Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $100.53 ( +1.37 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
what does payment pending mean in ebay?
Posted by: bazookaman
Date: October 15, 2007 03:28PM
Someone claims they've paid me. Ebay states " This item is pending payment through PayPal." My Paypal account shows absolutely no indication of payment, pending or otherwise. This guys just sent me something from his end that says payment is "unclaimed". WTF is that???

Btw, I googled this and didn't find an acceptable answer.

Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: October 15, 2007 03:37PM
The payment is in "unclaimed status" that means you have to go into the transaction page and "accept" the payment.

This generally should not happen for an eBay auction.

From my experience this usually indicates that the payment has been sent to the wrong email address and so that is why you don't see it showing up in your account. If you did not get an email from PayPal about the payment then this is the most likely scenario.

Ask the buyer to double check the email address that they used to make the payment.

The only other reason for a "pending" payment for an eBay/PayPal transaction is if the buyer pays with an eCheck or a bank transfer that needs to be converted from a foreign currency.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2007 03:38PM by Harbourmaster.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: what does payment pending mean in ebay?
Date: October 15, 2007 03:42PM
Thanks Ken.

The payment is not showing up anywhere in PayPal. So I have no way to accept it. So i am guessing it must be foreign currency or an echeck.

Date: October 15, 2007 04:17PM
No of your not seeing it at all in PayPal, then the funds were not sent to the right account and that is why the buyer is getting the "pending acceptance" dialog.

The buyer/payer needs to cancel the first payment and resend his payment to the correct email address.

The best way to handle this is for you to send the buyer an eBay invoice to pay from. That way you know that the payment is going to the right account.

Of course it's a good idea to double check your info on eBay to make sure that everything is indeed correct...

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: October 15, 2007 04:31PM
Most likely the buyer paid with an eCheck which is just like a traditional paper check except no paper. The clearing time is the same, which is why the payment is pending. Paypal should show a clear date though when the funds will be available.
Date: October 15, 2007 04:34PM
The fact that nothing is showing for the payment in bazooka's account leads me to conclude that the payment was sent to the wrong email address and hence the wrong PayPal account.

Aloha, Ken

Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: October 15, 2007 05:02PM
Just wanted to confirm that Harbourmaster's information is correct. Most likely the payment was sent to the wrong address.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 15, 2007 05:15PM
If payment was sent to your address, you'd see SOMETHING about it...

since you don't, it was not sent to your address...
Date: October 15, 2007 08:13PM
thats what i figured. This dude had another auction that he won from some other site so i wonder if he sent both payments to the one place.

Click here to login