advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ok, I've got a UPS, but, do I charge it without anything connected for the first time or can I connect it just not have it sip off the battery?
Posted by: microchip13
Date: February 04, 2006 06:23PM
I've got a UPS, wanna see if it'll work.

So, it's rather unclear, can I plug it in and connect all my stuff? Then let it charge or should I just plug it in alone and let it charge for a bit?

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Save The Manual Transmission
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ok, I've got a UPS, but, do I charge it without anything connected for the first time or can I connect it just not have it sip off the battery?
Posted by: TheTominator
Date: February 04, 2006 06:24PM
Follow the instructions that came with it.

They usually say to let it charge up for 12 or more hours before you plug anything into it.
Re: Ok, I've got a UPS, but, do I charge it without anything connected for the first time or can I connect it just not have it sip off the battery?
Date: February 04, 2006 06:27PM
Yea, it's rather unclear:

Step:
1: Connect Battery
2:Connect equiptment
3. Power on and install software,
And in this section "should charge for at least 16 hours to ensure sufficent runtime"

so it's rather unclear, IMO anyway.

Just because it has two clutches, shifts faster, uses a torque converter or has near-infinite gear ratios, requires less driver intervention and is more efficient doesn't make it better in my opinion.
Posted by: Elfboy
Date: February 04, 2006 06:35PM
I'm pretty sure you can start using it right away, just might take a little longer to fully charge and of course you won't have much (i.e. a minute) of backup.
Date: February 04, 2006 06:36PM
Ok, sounds good.

Worse case I guess, I'll return it.

Posted by: rexrzer
Date: February 04, 2006 07:18PM
Wow, miracles can happen!

You finally got a UPS....the recommendation for all UPS's is to let the unit charge *completely* up to 100% capacity *before you hook up your equipment* to it. This ensures that the battery will be fully peaked the 1st time you hook your G5 and peripherals to it. You can do it the other way, by avoiding the 1st charge cycle, but your battery will not ever be as good, or last as long, as letting it charge fully first.

The choice is yours. I'd let it charge overnight and then hook things up tomorrow afternoon if I were you.

What's the difference between reality and fiction? Fiction has to make some sense.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 04, 2006 07:42PM
Plug it all in and use it.

Just don't be pulling the plug out to engage the back-up system to tesst it, until tomorrow.

Date: February 04, 2006 07:51PM
billb, that's what I did.

Wow.

It's installed and such, havn't done the cables till I see how long it'll run and such.

The cables are insanely messy.

It's big. Really big. I don't know where I'll put it if I keep it. Maybe I'll trade it in for a smaller one.

It's big.

Hmm.

||||||||||||||||

Question for ya'll. Do I need to install the "powerchute" software, or can I use OSX's built in stuff? I find it very neat that OSX already sees it and put it on my menu bar.

Posted by: billb
Date: February 04, 2006 08:11PM
Try the OSx built in first.
If it does everything you want/need, leave well enough alone.

Search Powerchute over at Macfixit.
You'll probably shred the disc.
Date: February 04, 2006 08:14PM
Already installed it. I'll probably uninstall it.

But:

I think already I may be returning this. I got it because Compusa had it for a decent price and I've had good experiences with their returns. But I think it's underpowered. With everything I need connected to it. In the macosx status, the battery power was declining.

I'm gonna take it off and let it charge overnight then see how things go.

Posted by: WHiiP
Date: February 04, 2006 08:45PM
Please DON'T have a Laser Printer connected to it... unless it can take the amperage . . . which is doubtful . . .

WHAT do you have connected?????

Bill
Flagler Beach, FL 32136

Carpe Vino!

Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire.
— David Rains Wallace
Posted by: New.Dad
Date: February 04, 2006 08:53PM
microchip13 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
[snip]
>
> Question for ya'll. Do I need to install the
> "powerchute" software, or can I use OSX's built in
> stuff? I find it very neat that OSX already sees
> it and put it on my menu bar.

What "built-in" stuff? I am running 10.4.2 and I see no UPS (I did search the help). Not sure where you got that from. Are you running 10.4.3 or 10.4.4? Or because I hape a PowerBook, the UPS option is not installed?

Date: February 04, 2006 08:59PM

I had my G5, LCD, USB Hub, and external HD plugged in.

It was in energy saver then under "power adapter" it said UPS.

Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 04, 2006 11:40PM
" Please DON'T have a Laser Printer connected to it."

I heard the sme thing on a radio computer show.
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: February 04, 2006 11:50PM
So, what'd you end up getting?
Posted by: blusubaru
Date: February 05, 2006 09:30AM
You mean there's a limit to what you can plug into an UPS? smiling smiley

I've got the 350 (the little guy) with both laptops, iMac g5, stack of firewire drives (6 total) and a few usb2 drives all plugged into the battery side of the UPS. On the surge protection side, I have TWO stereos, dvd player, cd player, 20" LCD, three lights... Haven't had a problem, even last year in a rental with really crappy power.
Date: February 05, 2006 11:09AM
A rather small one, the 650, just to see if and how well it'd work.

It's rather annoying, even with nothing plugged into it, the charge is going down.

I'll probably exchange it for another one, and if that doesn't work, I'll go a step up.

Posted by: Elfboy
Date: February 05, 2006 04:16PM
The G5 towers draw a lot but a 650 may be enough (unless your LCD is 60" winking smiley)

And I concur about Laser printers--the last time I checked the back of a color laser it said 10 Amps. Ouch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/05/2006 04:20PM by Elfboy.
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: February 05, 2006 04:28PM
If it were drawing too much power it would start beeping.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: February 05, 2006 06:36PM
I would not go any smaller than a 650 VA UPS unit, that supports a maximum of 350-400 W of attached electronics. You will get longer run times off power with less than half of that load attached. I don't recall which G5 you have, just about any dual should be attached to a 1000 VA minimum sized UPS if you are also going to attach other loads as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 238
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018