advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
epson r200 users? i'm looking for set-up tips for printing labels onto cd/dvd:)
Posted by: robfilms
Date: September 24, 2007 04:17PM
i just acquired a brand new, in the box epson r200 to print cd/dvd labels.

i have never used a printer to print onto a cd/dvd.

i was wondering from those with real world experience using the r200 (or the extended line of epson r-series printers), if u have any set-up tips u care to share?

is the set-up idiot proof? (if not, i fear i will surely be tested)

i imagine i need to: download the printer software, set-up the printer by carefully loading the ink cartridges, set-up the tray which feeds the dvd/cd into the printer, hook up the printer via the usb cable to my airport, hope that the print manager on my g5/imac/10.4.9 will "see" the epson r200 and then hopefully, away i go.

in your expereince, should i burn the dvd first then print the label? or print the label onto the blank dvd then burn the data?

any guess on the number of coasters before i get this right?

by the way, i'm using taiyo yuden white printable dvds. and i imagine i'm using the enclosed epson media software to "create" the dvd/cd label. anyone with thoughtst/tips on the epson software?

any and all thoughts would be great.

thanks in advance for sharing your experiences

be well

rob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2007 04:20PM by robfilms.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: epson r200 users? i'm looking for set-up tips?
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 24, 2007 04:22PM
no coasters if you ask me =) -- just do everything like a normal printer, should work just fine

do you have the original discs? i dont think the epson disc printing software can be downloaded...

you might try discus [www.magicmouse.com] -- although i have had no problems with the epson software myself

ive owned an R200, R200 and now an R1800

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Re: epson r200 users? i'm looking for set-up tips for printing labels onto cd/dvd:)
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 24, 2007 04:24PM
I've used an R200 to print CDs. Setup is fairly easy. Just don't mess up that little plastic piece at the end of the tray.

You'll probably get it right the first time. It's fairly easy.

Use the printer often. I got maybe 200 prints out of mine, but then let it sit for six months. It died.

Also, depending on coverage, it doesn't print anywhere near as fast as advertised. I think it took 6 minutes/disc when I clocked it.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Re: epson r200 users? i'm looking for set-up tips for printing labels onto cd/dvd:)
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: September 24, 2007 04:51PM
M A V I C
I've used an R200 to print CDs. Setup is fairly easy. Just don't mess up that little plastic piece at the end of the tray..

I don't think you can emphasize that part enough

It's a fine little printer and Epsons walk through is pretty good, but if you bend up those little plastic leaders
then you will have problems getting it too feed properly.

The only other issue I had on set up was centering the printed image on the disk.

There is an adjustment in the software set up that lets you tweak it a bit.

Mine was of just a couple mm's - so it took a disk or two to get it dialed in and it's mainly if you are printing
a circular image on the disk - then you'll notice the edges are not even.

Date: September 24, 2007 05:02PM
jdc/mavic-

thanks for the feedback.

are u using the epson software supplied to design your label? if so, how responsive was the software? how simple/complicated are your cd.dvd labels?

and once again, print label onto cd/dvd then burn data? or burn data then print cd/dvd label.

any and all thoughts are appreciated.

be well

rob
Date: September 24, 2007 05:05PM
lafinfal-

then i guess i need to NOT design a circular image as part of my label design!

thanks for sharing

be well

rob

<<The only other issue I had on set up was centering the printed image on the disk.

There is an adjustment in the software set up that lets you tweak it a bit.

Mine was of just a couple mm's - so it took a disk or two to get it dialed in and it's mainly if you are printing a circular image on the disk - then you'll notice the edges are not even.>>
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: September 24, 2007 05:06PM
I second Discus from Magic Mouse!

If you own a recent version of Toast (5.1 or up?) you should have a limited version of Discus on the Toast CD (if not already installed)

I find it far superior to the other label software out there.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: September 24, 2007 05:40PM
robfilms
jdc/mavic-

thanks for the feedback.

are u using the epson software supplied to design your label? if so, how responsive was the software? how simple/complicated are your cd.dvd labels?

I just designed it in photoshop, exported a TIFF (or similar) and placed that in the software.

and once again, print label onto cd/dvd then burn data? or burn data then print cd/dvd label.

Either way. I think I did it a few times each way.

Design your image so it has some bleed and can shift a bit and not look bad.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: jdc
Date: September 24, 2007 05:43PM
mine have been full photos to just text only -- im currently using the epson software, but mostly doing text labels now

i do have my logo on every disc, i just imported as a tif file and placed it, works fine

fwiw, toast 8 now ships with Disc Cover RE, which seem OK, but i havent used it

Toast 7 had Discus -- which is a free download?

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: September 24, 2007 06:33PM
Do you have the Epson Print CD software?

You have to measure the printable area on your media and enter the inner/outer diameter settings in the Epson software. For TY "print-to-hub" DVD's, that's probably 23mm and 119mm, respectively (but check it with a ruler).

You should also make a custom printer-preset with A4 selected as your paper size and CD/DVD selected for the media.

At that point, yeah, it's pretty idiot proof.

If the printed image is a little off, there's a feature that lets you adjust the print-position, but it's seldom necessary to use it.

...and burn the disc *before* you print on it.

One more thing... I DO design my labels with a round mask in Photoshop before I print them. I find that it's very helpful for positioning elements just-so and the tools in Photoshop are far superior to almost anything else.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2007 06:37PM by MacMagus.
Posted by: Spock
Date: September 24, 2007 06:51PM
Another vote for Discus.

Do try the TY Water Shield glossy media, it is awesome. Expensive but worth every penny.

Comedy Central: Best news channel that isn't a news channel.

Fox News: Best comedy channel that isn't a comedy channel.
Posted by: artie67
Date: September 24, 2007 08:22PM
Discus has worked great for me. When printing, click on the print settings menu and use CD/DVD. Discus is great for scanned discs and is very easy to learn. One thing about the R200 that Epson and others don't mention is that the tray goes out the back a couple inches. I guess nobody has a printer on a 12" shelf. Fooled me, and lost most of the tread on the tires until the epson tech informed me. I have found that generic ink works pretty well. I do not print photos. Has anybody got a R800 to print DVD's with success?
Posted by: incognegro
Date: September 24, 2007 09:10PM
Discus here, too. R200, no problems to speak of.

Posted by: jeffNOTjon
Date: September 25, 2007 06:56AM
Ditto Discus RE
Date: September 25, 2007 03:14PM
thanks all for your input.

managed to do the set-up this afternoon and just got off my first inkjet printed dvd title. it was an extremely simple design-title and credits against a white background. i will next be attempting a scanned image as background to the same title/credit design.

i'm a little disappointed in the epson supplied software. perhaps the suggested discus or even printshop is in my future. did i read correctly that discus comes with roxie's toast? i'm still burning using disk utility. maybe a toast-discus combo makes sense.

thoughts? suggestions?

once again, thanks for everyone's input.

be well

rob

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/25/2007 03:18PM by robfilms.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: September 26, 2007 11:20AM
From what I'm seeing, Toast 8 no longer includes Discus RE.

You'll need to find a used copy of Toast 6 or 7 Titanium.

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: loveshine
Date: October 13, 2007 01:02PM
I have an r300 and since I upgraded to 10.4 I find it acting very strange.

I have searched but can not find out exactly what software Epson supplies for 10.4 via download. I still have my original discs and I guess I could do a re-install and see if that helps.

Aside from the poor Epson website support, I have recently discovered that I need to give a little tap on the CD tray feeder when it whines as it attempts to suck in the tray. If i don't tap the tray in, it occasionaly won't feed. Very poorly designed in my opinion.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 297
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018