advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What is switch grass and how do you make fuel from it?
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: February 01, 2006 12:14PM
The president mentioned it last night. Any decent links on the science and technology behind it?

Bryan
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What is switch grass and how do you make fuel from it?
Posted by: Grumpyguy
Date: February 01, 2006 12:16PM
Duh,

Tried a different Google search and found this:
[www.cbc.ca]

Bryan
Posted by: davester
Date: February 01, 2006 02:08PM
Ethanol derived from corn does produce more energy used in producing it (but not by a large margin) but co2 emissions using ethanol are not that much different. However, using cellulosic forms of ethanol is much more sustainable in this regard than using corn (a disappointment to all those farm state legislators I'm sure). Here are some recent background articles:

[www.berkeley.edu]

[www.springerlink.com]

However, note that cellulosic ethanol production is still in the research stage.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2006 02:09PM by davester.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: February 01, 2006 03:33PM
There is also another technology out there for a low moisture "grass" for the sub-tropics, tht is basically bamboo. It grows like crazy, and instead of BURNING it, the point is to utilize biomass gasification - which will make it a net-negative CO2 source as well has help in cleaning out excess runoff fertilizers from places such as the Everglades, etc.

It can also be pelletized, etc., and stored for year-round use. The end product is also a perfect waste product to return to the ground.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 01, 2006 04:13PM
I bet hemp would work, but do you think this administration would touch it?
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 01, 2006 04:26PM
Having a country run on predominantly alcohol is being done today. I believe it is Brazil. Anyway, back in the 70s the government made a bold and broad decision and the whole counrty had to make some drastic changes. But today almost everyone burns alcohol. It is about $1 a gallon at the pump. the same stations sell gasoline for over $2. What they do import is used for diesel and some special applications needing gasoline.

Governmental subsidies go to those growing corn for fuel. The waste cellulose is burned for fuel to run the distilleries, and they don;t have any emmision controls to speak of on their vehicles as they are essentially clean burning.

This was from a history chanel show on distilled spirits, and they did a segment on fuel and used Brazil I believe as the model.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 01, 2006 04:56PM
The beauty of his "Plan" is that in 3 years he is out no matter what, and when nothing happens, he can claim his successor wasn't on board with the program. He said something like 20 years, right?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 01, 2006 11:17PM
It'll all come together around the time we land on Mars. We're still going, aren't we?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Cary , DP , WHiiP
Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018