advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
It wasn't bad enough that I'm losing my job next week, Monster wife gets laid off too
Posted by: Monster
Date: December 14, 2005 02:54PM
I knew my job was going, the school is closing its doors.
I certainly wasn't expecting my wife to get laid off as part of the Time Inc. layoffs yesterday, [www.nytimes.com]

Good thing they gave her a 6 month package with benefits, she can take a nice little vacation. She also gets money for any type of continuing education, she's goin' for web design, it'll go well with her Art Director background.

Now as far as I go, I guess I'll have to start looking for another job come the new year, anyone in the NY/NJ area have any connections with an IT/Networking dept. that's hiring?

Hmmm, I think I may just take a vacation with my wife for a week (someplace warm), my boss has even volunteered to watch our kids for us, she's cool.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: It wasn't bad enough that I'm losing my job next week, Monster wife gets laid off too
Posted by: spacescape
Date: December 14, 2005 02:56PM
Sorry to here about your luck... Yes, take a week off some place warm... Then start shopping... Good luck...

Bill
Re: It wasn't bad enough that I'm losing my job next week, Monster wife gets laid off too
Posted by: JoeM
Date: December 14, 2005 03:03PM
Sorry Monster, always bad news but even worse at this time of the year. You're in NJ, right? There is usually quite a bit of web work up north and in the Morristown and surrounding areas when she is ready.

A decent amount of freelance graphic design work through The Creative Group and Aquent as well.

I second the vacation but look through the holidays, it's a good time to grab jobs sometimes.

Good Luck!

JoeM
Date: December 14, 2005 03:10PM
I had forgotten about Aquent, I used to get mail from them all the time, thanks.

Now I'm off to work, but I'm calling out tomorrow, I know of a bar that's having its annual christmas party starting at noon, weeee....
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: December 14, 2005 03:24PM
sorry to hear of your double whammy. . .I know. ..was laid off a few years ago and barely missed being laid off this month (though the future isn't clear)

Remember apply for unemployment as soon as you can. . .
Date: December 14, 2005 03:28PM
No unemployment for me, I'm considered a contract employee.
Posted by: MikeF
Date: December 14, 2005 03:31PM
You might be able to collect unemployment anyway...

If the school closed wasn't your doing and you're actively looking for work, you might qualify...
Posted by: Guitarman
Date: December 14, 2005 03:32PM
Sorry to hear about it. Good luck in your search.
Date: December 14, 2005 03:34PM
Monster Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> No unemployment for me, I'm considered a contract
> employee.

Me too (I'm a contract employee also).

Most people think temporary/contract employees are not eligible (I did too until I decided to check just in case I got laid off) but according to the unemployment website they are. . .

Won't hurt to apply, if not eligible they will just deny the claim.

Besides, the process to apply for unemployment in NY is so simple. . .you can do it by phone. . .in bout 10 minutes (I did it when I was laid off a few years ago. ..).

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/2005 03:37PM by NewtonMP2100.
Date: December 14, 2005 03:42PM
Yes according to the labor laws, if your hours and place are dictated by the employer you are an employee and not freelance. Believe it or not, the musicians union was instrumental (hah hah) in getting this cleared up.
Posted by: kap
Date: December 14, 2005 03:57PM
Sorry Monster. We were in the same dilemma three years ago. I got laid off; S/O's earning was adequate to sustain both of us for 6 months until she, too, received a pink slip. Our savings and unemployed (she was qualified though she was contractor as well.) benefits carried us through another 6 months while we scrambled for jobs ... any job. We couldn't even afford a vacation. We haven't had a vacation for the past 5 years! So I say JoeM is right on target.

Good luck with your job search!

Kap

SoCal for now.
Date: December 14, 2005 04:03PM
As stated (and from when I was on it) you only have 6 months at the most.. . .(unless dire circumstances they might extend it but you have to be really dire. . .)

The reason you apply as soon as you can is because someone told me that it applies from the day you are terminated and not from when you first apply for it so if you wait. . .you will loosed weeks of unemployment that you could have gotten. . .

If you find a job immediately, you can always cancel it. . .you might even be apply to pre-apply as long as you know your official termination date. . .(I think. ..)

Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: December 14, 2005 04:49PM
Monster, check with the unemployment office. I am betting you are eligible. When I worked in theater years ago I was able to collect, and those were all contract jobs.
Date: December 14, 2005 04:53PM

I know what I'll be doing tomorrow, I never thought I may be covered.

Thanks
Date: December 14, 2005 04:55PM
I bet so too. . .I was like you, didn't think so but I checked and the website said yes (my eyes lit up when I found it). . .so if I find myself laid off. . .I will give it a go. . .
Posted by: Gutenberg
Date: December 14, 2005 05:04PM
Good luck, Monster. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Posted by: rgG
Date: December 14, 2005 05:06PM
Sorry to hear about the double bad news. I hope the new year brings better luck for you and yours.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Date: December 14, 2005 05:11PM
You need 20 weeks employment within the 52 weeks prior to being laid off. You need to wait until you are actually out of work for one week. You get one week waiting time (they don't pay you) and then you get 26 weeks. You have to collect them within the next 52 weeks. If you work at least 20 weeks during that 52 weeks you do it all over again.
Date: December 14, 2005 05:14PM
I knew about the takign 1st week and the if you get a job and work 20 weeks and get laid off you can reapply. . ..

but didn't know the rest. . .
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: December 14, 2005 05:16PM
Bummer :-(

in '95 I lost a job (department closed) that I had for over 15 years and it is an awful feeling

Upswing was I went out on my own and survived so far though not always easy.
Here's wishing you best of luck and hoping this is a minor bump in the road.

Posted by: Pam
Date: December 14, 2005 05:33PM
Sorry to hear that Monster but at least you sound like you are looking for the bright side of things. I hope you do qualify for unemployment. That should help.

What a rotten time of year to have this happen.
Posted by: bangman
Date: December 14, 2005 05:34PM
When it rains, it pours. Sorry about the double-hit.

Sounds corny but if you think good thoughts, good things happen.

Works for me.

---------
3GHz - The clock is STILL ticking Steve.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 14, 2005 05:57PM
doing anything this Saturday?

[popmart.biz]

Posted by: Keef
Date: December 14, 2005 06:40PM
Sorry to hear that, Monster – best of luck to you and the missus.

Posted by: GeneL
Date: December 14, 2005 06:52PM
As one who always made my own opportunities I would ask what your combined skills are and then think in terms of all the small businesses in your are that need someone to guide their involvement in internet presence, for example.

A friend of mine with an design background (Parsons/Pratt Institute) makes a living doing everything from store fronts to menu and signage design for small businesses in the NYC area.

Work for yourself if you have the skills.

Luck has nothing to do with it, As a Mac user, you are already special!

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Date: December 14, 2005 07:14PM
I've have been thinking of creating an electronic sign company for stores, or whomever may want it.
I would use LCD screens as an integral part of a display, or stand alone, connected to a computer that will run the display (complete with sound if wanted).
I can provide some of the advertising media shown on the display myself, or use what they provide.
The more complex the media, the more money it will cost to provide.
I can also manage it from another location if they provide a connection for me.
Posted by: stephen
Date: December 14, 2005 07:39PM
Truly sorry. Hang in there.
Posted by: blooz
Date: December 14, 2005 07:41PM
Good luck, Monster. I've been there too.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once.
—Friedrich Nietzsche
Western Massachusetts
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: December 14, 2005 08:36PM
sad smiley

Sorry to hear that, Monster. This is a really sucky time of year for such news.

I hope both of you find something soon. At least it sounds like you two are covered for a little while, at least!
Posted by: HomerNBender
Date: December 14, 2005 08:51PM
Check your private messages, Monster.
Posted by: GeneL
Date: December 14, 2005 09:16PM
Monster, if you can make an exciting presentation, something that really conveys your talent with excitement, you are off and running.

What seems like a setback can be the impetus to a whole new adventure.

I'll be happy to hear that you are moving ahead with your ideas.

Gene
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 228
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020