Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $524.94 ( +5.93 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Life Span of a router
Posted by: kap
Date: October 28, 2007 06:27PM
My brother just called me to say that his NetGear router expired. It was two years old. Is that the usual life span of an average router?

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Life Span of a router
Posted by: MikeF
Date: October 28, 2007 06:36PM
Had a LinkSys that only lasted a little over a year. Have had a Belkin router for 5+ years and another NetGear for over 3. Things happen...
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: October 28, 2007 06:36PM
kap
My brother just called me to say that his NetGear router expired. It was two years old. Is that the usual life span of an average router?
I still run a NetGear router that is 9 years old.
Have some die within minutes of taking them out of the box.
There is a lot of variables, mainly heat, as in blocked vents.
Also might be the AC Adaptor!

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: kap
Date: October 28, 2007 06:44PM
Ok. BGnR, I will have my brother check out the AC adapter. If it is dead after all, then I will recommend a Buffalo router to him.

Since we are talking of router. A friend's SBC/ATT modem/wifi router finally croaked after 5 years. The tech support told her that model was ancient. It was time for an upgrade. However, it would be at my friend's expense. She thought that the modem/router was offered as a part of the package. What do you all think?

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2007 06:45PM by kap.
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: October 28, 2007 06:51PM
kap
She thought that the modem/router was offered as a part of the package. What do you all think?
So did I.
But maybe the standard wired router is free, and the Modem/Router/WiFi unit is $$$.
I am old school, I get the FREE Modem and install my own Router, and WiFi, all separate.

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: Seacrest
Date: October 28, 2007 06:51PM
kap
What do you all think?

I think everybody is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Live from Berserkeley, California | Originally from the City of Brotherly Freakin' Love | WEEEEEEEEEE! Stuff, yo.
Posted by: hal
Date: October 28, 2007 07:08PM
I replaced a dead 5 yo linksys with a cheap netgear - it's a piece of crap

Transfer speeds are well under 1/2 the speed of the linksys even when I set up two computers within 5' of the thing. www surfing sufffers from what looks like crappy dns servers, but when wired, it's just fine.

I'm using the card in my G5 as a wireless network instead. Works as well as the old linksys.
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 28, 2007 07:52PM
I've never had one die, but I've retired several over the years and replaced them as WAN/LAN/WIFI speeds increased.

Only networking device of that failed was a DSL modem, and months after I replaced it I discovered that the modem itself was fine, it's just the power brick that was half dead (some lights on the modem did come on).
Posted by: Forrest
Date: October 28, 2007 07:53PM
It wasn't too long ago that most network equipment had a 5 year warranty. These days 1-3 years seems typical. First thing I'd do is see if the Netgear is still under warranty and if so, get it repaired.
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: October 28, 2007 08:15PM
Still using me old original graphite base station, over 7 years so far...
Posted by: testcase
Date: October 28, 2007 08:19PM
My Apple Airport Extreme has been act flakey for a couple of months now. I have to reset it frequently (sometimes multiple times a day). I had a new Uniden wireless router lying around so I'm trying that now. So far, so good.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: October 28, 2007 09:34PM
My Westell DSL modem is still going after 7 years. The first Linksys router still works after 6 years, and was only replaced so I could put in a Linksys router with 802.11g wireless. May connect the original router as just a switch once I turn off the routing side.

Posted by: mattkime
Date: October 28, 2007 11:07PM
netgear was much better a few years ago - they didn't always do @#$%& consumer routers.

i think heat can be a problem. some people are tempted to stack them. please don't.

VTPKL it!
Posted by: Craig
Date: October 29, 2007 12:15AM
My Netgear router lasted about 4 years before it croaked. I bought a Buffalo to replace it- seems very solid running dd-wrt.

I have a (US Made?) enterprise class Cisco switch that has been running for 9 years or so that I have never had to reboot (power outages aside)-- it is fused and has a cooling fan that I have cleaned out three times and replaced once. I expect it will still be running 25 years from now. Great hardware.

Big Guy and Rusty is dead on about cheap power adapters, they can crap out making you think the router is the culprit. If the voltage spikes when they die then they can take out the router as well.

If your router has the option to mount vertically, then do it. As others have said, heat is the enemy so anything that you can do to facilitate cooling helps.

I hate that most electronics and appliances are now built to be disposable- seems so wasteful.

Craig
Posted by: GGD
Date: October 29, 2007 12:24AM
Craig
Big Guy and Rusty is dead on about cheap power adapters, they can crap out making you think the router is the culprit. If the voltage spikes when they die then they can take out the router as well.

I even recall seeing some of the warrantee statements for network devices give different warrantee periods for the device vs the power adapter, with the power adapter getting a shorter warrantee period. So it seems that the manufacturers are also aware that the power brick is the first thing to go.
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: October 29, 2007 12:33AM
Oddly, a few minutes before checking this thread, I discovered that the plug on the end of the power supply for an old Buffalo WBR-G54 wi-fi router was intermittent. The soldering iron is warming up right now. I cut and split the molded plastic sheath off the connector to get at the bad center conductor connection. I'll use heat-shrink tubing to put it all back together. I thought the router had died, but no, it was something far easier to deal with.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Posted by: modelamac
Date: October 29, 2007 07:19AM
My brother had a Netgear die in about the same time span. It happens to all brands - a few of them die prematurely.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Mountain Lion.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: October 29, 2007 07:39AM
Old School Netgear (metal box) still going strong- prolly 6 years. Airport (Snow) still going strong- had to replace the mobo after a lightning strike 4 years ago. The newer stuff is engineered to last to the end of the warranty period.
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: October 29, 2007 10:21AM
I've got 2 Netgear RP114 routers in everyday use. One is even on my office LAN, connecting us all to the 'net. Both of those guys are at least 6 years old. I can't even find the mfg. date online...

Jeff

Help us find a cure for cancer, fold proteins with TeamMacOSX!
[teammacosx.homeunix.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login