AAPL stock: $99.29 ( +1.62 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question
Posted by: sscutchen
Date: August 27, 2007 02:15PM
Unbelievable!

[www.youtube.com]

Don't ask who the bell's for, dude. It's you.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question
Posted by: AAA
Date: August 27, 2007 02:21PM
Yeah, I saw that earlier today.

sigh
Posted by: DavidS
Date: August 27, 2007 02:28PM
WTF???
Posted by: rgG
Date: August 27, 2007 02:28PM
I'll bet she can find the mall, though. sad smiley

Alpharetta, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 27, 2007 02:39PM
Future trophy wives have no need for maps.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: August 27, 2007 02:43PM
Lux Interior
Future trophy wives have no need for maps.

... must ... resist ... @#$%& prize.... joke....

Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: August 27, 2007 03:01PM
Why, when I was comin' up, we didn't have no maps neither. Hadta walk five, ten mile to see one. Din't have no map so we kept gettin' lost. I reckon I turned out okey.

[She still won 3rd runner-up.]

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: August 27, 2007 03:16PM
Man.. you folks have to start posting some descriptions!

YouTube is blocked here at work... (which is probably wise)

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: August 27, 2007 03:22PM

"I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because, uh, some ... people out there in our nation don't have maps, and, uh, I believe that our education like such as South African, and, uh, the Iraq everywhere like, such as and ... I believe that they should, our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S., er, should help South Africa and should help the Iraq and the Asian countries, so we will be able to build up our future for our children."

Don Kiyoti
[She still won 3rd runner-up.

In the end *@#$%&*, how well they work *@#$%&* "World Peace(TM)" into their impromptu *@#$%&* speech has little impact on their *@#$%&* placement.

*@#$%&*
Posted by: Craig
Date: August 27, 2007 03:29PM
Remember- It's not a beauty pageant, it is a scholarship contest.
Posted by: Psurfer
Date: August 27, 2007 03:31PM
I believe she just got a little flustered trying to put into words her answer under pressure, on stage. She had the right idea, that the education system has failed many in the underclass. And if you're reading this, Miss Teen USA South Carolina, I would personally like to offer you my services for private, one-on-one tutoring sessions to help you transform your natural quick-witted intelligence into eloquent and intelligible responses. You must be a mac user, I just know it.
Posted by: decocritter
Date: August 27, 2007 03:34PM
Yes it is sad.

It is also sad that we still have useless beauty pagents. It is sad that judges would have still voted for her. It is sad that even a tiny part of society places so much value on a woman's so called beauty. It is sad that some men need/want "trophy" wives. It is sad this poor girl put all of her life's energy into winning pagents. It is sad that she had the kind of parents that taught her this value system.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 27, 2007 03:38PM
but it pays well

!#$@@$#!

are we there yet?

[garyrichard.net]
Posted by: laarree
Date: August 27, 2007 04:27PM
This "living doll" is a particularly sad victim of lifelong oppobrious tartification,
over-smoothening and hairbrushing, Carolina-style.
[forums.macresource.com] [forums.macresource.com]

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: August 27, 2007 04:32PM
Remember- It's not a beauty pageant, it is a scholarship contest.

Hm. I wonder if she's the product of a less than stellar school system, or if she's just not a public speaker.

There's room enough for trophy wives and the men who love them. There are bigger problems in our society.

Just because she's not a nucular phyicist doesn't mean she's a bad person or a liability.

That one clip isn't enough at this point to send a Death Squad after her.

Hey, even Vick may deserve a second chance.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

There is no safety for honest men
except by believing all possible evil
of evil men.

Pixels were born to be punished. -Frederick Van Johnson

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* Sigs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: billb
Date: August 27, 2007 04:49PM
I , for one, would not expect a JFK caliber speech from a teen at a beauty contest.

Sounds Presidential to me.

Edit: Removed eye candy.
:-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2007 05:13PM by billb.
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: August 27, 2007 04:50PM
At first I thought she dropped the Osama bomb, but then I realized that was her accent.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 27, 2007 05:01PM
When I was 17, if I were put on the spot in a public speaking situation with an unknown question and an unrehearsed answer, I don't think I would have fared better.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: August 27, 2007 05:06PM
AllGold
When I was 17, if I were put on the spot in a public speaking situation with an unknown question and an unrehearsed answer, I don't think I would have fared better.

Damn, brother, I don't believe I'd have told that.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: August 27, 2007 05:20PM
My point was--at least in my case--it wasn't about intelligence, it was about verbal skills or the lack thereof.

Posted by: Lew Zealand
Date: August 27, 2007 05:24PM
While it's super fun to watch these clips and read people complain about the circumstances and people (it really is), I don't understand why so many people love the free market economy and all the freedoms and opportunities we have and then complain incessantly about some of the inevitable ways that money manifests itself:

Beauty pageants
Hi $$ sports players
Politicians owned by corporations

But then we get cheap flat TVs, so why's everyone complaining???
Posted by: laarree
Date: August 27, 2007 05:29PM
Her answer resembled "word salad", which is both a symptom of mental illness yet
also has a meaning in computer science:
"Word salad is a string of words that vaguely resemble language, and may or may
not be grammatically correct, but is utterly meaningless. An example of word salad
would be: Tramway flogging into my question, are you why is it thirty letters down
under peanut butter, what is it." [en.wikipedia.org]

.................................................................................................
*We are just a quarantined people under an evil sun.*
--- Richard S. Shaver
Posted by: graylocks
Date: August 27, 2007 05:30PM
AllGold

i lurk on another board where one of the members is a former contestant and pageant judge. she posted on this at length, much to the amusement and enlightenment of the rest of the forum.

these girls are far from unrehearsed. to get to Miss Teen USA, they have been competing for years and have been thoroughly, overwhelmingly, drilled and coached as to how to shine in this situation. she said Miss South Carolina was apparently pretty beyond her abilities. she had been given key words to work into her schtick but was incapable of doing that on the fly. this poster also pointed out how Miss New Jersey made a slick pageant coup by stressing the importance of public speaking when responding to her question. Miss NJ lucked out getting the question she did but definitely took the most advantage to simultaneously make herself shine and, differentiate herself from other contestants, most notably Miss SC.
Posted by: MacArtist
Date: August 27, 2007 06:09PM
I like how Miss South Carolina attempted to sound intelligent but every word out of her mouth was quite the opposite.

So is a beauty contestant just a pretty face waving at a crowd in a parade or is the person the spokeswoman for the organization?

You have to be able to more than just smile.

Date: August 27, 2007 07:02PM
She speaks like I feel I do in front of people.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: August 27, 2007 08:23PM
I'd like to see a recording of any of you guys here on the forum at age seventeen walking up to her and speaking.

That might be equally as funny.

Hopefully, she will bloom into a more educated, well rounded young woman in the future. She does of course have her whole life in front of her.

And yes, that was an embarassing traiwreck of an answer and I'm sure she's shed a lot of tears over it.

Sad on several levels I guess.
Posted by: Craig
Date: August 27, 2007 09:51PM
Caitlin Upton is a 17-year-old senior at Lexington High School. Caitlin values her faith, family and friends. She is actively involved in her school, as well as in the community. Her interest and talents include: sports, graphic design, professional modeling and community service. First of all, Caitlin is an athlete and is active in club and varsity soccer. She has been starting player for the high school varsity soccer team the past four years. During the summer of 2007, Caitlin traveled with her elite soccer team to Germany. While there, her team placed second in a tournament involving several European countries. One of Caitlin’s life goals is to follow a healthy lifestyle, and to always remain physically active. Secondly, Caitlin is a talented artist with a focus in the area of graphic design. She has received “Star Student” awards in both Photoshop and Advertising Design. She holds a student government office as President of Skills USA. Her career goals include earning a four-year Graphic Design degree. Ultimately Caitlin aspires to create special effects for television and movies. In addition to sports and art, Caitlin has been successful as a professional model with advertisement appearances in national magazines including: Seventeen, Cosmo Girl and American Cheerleader. She has modeled for Wrangler, Soffe and Nautica. One of her dreams is to make it into the European modeling market which would offer her “once in a lifetime” experiences. Lastly, and most importantly, Caitlin has become increasingly involved in community service. Volunteer activities she is involved in include making monthly meals for Sistercare, an organization for abused woman and their children. Caitlin has discovered the joy of serving others. Her primary goal as Miss SC Teen USA 2007 will be making appearances and developing action plans to involve teen in community service. [www.misssouthcarolinausa.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2007 09:51PM by Craig.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: August 27, 2007 10:09PM
we need an Ugly Pageant.

Posted by: decocritter
Date: August 27, 2007 10:25PM
How about a hetero male pageant? Swimsuit competition and all.
Posted by: Mike Sellers
Date: August 27, 2007 11:09PM
I didn't know W had an illegitimate daughter.

I keed. I keed.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: August 27, 2007 11:24PM
My 7th grade English teacher would call this "verbal diarrhea".

What I think is really interesting here is the number of views for this thread, no doubt a result of the words "Miss Teen USA" appearing in the subject line.

laarree
Her answer resembled "word salad", which is both a symptom of mental illness yet
also has a meaning in computer science:
"Word salad is a string of words that vaguely resemble language, and may or may
not be grammatically correct, but is utterly meaningless. An example of word salad
would be: Tramway flogging into my question, are you why is it thirty letters down
under peanut butter, what is it." [en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: August 28, 2007 02:47AM
Let's hear it for "No Child Left Behind."
Posted by: Joey Cupcakes
Date: August 28, 2007 02:53AM
RAMd®d
Just because she's not a nucular phyicist doesn't mean she's a bad person or a liability.

You don't need to be a nuclear physicist (or even know how to spell it) to be able to find the US on a map, or be able to walk and chew gum at the same time.

billb
Sounds Presidential to me.

Excellent point. Look at the shining example of higher education and clear thinking she's had since middle school.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2007 02:56AM by Joey Cupcakes.
Date: August 28, 2007 04:30AM
[www.thestate.com]

Miss S.C. Teen makes her mark on YouTube
SHE SAID WHAT?
By ROBIN COWIE NALEPA - rnalepa@thestate.com
Hometown girl Lauren Caitlin Upton didn’t win the Miss Teen USA crown Friday. But she might have won something bigger: a worldwide audience, thanks to the video sharing site YouTube.

Video clips of Upton mangling an answer to a question during the pageant competition Friday blanketed the Internet over the weekend.

It’s not the kind of fame the 18-year-old Lexington High School grad imagined for herself.

“Things happen for a reason,” said Upton, Miss South Carolina Teen USA. “That’s the way life goes.”

One YouTube clip of the question-and-answer session logged more than 2.6 million hits and 11,000 comments in just three days. It’s already spawned YouTube parodies and got Upton on CNN and an appearance on the “Today” show this morning.

During the pageant, airing live on NBC Friday evening from Pasadena, Upton was asked why one-fifth of Americans are unable to locate the United States on a map.

Upton’s confused reply included disjointed words and phrases like “some people out there in our nation don’t have maps ...” and references to “U.S. Americans,” South Africa and “the Iraq.” “And the ramble was punctuated with “such as.”

Most comments posted online are scathing (“sharp as a beachball, this one”); occasionally, there’s a sympathetic post suggesting nerves were the culprit (“That’s sad, sometimes the best go blank ...”)

Upton said from her parents’ home in Lexington on Monday that she was aware of the frenzy created by her answer, but she misunderstood the question.

“I didn’t do anything wrong. I wasn’t expecting (the question). I lost my train of thought.”

Other than the flubbed answer, Upton was upbeat about her pageant experience, saying her friends and family are giving her their support.

Upton’s former principal, Creig Tyler, remembers her as a well-rounded student.

“She took college-prep and honors courses and performed well,” Tyler said.

Upton held student leadership roles and played four years of varsity soccer while in high school. She said she graduated with a 3.5 grade point average.

Upton isn’t watching the clip of herself.

“I don’t really want to hear myself,” she said, laughing.

The two-hour “Miss Teen USA,” which aired on NBC, averaged just a 3.1 household rating, according to Nielsen overnights. If that number holds when final ratings come out, it would become the lowest-rated telecast in the event’s history.

Today, Upton will have a second chance to answer questions when she appears on “Today.”

“I just want people to know that I’m an average teenage girl, living life to the fullest, learning from my mistakes and living life in a positive way, and that is all I can ask for.”

The gaffe didn’t entirely sink her chances: she came in third runner-up.

Who won, anyway?

Reach Nalepa at (803) 771-8507.
Posted by: Fritz
Date: August 28, 2007 08:21AM
dunno if Miss NJ answer to her "question" was u-tubed, but if it was ......

!#$@@$#!

are we there yet?

[garyrichard.net]
Posted by: GeneH
Date: August 28, 2007 05:47PM
That may have been a very unfair question to ask a young girl - or boy for that matter. Seventeen is really a very tender age to go before a national audience and try to express a judgment about an obscure topic - a topic which could occupy a group of geographers and educators in debate for a good chunk of time. Hell, they probably couldn't come up anything sounding like a definitive answer in an hour of discussion much less twenty seconds.

Who was the source of that poll that was used to structure the question? How was it conducted and where? Who constituted the polling sample? Was it just another of those throwaway bits of fluff and BS that the newspapers use for filler on slow newsdays? Does it even matter a finger tip's worth of snot if that poll was true?

How many of us know the capitols of each of our 50 states? How many of us could point out the individual countries on a map of Africa? Asia? THE PROVINCES OF CANADA? MEXICO ANYONE? How often do any of us LOOK at maps if we're not National Geographic subscribers?

Our daily lives are DELUGED with data and information of all sorts that come flooding in each and every day. There are only 24 hours in a day and many demands on our time. Examine your own live-a-day worlds and tell me it isn't true? There are great events going on '"out there" that we often can't follow or lend our attention to on a daily basis because of the press of practical matters of our live-a-day, work-a-day lives.

It won't take long for the critics out there to point to this as proof of the decay of our school systems, our insularity as a people, the banality of our culture and our civilization, yadda, yadda, yadda, ad nauseum! Bull!

This is a simple matter of a bright young girl being visibly flustered unfortunately by a meaningless question of dubious import or relevance.

I'm willing to bet that in 10 years time having lived this moment down, she will have become a very composed and accomplished public speaker in whatever field she chooses to go, and quite possibly BECAUSE of that moment. Till then, on my part I say give the kid a break!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2007 05:52PM by GeneH.
Posted by: Carthaigh
Date: August 28, 2007 09:19PM
I personally believe that I would have wild monkey sex with her.

This message has been brought to you by the Threadkiller™
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login