advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
QT Video crashes Quicksilver - How? Why?
Posted by: jimmy d
Date: February 07, 2006 07:46PM
Someone posted a link to a QT Brokeback Mountain spoof [www.youtube.com] which I thought was pretty funny, so I went to the makers' site [www.chocolatecakecity.com] to see what else they had.

I tried their QT video named "The Main Event," since it's the shortest, and partway through it my Quicksilver suddenly shut down. This had never happened to me before, other than when the electricity goes out. I couldn't believe the video was responsible, but when I powered back up and played it again, the same thing happened.

I then played the same video on a Cube with no problem at all. I went back to the chocolatecakecity site and played another video named "A Message From Our Sponsors" on the Quicksilver, and, bang!, the same thing again.

I'm not going to fool around with that site any longer. What I saw of those videos wasn't worth wasting two seconds of time on, but I've never experienced anything like this before. I'm curious if someone can explain how or why this is happening. How can a QT video shut down my machine?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: QT Video crashes Quicksilver - How? Why?
Posted by: The Grim Ninja
Date: February 07, 2006 08:08PM
It may be really poorly encoded quicktime videos, but that shouldn't cause a shutdown.

Consider shutting down, opening the case, leaving it sit for 5-10 minutes.

Leave the case open and start up, verify that all fans are running. (Case fan, power supply, processor, video card).

It could be a warning sign that something else is happening. And do the check quickly, then shut the case. (You're right, it's not likely that a fan died, but that's the only thing I can think of that would cause your system to just shut off).

I suppose it'd help to know the exact configuration. (system, software).
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: February 07, 2006 08:47PM
I can tell you how it *could* happen...

Some Mac memory register contains the command to shut down the computer. If you knew where the command was in memory, you could write a one-line program to execute what was in that register and the computer would shut down.

If there's a misbehaving browser plug-in, it could be looking for chunks of data in the wrong place in memory and accidentally calling the shut down command.

Since it's a QuickTime movie, presumably it's your QuickTime plug in. Depending on the OS, the plug in could be in any number of different places on your drive. I'd replace it and see if the shut downs keep happening.

Alternatively, you could option-click the links to download the movies for play in the QuickTime Player which probably wouldn't shut down your Mac.
Date: February 07, 2006 10:11PM
Thanks for the replies, guys, but I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to diagnose this problem (>Consider shutting down, opening the case, leaving it sit for 5-10 minutes, etc., etc.), because I'm having no other such problems (Thank God!) with anything...just the videos I've cited on this one damned website. I just want to know what's going on.

It must have something to do with these videos, not with my set-up. But what? It's Emerson College kids that are making these things, so I'm sure there is no evil intent here.

Have any of you had anything like this happen before? I certainly haven't.

I'm running 10.4.4 and Firefox 1.5.0.1.

I just tried it again, and the first video I mentioned previously played without a hitch, this time, but the second one, once again, brought my computer to its knees: shut it right down.

I've never before had a web site shut my computer down like this. WTF is going on here?
Date: February 07, 2006 10:59PM
As I said, DOWNLOAD the movies by option-clicking the links and try playing them in the QuickTime Player. It almost certainly won't have the same problem.
Date: February 07, 2006 11:17PM
MacMagus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I said, DOWNLOAD the movies by option-clicking
> the links and try playing them in the QuickTime
> Player. It almost certainly won't have the same
> problem.

And as I said, MacMagus, I could care less about watching these movies. I am just interested in how they could crash my computer.

Anyway, they just played flawlessly for me using Safari. So has anyone got a theory as to why these same videos shut down my Quicksilver using Firefox?

Has anyone else had a similar experience where your computer has shut down just by clicking on a particular web link?
Date: February 07, 2006 11:41PM
What? You don't like the theory that I gave you already?
Date: February 08, 2006 12:03AM
MacMagus Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What? You don't like the theory that I gave you
> already?

No, I do not, MacMagus. If your theory is correct, then why do these videos shut down my computer when I view them using Firefox but not in Safari?

I've never seen a problem like this before on any of my computers. There is something weird about these videos.

But what?

Answer me!!
Date: February 08, 2006 12:33AM
> If your theory is correct, then why do these videos shut
> down my computer when I view them using Firefox but not in
> Safari?

Different applications, different memory-partitions, different errors, different ways of f-ing up your Mac when they get errors. That's why I suggested playing the movies in the QuickTime Player instead of in a browser.

BTW: "Main Event" is a standard H.264 video file.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 135
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020