advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
What's a good home Improvement magazine for beginners ?
Posted by: ItsMeAlison
Date: November 05, 2007 08:18AM
My husband and I just bought our first home. It was built in 1953 and needs all kinds of repairs, both minor and major and lots of updating.
I want to subscribe to at least one home improvement magazine that doesn't cater to professionals or those with a somewhat advanced knowledge of that kinda of stuff. Not looking for woodworking/craftsman type projects.
Ideally it would have projects like replacing doors, windows, fixing concrete, replacing electrical recepticles, etc. and also provide some creative home improvement articles.
Can anyone recommend a good one ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: What's a good home Improvement magazine for beginners ?
Posted by: davester
Date: November 05, 2007 08:26AM
Forget about magazines unless you happen to see one with a particular project you want. You need a comprehensive home repair/improvement book as a reference. I have had this one for years and it is extremely useful. [www.amazon.com]

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: tenders
Date: November 05, 2007 08:27AM
I've enjoyed Family Handyman for several years. It's a Reader's Digest publication. The pictures are clear and the projects are well-explained.

[www.rd.com]
Posted by: Stavs
Date: November 05, 2007 08:38AM
tenders
I've enjoyed Family Handyman for several years. It's a Reader's Digest publication. The pictures are clear and the projects are well-explained.

[www.rd.com]

I 2nd this. I also recommend any of the Black and Decker books. They have some complete manuals that try to include everything, but then there are topic specific books that are very good. You can pick most of them up cheap from Amazon if you buy used.

Good luck...also, I have had good luck just asking questions here on the forum.
Posted by: zero
Date: November 05, 2007 09:12AM
Don't buy magazines for home improvement.

But the Black and Decker series of books on home improvement. It gives easy to read, and visual descriptions of hundreds of common home improvement jobs.
Posted by: rgG
Date: November 05, 2007 09:12AM
You might like the This Old House Magazine. They have a 2 free preview issues promo, so you could try it and then cancel if you don't like it. I used to get it and enjoyed reading the articles.

[www.thisoldhouse.com]

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: Cary
Date: November 05, 2007 09:19AM
I third Family Handyman - easy read, some good tips. Today's Homeowner is OK, too. I would also get a Readers' Digest "New Complete Home Repair Manual", or something similar...

Cary
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: November 05, 2007 09:57AM
I, too, like Family Handyman. I disagree with zero's advice against magazines. Unlike most books, they'll have articles that take one project from start to finish, such as building a garden shed. Most books would have you shuffle from chapter to chapter each step of the way. Magazines are full of handy little tips about better ways to store your tools or keep your safety goggles from fogging up. Magazines feature new products aimed squarely at the DIYer. And finally, a few months ago, my Family Handyman came with a 10% coupon from Lowes, and saved me enough money to pay for a couple years' subscriptions.

For books, I'd suggest either Readers Digest's "Complete Do It Yourself Manual," or Creative Homeowner's "Home Book." I'd also suggest Readers Digest's "New Fix It Yourself Manual" which gives you the basics of appliance/electronics repair and so on.
Posted by: Stavs
Date: November 05, 2007 10:18AM
For $15 to $20 per year, you cant go wrong with Family Handyman. Every year I get an offer for a free gift subscription which I give to my father in law. For all the little tips, its worth it. I like it just to get ideas for future projects. I will admit that the articles do get repetitive from year to year....you always know when the "Painting tips" issue will come, etc. Other than that, its a good buy imo.

Stavs
Posted by: LaserKun
Date: November 05, 2007 10:40AM
Yep, it's Family Handyman...
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: November 05, 2007 11:04AM
I don't keep up with magazines very much...

Here's a book that has helped me a lot, and an earlier edition helped my father a lot... (there's been a copy in the house as long as I can remember...)

[www.amazon.com]

Hope this helps!

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: n-fin-it n-tro-p
Date: November 05, 2007 11:11AM
Again for FH. And if you check out one of the magazine deal websites (bestdeals, magazineline, etc), you can probably pick it up for like $4-5/yr!
Posted by: ItsMeAlison
Date: November 05, 2007 12:16PM
Awesome! Looks like a complete reference like the Readers Digest Complete DIY Manual and a subscription to Family Handyman is the way to go!
Cheap enough, Family Handyman is $24 for a 2 year sub from the source or $22 from bestdealmagazines.
And the big book, the RD Complete DIY Manual can be had for $5 plus shipping at Amazon and $1 on eBay!

Cary - can you find me a link to Today's Homeownwer magazine ? I can't find it. I found the website, but I don't see a magazine or any reference to it. Web site looks good, and i signed up for the newsletter though...

Anybody know if Smart Homeowner Magazine is any good ?

Thanks everyone !
Posted by: John B.
Date: November 05, 2007 12:19PM
I just dropped my This Old House Magazine subscription, after having been a subscriber since they started publishing. Too many articles on decorating and redoing kitchens with budgets greater than the total value of my first house. The Black & Decker books are good, I have an old set of the Time Life homerepair books that are good references as well. Maybe go to your local Home Depot/Lowes and browse their book section. Magazine-wise, I like Fine Homebuilding, but it's more oriented at the construction/remodeling trade.
Posted by: dmann
Date: November 05, 2007 03:13PM
I can't recommend any magazines, but you should also check out the forums at That Home Site and John Bridge.
[ths.gardenweb.com]
[johnbridge.com]

That Home Site has tons of forums on everything from plumbing, appliances, remodeling, flooring and more. Word of warning, some of the forums, such as "Kitchens" move quickly so threads drop off and they don't archive anything. If you find something you like, copy it, don't bookmark it.

The John Bridge forums are dedicated to tiling. Almost everyone there is a professional and they are very generous about offering tips and troubleshooting advice to DIYers.

Good luck-
DM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 115
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018