advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Postal Annex vs. The UPS Store - WTF on price differences?
Posted by: SDGuy
Date: November 13, 2007 05:21PM
I had a ~5 lb package to send to a company that's about 20 miles from me - it had to be sent via UPS or FedEx (it's a return, and that's part of their policy). Checked UPS and FedEx rates online - FedEx came in at just under $5, UPS at just over $7.

Checking the FedEx website, a nearby Postal Annex is the closest location. I get there, and the guy tells me that I can go either FedEx ground or UPS, but the price would be about the same for both - right around $17. WTF? I'm thinking...so I head over to the UPS store, go through the same routine, and it' s $6.97. I gladly pay that (and donate an extra dollar to the Toys for Tots drive they're doing).

Has anyone else used both of these places for shipping and noticed such a difference in pricing also? I don't see how the local Postal Annex can stay in business gouging people like that - the UPS Store is right up the road at the other major shopping center in the area.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Postal Annex vs. The UPS Store - WTF on price differences?
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 13, 2007 05:29PM
Each place can have their own markup. It really annoys me. I didn't discover this until I shipped a few large, expensive packages. Shipping should have been around $130, but it was closer to $170, IIRC.

The first time I thought I just measured wrong or something. The next time I was more careful and got burned again.

So I took the exact specs off the receipt and ran it through ups.com. It should have been cheaper. I contacted UPS and they said it was the local UPS store's markup. What annoyed me was when I did the estimate online, I chose that specific UPS store and they didn't tell me the price would be higher. If I choose a specific location to ship from, they should give me the price from that location.

Now I have a UPS account so I print the label off the web site and pay the regular UPS rates. Then I drop it off at the UPS store and not have to pay their extra fee fees.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: [macswap.org] LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]
Posted by: papercup
Date: November 13, 2007 05:31PM
My Staples in-store UPS counter is MUCH cheaper than the local UPS Store (franchise).
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: November 13, 2007 05:33PM
The difference is the UPS store is a franchise owned by UPS.
Posted by: Stavs
Date: November 13, 2007 06:01PM
Couple things to know when shipping:

1. All FedEx and FedEx Kinko's locations are company owned. You will pay the same regardless if you drop off at a "FedEx Staffed Location."
2. UPS Stores are franchises. They were formerly Mail Boxes Etc. Each operator is allowed to add additional markup.
3. Pack & Ship businesses (which I am assuming Postal Annex is), are the @#$%& of the shipping world. They do it all: FedEx, UPS, DHL, USPS, and they can/will add additional markup. For some this is convenient due to its location.
4. Staples and Office Depot I believe offer the same prices as UPS counter, but I am not positive. It all depends on the deal they have.

Thats it.
Posted by: hal
Date: November 13, 2007 06:16PM
Just do it all at home - pay online, print up the label and drop it at one of those places.
Posted by: Stavs
Date: November 13, 2007 06:31PM
hal
Just do it all at home - pay online, print up the label and drop it at one of those places.

Bingo. Take as many of the middle men out of the equation as possible and you will benefit from the savings. We love frisbees (thats what FedEx calls the prepaid drop offs). Also, sign up for an account if possible and you should get some savings as well.
Posted by: bryanus
Date: November 13, 2007 07:16PM
On thing to also note. Some of these franchise places will charge you for dropping off a package for pickup! My local "store" charges $5 per package. F U!
Posted by: hal
Date: November 14, 2007 02:35PM
Next time they try to charge you for a drop off, tell them that you'll contact the mothership - they wont like it at all!
Posted by: smp23
Date: February 25, 2009 08:48PM
As an owner of a UPS Store I can tell you that we do not and can not add any "extra markup". I'm not sure where you guys are getting your info but it is wrong - it is impossible and would be found during one of the many audits we are subjected to even if it were possible.

If you open your own UPS account, you get the same price you would get by dropping off at a local UPS Store. UPS Stores are owned by small business owners in your community. If you are so determined on screwing your neighbor - just go screw your neighbor! With that said - UPS - or as hal calls them "The Mothership" is screwing franchisees more than your drop-offs can. Another note, I have yet to meet an owner who charges customers for drop offs, so you again have a very strange situation. One thing I notice is that drop off customers seem to think they can come in and drop their packages when they are not packed adequately, not taped, or in bad shape. If the associate then ASKS if you'd like to have it repacked - that does not equate to "charging" you.
Posted by: dayze75
Date: October 15, 2010 10:56AM
Call UPS and open an account then you can do it all at home - pay online, print label and then call UPS to schedule your shipments to be picked up. UPS Phone Number - This web page lists 800 numbers to contact UPS by phone.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 77
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014