty on PS 7. Was the forum's solution the same? Now I'm curious smiling smiley
Date: July 16, 2007 03:40PM
The same principle, slightly easier execution. Disable internet connection so program doesn't try to connect. Then when you have Photoshop open, change preferences for web update to "never."

Annnnnd...another hour I'll never get back from Adobe.
Date: July 16, 2007 04:02PM
Oh, yeh. I forgot that one is easier.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login