Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
how to make really good soft taco shells
Posted by: davemchine
Date: July 21, 2007 10:35AM
Whenever I go to a mexican restaurant their taco shells are always so soft and good. When I buy them at the grocery store they have no taste and they break so easily. What's the secret? Do I need to make them? If so, how?

Thanks,

dave
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: how to make really good soft taco shells
Posted by: spearmint
Date: July 21, 2007 11:00AM
Colander and buy the soft shells in the flat pack. Put the colander over boiling water in and steam you are good to snarf.

Da Good Life

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/2007 11:05AM by spearmint.
Posted by: earache
Date: July 21, 2007 11:08AM
I'm assuming you're talking about soft corn tortillas. Of course the store bought ones aren't nearly as good as homemade, but if you can find a local mexican market you might be able to get better ones. To make them nice and soft, heat up a non-stick skillet over high heat, then put a tortilla in the pan for about 5-10 seconds, flip and another 5-10 seconds. Spin them around with your fingers while you're doing it. Watch for air pockets in the tortilla to expand, that tells you you're getting close. Tortillas should be very flexible when cooked. If they're not cooked enough, they'll crumble and they'll be chewy and tasteless.

earache
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 21, 2007 11:12AM
> What's the secret? Do I need to make them? If so, how?

Check the fridge section of your supermarket for fresh, soft corn tortillas.

If you want them to hold the "taco" shape, heat each one on a non-stick skillet (with no oil) for a minute or two on each side before serving -- removing it from the heat before it bubbles or gets crispy -- and then fold it and let it cool.
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: July 21, 2007 11:18AM
Are you talking about flour tortillas?

If so, the key as spearmint says is wet heat.

My method is pretty simple. Take a clean kitchen towel and moisten it with water. It shouldn't be dripping wet (no water should drip when you ring it out.) Sprinkle or spray each tortilla front and back with water. Use a pastry brush to coat the top of each tortilla with a thin layer of melted butter, stacking them on the towel as you go. Then fold the towel over the top of the stack to seal them up. Microwave the entire thing for a minute or so. Put the whole thing in a basket to serve. Make sure to cover the tortillas back up after you take each one out to keep them moist and hot. If they start to get cool, then just put them back into the microwave for a few seconds to re-warm.

BT

Signed parental releases are on file for all tattooed minors.
Posted by: trisho.
Date: July 21, 2007 11:56AM
If you're also looking for the specific Mexican restaurant taste, possibly considering just asking your favorite place if you can buy some off them a batch at a time then freeze them. When you want to eat them, reheat them using the methods other folks described above.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: July 21, 2007 04:38PM
davemchine
When I buy them at the grocery store they have no taste and they break so easily. What's the secret? Do I need to make them? If so, how?

Thanks,

dave

Half inch hot oil in a pan, preferably Manteca (Lard), but corn/vegetable oil will suffice.
Using tongs dip the tortillas individually in the hot oil for a few seconds.
Lay them on a thick layer of paper towels to drain.
The longer you fry them , the crisper they get.

BGnR
Tacos are made with Flour Tortillas, Burritos are made with Flour Tortillas.

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Ombligo
Date: July 21, 2007 05:11PM
^

American Tacos are made with flour tortillas, the latin world pretty much all use corn tortillas. They also seldom add in lettuce, tomatoes, etc...

When my family visits from Honduras, they love to get gringo takeout at Taco Bell.

You can tell a lot about a woman by her hands...
- For example, if they are wrapped around your throat she's probably slightly upset.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: July 21, 2007 05:22PM
Ombligo
^

American Tacos are made with flour tortillas, the latin world pretty much all use corn tortillas. They also seldom add in lettuce, tomatoes, etc...

When my family visits from Honduras, they love to get gringo takeout at Taco Bell.

"American Tacos" are made with FLOUR Tortillas?!?!
WTF?!?!

Taco Bell Tacos are made with CORN tortillas, the Burritos are made with Flour Tortillas.

Also, EVERY mexicano restaurant I have ever eaten at offers lettuce/tomatoes/corn/chiles to put on the taco.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: July 21, 2007 07:06PM
> Taco Bell Tacos are made with CORN tortillas, the Burritos are made with Flour Tortillas.

Most of the more-upscale-than-the-Bell Mexican-style restaurants that I've been in do use flour tortillas for their tacos.

> Also, EVERY mexicano restaurant I have ever eaten at offers lettuce/tomatoes/corn/chiles to put on the taco.

Corn? Do you mean the fried/mashed corn bread or the sweet cold corn/pepper/vinegar salad?

None of the places around here serve that stuff anymore. Chi-Chi's used to serve it, but they stopped a long time ago... about two years before they went out of business. I wonder if there's a connection.
Posted by: Baby Tats
Date: July 21, 2007 07:19PM
BigGuynRusty
Taco Bell Tacos are made with CORN tortillas, the Burritos are made with Flour Tortillas.

Not the soft tacos.

And I am still not so sure what davemchine is referring to, but he seems to have enough advice now anyway.

BT

Signed parental releases are on file for all tattooed minors.
Posted by: spearmint
Date: July 22, 2007 07:09AM
Corn tortillas at the store are always brittle. Flour tortillas always flexible. Don't like the taste? More Hot Sauce.

Da Good Life
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 87
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014