advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is Replaytv in trouble?
Posted by: NewtonMP2100
Date: February 07, 2006 11:24PM
Went to the replaytv home site just to check the store out. . .

they have no units for sale. . .checked Amazon. . .no units for sale.

WTFrell?

Are they goners?

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is Replaytv in trouble?
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: February 07, 2006 11:37PM
[en.wikipedia.org]

"ReplayTV was founded in 1997 and purchased by SONICblue in 2001. On March 23, 2003 SONICblue filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and on April 16 sold most of its assets, including ReplayTV, to the Japanese electronics giant D&M Holdings.

On December 19th, 2005, Digital Networks North America announced that it is exiting the hardware business as soon as current inventory is sold out. ReplayTV will then concentrate on PC software sales of its DVR technology in a partnership with Hauppauge Computer Works, a manufacturer of Television cards for PCs."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2006 11:39PM by MacMagus.
Posted by: davester
Date: February 07, 2006 11:40PM
No, the company behind ReplayTV is solvent (more so than TiVo) and are staying in the DVR business. But....ReplayTV announced a few weeks ago that they were going to eliminate ReplayTV boxes, and were transitioning to a software product as part of a partnership with hauppage who will produce the hardware to go into media PCs and possibly other boxes. They recently had an insane firesale on all of their ReplayTV units. They are staying in the business but they are not selling boxes anymore. If you want one, you'll have to go the ebay/craigslist route, or you'll probably do better asking around at [www.avsforum.com] to see if anyone is willing to sell their extra units.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Date: February 07, 2006 11:45PM
Thanks for the info. . .

boy seems a bit silly to me. . .what happens when these units stop workin'. ..the inventory of units will be dwindling and prices for existing units will skyrocket. . .

people will start leavin for TIVO in droves. ..

Date: February 08, 2006 12:57AM
NewtonMP2100 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> people will start leavin for TIVO in droves. ..

Unlikely. There are a number of aftermarket repair places and the systems are relatively simple to fix...not too many components. Besides, they are vastly better than TiVos in oh so many ways...and they have a cult following who will happily snap up the broken machines that others discard. Besides, ReplayTV will probably continue to fix them at the same inflated prices as before...just like TiVo.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2006 12:58AM by davester.
Posted by: Stavs
Date: February 08, 2006 08:55AM
What they said. But just to chine in, the Replay interface is what is key for me. I just got my CableCo DVR, and although it is nice to record HDTV, the interface is really lacking. The plain old guide is depressing in that it only shows like 5 channels, while the replay shows close to 10 at a time. Add in the advertisements and its just dismal. Right now I have 2 Replays, a 5516 and a 5040. They are both upgraded to 240gb, so I have plenty of storage between the two and stream shows wirelessly. I have heard that the service will still be there, and as long as people are willing to pay $12.95 per unit per month to them, I see no reason for them to stop.

Stavs
Date: February 08, 2006 09:32AM
. . .I love my replaytv but the world is full of broken promises. . .

They have a following (so does the newton. . .and I'm not refering to me) but if they are no longer making units then how will they increase market share for new users?

And some people may think that this is the "end" for the company so sell their units. . Now while they can get a high price for them.

And if the company does decid to discontue them later. . .no more guide and will they even work properly with no daily updates?

Posted by: shadow
Date: February 08, 2006 09:33AM
davester Wrote:
> No, the company behind ReplayTV is solvent (more
> so than TiVo) and are staying in the DVR business.

Excuse me? The company that made ReplayTV is DEAD. It has been for years. Its carcass has been passed around to whatever bidder thinks it is worth anything (first to SONICblue and then to D&M Holdings). At worst, this is the same future in store for Tivo.

- Shadow
Posted by: Stavs
Date: February 08, 2006 09:51AM
NewtonMP2100 Wrote:
> . . .I love my replaytv but the world is full of
> broken promises. . .
>
> They have a following (so does the newton. . .and
> I'm not refering to me) but if they are no longer
> making units then how will they increase market
> share for new users?
>
> And some people may think that this is the "end"
> for the company so sell their units. . Now while
> they can get a high price for them.
>
> And if the company does decid to discontue them
> later. . .no more guide and will they even work
> properly with no daily updates?
>
>
As long as they keep that old Kaypro going with the guide, the machines will be fine. Its free money to them now. I wish 100,000 people would send me $12.95 every month.

Stavs

Date: February 08, 2006 10:39AM
...not the lifetimer though. . .

Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: February 08, 2006 11:19AM
ReplayTV has teamed up with Hauppauge using the guide as the source for their PC cards
[www.digitalnetworksna.com]
Date: February 08, 2006 02:28PM
shadow Wrote:

> Excuse me? The company that made ReplayTV is DEAD.
> It has been for years. Its carcass has been passed
> around to whatever bidder thinks it is worth
> anything (first to SONICblue and then to D&M
> Holdings). At worst, this is the same future in
> store for Tivo.

Completely irrelevant ancient history. The original company had insufficient capital to fight the lawsuits from the media companies regarding automatic commercial skipping and internet video sharing. That stuff is all long past. D&M have been, and likely will continue to be, in the electronic media biz for a long time. They own denon, marantz, rio and others. The cost of the guide service must be a pittance compared to the subscription dollars that continue to pour in, and the guide forms the core of their future business (partnership with hauppage). Sure, things could go south, but there would have to be some major upset for that to happen.

Posted by: shadow
Date: February 08, 2006 03:14PM
davester Wrote:
> Completely irrelevant ancient history. The
> original company had insufficient capital to fight
> the lawsuits from the media companies regarding
> automatic commercial skipping and internet video
> sharing. That stuff is all long past. D&M
> have been, and likely will continue to be, in the
> electronic media biz for a long time. They own
> denon, marantz, rio and others. The cost of the
> guide service must be a pittance compared to the
> subscription dollars that continue to pour in, and
> the guide forms the core of their future business
> (partnership with hauppage). Sure, things could
> go south, but there would have to be some major
> upset for that to happen.
>

You are missing the point, as I have made no comment regarding ReplayTV's future.

For a moment, we will neglect the fact that Tivo is in a deal to put their software on Comcast's STBs for some segment (hopefully large) of their 21 million customers and just announced the Series 3 box at last month's CES (would be sweet if Comcast used that as their STB, but not likely -- we're all stuck with the Moto 6412s).

Am I saying that Tivo (as a company) will be around forever? No.
Am I making any comparison between Tivo and ReplayTV? No.

I am simply saying if Tivo were to go bankrupt tomorrow, I would bet you hard cash that their service would be bought by someone else and their current customers would continue to enjoy their service and the new owner would develop additional revenue streams. Which is EXACTLY what has happened to the product known as "ReplayTV".

This brings me to my original point:

To use the question of long-term solvency against Tivo in a comparison with ReplayTV completely ignores the likelihood of what would happen with Tivo's assets in the case of a bankruptcy. A ReplayTV owner should be especially appreciative of this given that without such options, there would currently be no ReplayTV to even compare to.

- Shadow
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 243
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 5122 on October 03, 2020