advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
How to determine what type of drive in enclosure (Maxtor)
Posted by: rz
Date: July 31, 2007 07:14PM
I just bought the 750GB Maxtor One Touch III from Office Max for $189. It's in a crappy USB-only enclosure. I was thinking of popping out the drive and putting it in the new OWC NASPerform enclosure I got from our forum sponsors. However, I don't know if the drive inside the One Touch is PATA or SATA. The NASPerform takes a PATA drive.

I could open the enclosure, but that would void the warranty. If it's a SATA drive, I'd just as soon leave it in that enclosure, at least for now. If it's PATA, I'll put it in the NASPerform and sell the Maxtor enclosure.

BTW, this drive isn't advertised as being Mac compatible, but that's only because it comes pre-formatted in NTFS, which OS X can only read but not write. I immediately reformatted it as HFS+.

Any way I can determine the type without actually opening the box? System Profiler only says the following:
Capacity: 698.64 GB
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: Yes
BSD Name: disk5
Version: 0.00
Bus Power (mA): 500
Speed: Up to 480 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: Maxtor
OS9 Drivers: No
Product ID: 0x7212
Serial Number: 04970008
S.M.A.R.T. status: Not Supported
Vendor ID: 0x0d49
Volumes:
Bigdisk:
Capacity: 698.51 GB
Available: 698.37 GB
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk5s3
Mount Point: /Volumes/Bigdisk
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: How to determine what type of drive in enclosure (Maxtor)
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 31, 2007 07:21PM
You will have to pop the case open. The OneTouch III Mini was an ATA laptop drive. Seagate model of course.

Another option is to search online for the model number of the Maxtor USB External Case. You are not the only one with the similar question.

Joe
Posted by: mattkime
Date: July 31, 2007 07:22PM
you're only going to find out by opening it but i believe there is still a premium for sata->usb converters so its likely to be ata.

Date: July 31, 2007 07:26PM
Well, I was able to take a razor blade to the "Warranty Void if Seal is Broken" sticker to get it off without breaking it, but after I removed the screws and the back, it wasn't opening very easy. The top and bottom of the enclosure have a sort of rubbery plastic coating, and I couldn't find an easy way to take the thing apart. I guess I'll just wait to see if I can find anything online about it.
Posted by: jdc
Date: July 31, 2007 07:33PM
does maxtor even make an internal 750 gig PATA drive?

i dont think they do...which makes me believe its a SATA drive

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: July 31, 2007 07:41PM
yeah, I was kinda thinking along the same lines. From what I've seen by googling online, it's likely a Seagate drive inside. I'll look to see if either makes a 750GB PATA drive at all.
Posted by: Carm
Date: July 31, 2007 07:42PM
Not Maxtor, but Seagate does, and they sell both SATA and PATA Drives. Search New Egg.
Date: July 31, 2007 07:44PM
Well, it appears that Seagate makes both PATA and SATA drives in 750GB. I may try again to pop the case tomorrow. Saw instructions online for opening their dual-drive cases, but someone else posted asking for directions on opening the single drive case because he said it seemed very different than the dual case.
Date: July 31, 2007 08:06PM
Ok, after digging on Maxtor's website, I found the Datasheet for this model of external drive and it says it's a '3.5" ATA drive'. But I also found a blurb that talks about how the case is acoustically designed to make it very quiet (and it is whisper quiet), so maybe I'll just leave well enough alone. The drive is only going to be used for backup (to be scheduled for late at night) so I guess USB2 speed is good enough. I'll probable use the NASPerform as either a media server, or to allow my wife and I to wirelessly backup our laptops.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020