advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Leader makes it better..
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: September 06, 2007 02:29PM
$100 credit per iPhone purchased for early adopters.

[www.apple.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Leader makes it better..
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: September 06, 2007 02:33PM
and AAPL is taking a hit.
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: September 06, 2007 02:37PM
. . .as they say better than nothing. . .

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Posted by: stephen
Date: September 06, 2007 02:43PM
I thought that was a clearly classy thing to do.

No doubt I'll spend mine on a new laptop shortly.
Posted by: geon
Date: September 06, 2007 02:43PM
I would imagine a lot of these folks will try to sell their in-store credit, since they don't use other apple products. Would I be able to use their instore credit if I purchased it from them at a discounted price? Just thinking ahead....
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: September 06, 2007 03:26PM
I posted in the other thread but hey I'll say it again. Woo Hoo.

Jobs had it exactly right...the technology road is bumpy...(and my words here...one should not get on the road if they can't handle it).

I didn't really expect anything. I wasn't going to ask either I give Apple an A+ for doing this even though its pissing off W$ and my portfolio does have a decent % of AAPL in it.
Posted by: Jem
Date: September 06, 2007 03:26PM
Good on them!

I don't benefit from this, but clearly it is the "right" way to let customers know you appreciate their willingness to be an early adopter.

In fact as a stockholder I should probably be perturbed by the huge amount of money this will cost Apple... $40 to $100 million if everyone redeems them (which they won't). On the contrary, I think Jobs as usual sees the bigger picture and realizes that capturing the market now with lower cost devices ensures a healthy iPhone market base a little further down the road when the inevitable new or higher priced models come along. By that time, the pie will be so big that $40 million will seem like chump change.

Wallstreet's confusion over this made for a great buying opportunity yesterday and today.

Can't wait to see what happens when they release the 16GB 3G iPhone in the near future smiling smiley
Date: September 06, 2007 03:30PM
geon
I would imagine a lot of these folks will try to sell their in-store credit, since they don't use other apple products. Would I be able to use their instore credit if I purchased it from them at a discounted price? Just thinking ahead....

I'm guess that is what they are trying to work out. I'm sure they'd want to prevent the credits ending up on eBay. My guess is that since Apple knows who the original iPhone owners are they can personalize the credits which would require ID (either a CC or license) just like for an EDU discount.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: September 06, 2007 03:35PM
Chupa Chupa
My guess is that since Apple knows who the original iPhone owners are they can personalize the credits which would require ID (either a CC or license) just like for an EDU discount.

HUH!?!?
Unless that happened in the last two hours, no ID is required for an EDU Discount!

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Date: September 06, 2007 03:43PM
BigGuynRusty
Chupa Chupa
My guess is that since Apple knows who the original iPhone owners are they can personalize the credits which would require ID (either a CC or license) just like for an EDU discount.

HUH!?!?
Unless that happened in the last two hours, no ID is required for an EDU Discount!

BGnR

In-store it is.
Posted by: MGS_forgot_password
Date: September 06, 2007 04:18PM
It will probably just be a code like with the iPod battery settlement.
Posted by: IronMac
A credit? Sheesh...I'd want cash back! Everyone knows that, just like rebates, not everyone is going to redeem them.
Posted by: vision63
Now they can spend the money on something else they apparently cannot afford.
Posted by: Zoidberg
Date: September 06, 2007 04:24PM
IronMac
A credit? Sheesh...I'd want cash back! Everyone knows that, just like rebates, not everyone is going to redeem them.

So how is this a bad business decision?

A $100 coupon buys some goodwill and the person with the coupon will spend it on another item at the Store. Stockholders certainly don't want the company to give any cash rebates.

BTW, it's spelled y'all
Posted by: stephen
Date: September 06, 2007 05:33PM
Phone manufacturers give $100 rebates off inflated prices every day.

Apple just did theirs two months later.
Posted by: Buzz
Date: September 06, 2007 05:34PM
v63 has it correct... those that do redeem, will to a large degree buy stuff way more expensive than the $100 spiff... great incentive plan SJ

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: JoeH
Date: September 06, 2007 05:41PM
Chupa Chupa
BigGuynRusty
Chupa Chupa

HUH!?!?

BGnR

In-store it is.

And Apple reserves the right to verify status on any item ordered on-line with an EDU discount. They do verify some random sample of the orders, I have come across reports from persons who had to pony up the price difference when they could not substantiate their educational status.

Posted by: ztirffritz
Date: September 06, 2007 05:53PM
In other news...

Apples PC market share spikes by 3% overnight...

MacResource User Map: [www.zeemaps.com]#
Leader!
Posted by: RAMd®d
Date: September 06, 2007 06:20PM
I'm getting the mini when the check comes in!

When a good man is hurt,
all who would be called good
must suffer with him.

You and I have memories longer than the road that stretches out ahead.

There is no safety for honest men except
by believing all possible evil of evil men.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Perfection is the enemy of progress. -Winston Churchill

-An armed society is a polite society.
And hope is a lousy defense.

You make me pull, I'll put you down.

Mister, that's a ten-gallon hat on a twenty-gallon head.

I *love* SIGs. It's Glocks I hate.
Re: Leader!
Date: September 06, 2007 06:41PM
Nobody (almost) is going to run out and by something they can't afford just because they're getting store credit. That's just hate mongering BS.

But a lot of people *will* buy something they might have been on the fence about, getting this push.

Good job, Jobs. Foster good will, up sell, save some ching ($100 store credit doesn't cost Apple $100) and again spark free buzz.

Any iPhoner who can't find $100 worth of stuff probably isn't trying very hard. If they don't want to redeem $100 that they weren't owed, that is their choice.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

We don’t do focus groups. They just ensure that you don’t offend anyone, and produce bland inoffensive products. —Sir Jonathan Ive

Apple caters to people with more money than brains.
Posted by: liberal weenie
Date: September 06, 2007 08:02PM
Apple drops price by 1/3rd after a few months
The early buyers can go to any Apple store and purchase a t-shirt that says "Sucker"
Cost is $99 (not cents)
Posted by: PeterB
Date: September 06, 2007 08:26PM
I think it's very "stand up" of Stevie to do this. It's the gesture that counts.

I certainly didn't expect it, or demand it. As you all know, I felt I'd gotten what I'd paid for. So this is purely icing on the proverbial cake.

Freya says, 'Hello from NOLA, baby!' (Laissez bon temps rouler!)
Posted by: wickedsteve
Date: September 06, 2007 08:46PM
I was gonna spend $70 on AppleCare sooner or later. Might as well get a spare headset for $30.
Date: September 06, 2007 09:00PM
Zoidberg
So how is this a bad business decision?

A $100 coupon buys some goodwill and the person with the coupon will spend it on another item at the Store. Stockholders certainly don't want the company to give any cash rebates.

I'm pretty sure that there are some people out there who are thinking that if they'd waited a month more they'd have saved at least $100. And, as an Apple stockholder, sure, I don't like seeing them give away money but, now, I am even less sure that the iPhone was a good business initiative. It doesn't seem to have sold well and it now seems to have been overpriced.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: September 06, 2007 09:35PM
IronMac
And, as an Apple stockholder, sure, I don't like seeing them give away money but, now, I am even less sure that the iPhone was a good business initiative. It doesn't seem to have sold well and it now seems to have been overpriced.

You have no idea what you're talking about. You're just parroting the same lines the clueless press is throwing out there. You obviously do not know how the mobile phone industry works.

The iPhone has sold well (over 750K) and will continue to do so. The iPhone's launch price was no different than any other advanced mobile phone's initial price. The iPhone has high margins already, and those margins will continue to be high because they are hidden in the airtime fees paid to the carrier. If the airtime fees are not paid to the carrier, there is an automatic $175 profit still to be collected.

The price drop is par for the course for the sector.
How much was the Motorola RAZR when it was introduced?
How much is it now, with contract? $0 - $49. All the profit is loaded into the contract.

The price drop looks 'bad' at this juncture, and they probably could have handled it better, but the price drop will be forgotten by the time earnings are reported.

It will also look like nothing when the NextGen iPhone comes out and the current models are available for FREE (maybe) with two-year commitment.

Bookmark this post, and revisit in a year.
Date: September 06, 2007 09:53PM
Seacrest
The price drop is par for the course for the sector.
How much was the Motorola RAZR when it was introduced?
How much is it now, with contract? $0 - $49. All the profit is loaded into the contract.

The price drop looks 'bad' at this juncture, and they probably could have handled it better, but the price drop will be forgotten by the time earnings are reported.

Price drop is par for the course?

Ok...let's look at the Motorola RAZR's price over the past two years:

[www.pricescan.net]

Check the graph and tell me that Motorola lopped off 33% off the initial price within the first two months of the RAZR's introduction. I'll give u the answer right now; it took 3 months before Motorola dropped the price by about 20%. That's right...20%.

Oh...and can you tell me how well the RAZR sold in its first two months? Wasn't it over 2 million units?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2007 10:00PM by IronMac.
Posted by: bfd
Date: September 06, 2007 10:31PM
Apparently, there is some chance that those who bought with an AMEX card could get a $200 refund … couldn't get through this evening, however, to determine the veracity of this rumor.
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: September 06, 2007 11:16PM
That's the unlocked worldwide GSM RAZR, not a US-only, carrier-specific model.
Plus, I've already conceded that the price drop wasn't handled as well as could be.
The question is not whether the iPhone -- in limited release -- has sold as much well as the RAZR, it's whether the iPhone meets Apple's stated sales goals, which you'll have to ask them about or wait for the next earnings report.
It's the price you pay to be able to stroke your own ego.
Posted by: Ruby Begonia
Date: September 06, 2007 11:22PM
Apple would not have offered the 100 bucks if there were not mass-whining from the iPhone

users. People who buy Apple products, on average, are less likely to understand capitalism

and hate big corporations -- although they are blindly loyal to the Cult of Apple.
Re: It's the price you pay to be able to stroke your own ego.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 07, 2007 02:04AM
Ruby Begonia
People who buy Apple products, on average, are less likely to understand capitalism and hate big corporations -- although they are blindly loyal to the Cult of Apple.

Holy mackerel 'dere, Sapphire! Are you saying that people who buy Apple products are dummer than smart people like you?

BTW, Apple is a "big corporation."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2007 02:05AM by Article Accelerator.
Posted by: Article Accelerator
Date: September 07, 2007 02:12AM
IronMac
It doesn't seem to have sold well and it now seems to have been overpriced.

What does "overpriced" mean?

Anyway, about that sold well stuff--you'd better let these folks know:

[www.reuters.com]

"Apple Inc's iPhone outsold all smartphones in the United States in July, its first full month on sale, accounting for 1.8 percent of all U.S. mobile handset sales, research group iSuppli said on Tuesday."

If that is 'not selling well,' I want some of that magic stuff for my company...
Date: September 07, 2007 04:24AM
To stir the stew a bit more; I think that this price drops smacks of desperation on the part of Apple. To be more "in line" with the overall cellphone industry and to look "normal" maybe what Apple should have done was to drop the price by $100, don't give out any sort of rebate and kept its mouth shut to make it look like business as usual.

Will it hit that much ballyhooed number of ... what was it? 10 million by end of year? Who knows? Personally, I don't care that much, all I care about is that it continues to make great computers along with a fantastic operating system. I don't even have an iPod! smiling smiley
Posted by: Sam3
Date: September 07, 2007 05:06AM
Some would argue that this is a lame attempt at an apology. The user doesn't get anything back, Apple still pockets all money. It's a store credit, not a rebate. So if you wanted just the iPhone and could care less about anything else Apple, then you effectively get nothing. WooHoo! Gee! Great! What a company!
Date: September 07, 2007 08:30PM
Some would argue that this is a lame attempt at an apology.

They could and will, especially if they went to the IronMac School of Economics.

And they'd still be wrong.

...then you effectively get nothing.

And they are entitled to-- what, exactly?

I got everything I expected at the time of sale, and more as I used the phone. Some people will now get that for less than I paid for it. And I will use the store credit that was not an entitlement when I bought the phone.

Stevie is "desperate" and the Evil Apple Empire is doomed.

When a good man is hurt,
must suffer with him.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 256
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018