advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Whoops! "Guys, someone forgot to pull the nukes of these missiles!"
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: September 05, 2007 10:09PM
More than just a couple people are getting fired for this one... And I'll bet $5 that someone (or more than one someone) spends some time at "Club Fed"...

[news.yahoo.com]

Now, the fact that a B-52 flew over several states with nuclear weapons in the bomb bay (or on the wing pylons) is not the big deal the yahoo story makes out...
For more than 20 years, B-52's flew from classified place to classified place with nuclear weapons aboard.

The "big deal" is LOSING TRACK of whether or not the warheads had been removed from the cruise missiles that were being flown to Louisiana for decomissioning and destruction.

Now... on the humorous side, I can only imagine the munitions crew's reaction when they were unloading the cruise missiles and realized the warheads were still mounted!
"Get me a phone, the commanding officer, a squad of MP's with sidearms and rifles, and a clean pair of shorts, RIGHT NOW!".

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Whoops! "Guys, someone forgot to pull the nukes of these missiles!"
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: September 05, 2007 11:04PM
Paul F.
Now... on the humorous side, I can only imagine the munitions crew's reaction when they were unloading the cruise missiles and realized the warheads were still mounted!
"Get me a phone, the commanding officer, a squad of MP's with sidearms and rifles, and a clean pair of shorts, RIGHT NOW!".

that's what i was thinking, too. it sort of plays like the "are we supposed to take these" warehouse drama... but on a "more significant' scale. ahem.
Posted by: billb
Date: September 05, 2007 11:12PM
Seems to me I recall reading an article quite similar to this one , [www.reviewjournal.com], regarding the safety of nukes on planes in the sky . :-)
"hey fred, what's this red button do ?"
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 05, 2007 11:39PM
I don't think a nuke is ever "safe". Just a matter of how far away from it you are when something goes wrong.
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 06, 2007 12:13AM
hope you dont live near savannah

[www.b-29s-over-korea.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
"Usually we're pretty careful with nuclear weapons."
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 06, 2007 01:40AM
But occasionally you gotta air 'em out a little.

They just took 'em for a little ride, is all.

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Posted by: mikebw
Date: September 06, 2007 01:49AM
that's a great website jdc
Posted by: RgrF
Date: September 06, 2007 04:39AM
How this got out is the thing I wonder about. It's not like the military is ever open about these things and this administration is even more secretive.

Flying nukes around the country was done for decades, if they wern't armed they couldn't go off. Sounds like nothing more than another military SNAFU.
Posted by: ADent
Date: September 06, 2007 04:46AM
We nuked Spain in the 60s when we lost a weapon.

# 1/17/66: Palomares, Spain: B-52 and KC-135 collided midair during refueling. Of four nuclear weapons, high explosive material of two exploded on impact; other two finally found after extensive (four month) search. 1,400 tons of "slightly contaminated soil and vegetation were removed to the U.S. for storage." DOE reports cleanup cost $50 million and Palomares is still being monitored for radiation.
Posted by: Lux Interior
Date: September 06, 2007 01:29PM
Paul F.

I don't know how the Air Farce operates, but in the Navy, you couldn't just "accidentally" grab a nuke off the racks. You had to drive the sub over the the "special" dock, get a bunch of Marines and form exclusion zones (i.e. if you're in it, and not supposed to be, you get shot). And a bunch of other protocols that I wasn't privy to, since I split atoms to boil water, not melt people.
Posted by: liberal weenie
Date: September 06, 2007 05:21PM
Good thing the pilot didn't get bored and play with the bomb release lever during the flight.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 261
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018