advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Take a PICTURE, it will last longer!. . .TiVo HD Digital Video Recorder $285.81 @ amazon.com. . .
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: August 15, 2007 03:48PM
Not that much cheaper but save a few bucks if you pre-order. . .

TiVo TCD652160 HD Digital Video Recorder $285.81 @ amazon.com. . .

You can pre-order it here, was $299.99, price dropped and you get free shipping and no sales tax in most states.

released on August 25, 2007

DIRECT LINK to Tivo HD on amazon.com. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2007 03:56PM by NewtonMP2100.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Take a PICTURE, it will last longer!. . .TiVo HD Digital Video Recorder $285.81 @ amazon.com. . .
Posted by: Microman
Date: August 15, 2007 06:49PM
USing one of these units right now. Put a larger HD (1 TB Hitachi). I love the dual tuner on one cable.
Re: Take a PICTURE, it will last longer!. . .TiVo HD Digital Video Recorder $285.81 @ amazon.com. . .
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: August 15, 2007 07:09PM
I picked one up at Circuit City a couple of weeks ago when it was on sale for $258. Used a 10% off AAA coupon to bring the price down to around $230 + tax.

Sold my lifetime 5040 ReplayTV (see this thread [forums.macresource.com]) for $250 and now am paying about $18/month for the TIVO service.

The TIVO HD is awesome. I don't miss my Replay at all. I picked up an M-card from the local Comcast office, popped it into the TIVO and got it activated. Everything has been working great. HD is awesome and being able to record it is even better.

Not exactly sure why Amazon has it listed as being released on August 25th. It's been available for at least 3 weeks as far as I can tell.

My daily record blog: [www.auditorymusings.com]

Posted by: Dakota
Date: August 15, 2007 08:12PM
What is exactly on TV worth recording, HD or not?
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 15, 2007 08:24PM
And what is the advantage over the free dual-tuner HD DVRs you get with cable or FIOS (monthly rental less than TiVo fee)?
Posted by: DCrunch
Date: August 15, 2007 08:54PM
Dakota
What is exactly on TV worth recording, HD or not?
You have your choice of watching House or Eureka without TIVO. With TIVO you record one and watch the other and then watch the other later. Or if you hate commercials as much as I do, you record them both and then watch them later while fast forwarding through commercials. I delete them after watching.
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: August 15, 2007 09:09PM
dk62
And what is the advantage over the free dual-tuner HD DVRs you get with cable or FIOS (monthly rental less than TiVo fee)?

I have the most basic basic cable service from Comcast. It didn't require a cable box and it basically gives you the local channels and a few cable channels. It also gives you the local HD channels through clear QAM. I pay $16/month total for this basic plan. My wife and I only watch a few select shows, so it's good that we don't get more channels. In order for me to get a Comcast HD DVR, we would have to upgrade to at least a $50/month plan and then pay the per month rental fee for the DVR with HD recording capability.

With the TIVO HD and our basic basic cable service and M-card, I am able to get the same channels, our local HD channels and, for some reason, a few other HD channels that I normally wouldn't be getting (ESPNHD, ESPN2HD, MusicHD, Universal HD, FOXSNHD).

Also, apparently the TIVO UI is much preferable to the cable company's, but I can't attest to that personally since I've never used a cable box, let alone a cable DVR.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 16, 2007 08:57AM
Pinkoos,

I had a cable box DVR and compared it to my brother's TIVO. No comparison. The GUI of the TIVO and overall features were a significant step above the cable box DVR. I was impressed enough that I got rid of the cable box DVR (along with the monthly fee for the box and the monthly fee for the DVR service) and dropped the bucks for a Toshiba RS-TX20 TIVO DVD Recorder.

The Toshiba shipped with TIVO Basic free of charge. This gives the machine a limited number of TIVO features, i.e. the GUI and the TIVO Guide but without the premium features like Season Pass and Wishlists. Think of it as an VCR with TIVO's interface and guide. I was impressed enough with the machine and the service that I plunked down the bucks for TIVO lifetime in a matter of days.

The only thing I miss about the cable box DVR is the dual tuners. The Toshiba has a single tuner and I can't watch live TV while recording a show on a different channel. At least I can't without modifying my the configuration of my home a theater hardware. I'd've made the changes but the issue is minor at best and not enough to make it worth the agita. Besides, I've got so much stored on the hard disk of the TIVO that I rarely watch live TV. Typically, the only time I watch live TV is first thing in the morning to catch up on the news and check the weather. Even then, I usually do that in a different room.

I absolutely love having the DVD Recorder built into my TIVO. It makes archiving favorite shows or bringing shows for watching elsewhere a snap.

Robert
Posted by: dk62
Date: August 16, 2007 10:11AM
I have to say I have not seen the GUI of TIVO yet. So far, I had Comcast and FIOS. I preferred the GUI of Comcast, but both were allowing me to do everything I can imagine I would like to do. I have a separate DVD recorder to which I can offload if needed, losing high definition in the process.

I just cannot imagine anything that would justify the price of purchase plus monthly fee for me, particularly when the technology is changing so rapidly. If I spent some time with TiVo GUI I might change my mind, but I doubt it.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: August 16, 2007 10:25AM
dk,

Monthly fees is one of the reasons I went with the Toshiba RS-TX20. I didn't have to pay any monthly fees unless I upgraded to TIVO Plus. I could enjoy the benefits of the TIVO Interface and treat the machine like a VCR on steroids and it wouldn't have cost me a dime. But, I decided TIVO Plus was worth the money.

Lifetime was the equivalent in cost to about two years of TIVO plus monthly service. I'm past that point now. Now, I enjoy the benefits of the service and it won't cost me a dime in the future. The only time that will change is when my machine breaks down. At that point, I'll have to decide whether to spend a few bucks and get it repaired or replace it with a different machine.

Since I have lifetime and don't expectt to go HD anytime soon, I'll likely just repair the machine. It'll be less expensive than replacing it and then having to pay monthly fees to TIVO or cable Tv provider.

Robert
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 285
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018