Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
G4 1.25 AL Laptop screen dark and no sound
Posted by: JTman
Date: February 07, 2006 09:30PM
Re: this thread: [forums.macresource.com]

So I got this laptop that had been soaked or spilled or something. Took it apart, cleaned the Logic board up in a few areas with contact cleaner and a brush.

Put it back together and just about everything works. Firewire/usb/sirport/lit keyboard/battery/dvd drive/etc. However, the lcd backlight will not turn on. You can see that the screen is working fine - with a flashlight only. Also, the speakers and headphone jack have no sound.

Still might have been a bad idea to buy, but part of my reason was that I had a bit of a ding in the upper case of my 1.25 and I figured that I could replace it and then list a better auction and sell the shell of parts for about what I paid for it.

So, no backlight - anything I can do?

JT
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: G4 1.25 AL Laptop screen dark and no sound
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 07, 2006 09:47PM
There are some sources for backlights--First check to make sure the backlight is getting voltage
These guys have a good selection--and even some 12.1 LCDs for $99 (not sure if they are the correct one)
[www.lcdpart.com]

Also--I had an old Wallstreet do the same thing--it was one bad memory stick--easy to check.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2006 09:49PM by Ken Sp..
Re: G4 1.25 AL Laptop screen dark and no sound
Posted by: JTman
Date: February 07, 2006 10:40PM
Update: Looks like it's the display inverter board - you can see where it was burnt out at the connector.

FYI - these displays are really easy to take apart - piece of cake.

Gonna try and clean this connector up and see if she'll take.

JT
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 196
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020