You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
The end of Starbuck's Pt II-- MickyD's poised to take 'em down
Posted by: h'
Date: November 18, 2007 06:54PM
Coffee clash: McDonald's takes on Starbucks

LIVE QUOTE
• MCD 58.13 +0.95 +1.66%
• SBUX 23.17 -0.93 -3.86%

CHICAGO - McDonald’s executives came out swinging when they announced their assault on the comfy world of coffee shops.

After the success of its upgraded drip coffee — which even managed to snag a thumbs-up from testers at Consumer Reports earlier this year — the fast food chain known for super-size meals is gearing up for a massive expansion into the world of lattes.

“We want to move from beverages as an accompaniment to being a beverage destination,” Don Thompson, president of McDonald’s USA, said in a meeting with analysts Tuesday. “Our speed, our convenience, the value that we can afford to customers without quality comprise will make us a formidable player.”

More:
[www.msnbc.msn.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 06:55PM by h'.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: The end of Starbuck's Pt II-- MickyD's poised to take 'em down
Posted by: AAA
Date: November 18, 2007 06:57PM
Just saw 60 minutes segment on fast food calories. Some starbucks drinks are over 800 calories??? Geesh.

I don't know how Starbucks funds its expansion. I think it will have to collapse under its own weight eventually.
Posted by: haikujim
Date: November 18, 2007 07:11PM
Starbucks spends more on health insurance for workers than it does for coffee. They raised their prices recently (reportedly) so that they could cover the insurance costs.
Posted by: comaplate
Date: November 18, 2007 08:32PM
Yes, McDonald's is precisely what I think of when I want somebody to make my latte correctly -- the high school kids there can't even understand what "no tomato" means, and in other locations, it can be difficult to order in English.

With Grande eggnog lattes now over $4 out by me, Starbucks' pricing is getting insane, but there's something to be said for quality control -- they're more likely to get it right the first time, and if they don't, will fix it (and when that doesn't happen, corporate customer service doesn't seem to mind buying your next one to get you back in the store...)
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: November 18, 2007 09:22PM
+1

I cannot imagine McDs training their workers to make coffee. No offense to the intelligent people who work there, but there are LOTS of not-so-intellignent people working in the McDs I infrequently frequent. Same happened when Dunkin D started to serve espresso drinks. They did not take down Starbucks and there's a DD on every corner in the New England area.

In fact, DD has since begun to scale back their espresso drinks and some locations do not advertise them on the menu board. But, if you ask, they will still make them. Odd.
Posted by: h'
Date: November 18, 2007 09:25PM
Not that I would expect anyone to click the link and read the rest of the article, but those points are all addressed.
Regarding quality control-- I don't frequent Starbucks that often but in my sporadic experience I'd say they get it right less than 1/2 the time. Seems like more often than not your drink gets made by a trainee who's completely unsure of themself. Boiling the milk is the most common problem I've experienced.
I've always found McDonald's coffee acceptable, in my equally limited experience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 09:26PM by h'.
Posted by: M A V I C
Date: November 18, 2007 10:06PM
I think Starbucks is great. Studies have shown they have helped independent coffee shops grow, they treat their employees well, and they have good customer services overall.

In this area at least, McDonald's uses Seattle's Best Coffee - which is owned by Starbucks. So it's not like MickyD's is competition.

Help MacInTouch: Buy from Amazon? use this link [amazon.com]
Mac News & Info: [macintouch.com] [macnn.com] [tuaw.com]
Mac Benchmarks: [barefeats.com]
Used Mac Stuff [FS/T]: LowEndMac Swap List
Mac Software Updates: [macupdate.com]
Fonts: [dafont.com] [fontspace.com]
Online Computer Store With Mac Support: [macsales.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2007 10:07PM by M A V I C.
Posted by: pRON aHOLIC
Date: November 18, 2007 10:33PM
"Seattle's Best Coffee", Is it really Seattle's Best?

-------------------------------------------------------

Join team 38910 folding! [folding.stanford.edu] multi cpu-[calxalot.homeip.net]
Posted by: Silencio
Date: November 18, 2007 11:29PM
pRON aHOLIC

Just like Milwaukee's Best really is Milwaukee's best.

Oh, wait.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: November 18, 2007 11:52PM
McD's coffee is among the US's worst, most acidic, overbrewed garbagiola. I mean, the stuff they brew in a sock at your local greasy spoon is better. I can't imagine CR giving it a 'thumbs up'. They leave the dang pot on 24/7, and just add more burned, melted gunk to the mix.

I see no threat.

I also don't drink StarBucks coffee. I just can't see spending all that valuta for a cuppa joe.
Posted by: AAA
Date: November 19, 2007 06:11AM
not according to folks round here.
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 19, 2007 09:24AM
Had McDonalds coffee the other day. I think it appeals to people that prefer a weaker brew. Wasn't my taste (I like coffee in my coffee).

The coffee I usually buy at Starbucks costs about $1.80 for a Venti and you can get a regular for $1.55. I don't know why anyone would expect a specialty coffee drink to cost less. A Venti Mocha costs $3.85 at the Starbucks near me. I buy just coffee 98 percent of the time and the price seems reasonable to me.
Posted by: bfd
Date: November 19, 2007 10:17AM
Nobody drinks 7/11 coffee anymore?
Posted by: billb
Date: November 19, 2007 10:37AM
Didn't McDonald's switch to Newman'sOwn coffee (whoever makes that).

Better than what they used to have (but some people liked that).

The McD's near my office knows how to ruin a salad.
Never been back.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: November 19, 2007 01:06PM
Vision,

That's my issue with Starbucks. A large cup of coffee with cream and sugar isn't speciality coffee. It's a cup of coffee. Nothing less and definitely not to specialty enough to justify the expense. They just want you to think it is because Starbucks has its name on it.

That said, I'd enjoy a cup of Starbucks coffee but only if they reduce its price. Never gonna happen. So, if i buy coffee from a shop, it isn't goign to be there. It won't be at McDonalds, either. It's craptacular brew. Some Dunkin Donuts make a good cup. Other's don't. Same goes for 7Eleven.

Mu current fave is Wendys. They now serve a cup of coffee which i enjoyed quite a bit. Let's just say I was surprised to say the least.

Robert
Posted by: guitarist
Date: November 19, 2007 01:23PM
Ohhhh....McDonald's is going to destroy Starbucks, steal their customer base, a new player is in town, watch out! Right. hahaha.

I hear 7-11 is poised to take down Whole Foods, too. Let the competition begin!
Posted by: vision63
Date: November 19, 2007 02:46PM
Robert M
Vision,

That's my issue with Starbucks. A large cup of coffee with cream and sugar isn't speciality coffee. It's a cup of coffee. Nothing less and definitely not to specialty enough to justify the expense. They just want you to think it is because Starbucks has its name on it.

That said, I'd enjoy a cup of Starbucks coffee but only if they reduce its price. Never gonna happen. So, if i buy coffee from a shop, it isn't goign to be there. It won't be at McDonalds, either. It's craptacular brew. Some Dunkin Donuts make a good cup. Other's don't. Same goes for 7Eleven.

Mu current fave is Wendys. They now serve a cup of coffee which i enjoyed quite a bit. Let's just say I was surprised to say the least.

Robert

I'm gonna have to give the Wendy's a try. When it's all said and done, I'll drink anybody's coffee versus having no coffee at all.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: November 19, 2007 11:33PM
pRON aHOLIC

there was a time that it and Starbuck's were good coffee. Back when mullets weren't laughed at.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2007 11:33PM by Racer X.
Posted by: Billiken
Date: November 20, 2007 12:33AM
Here in Central Europe (Poland), McDonald's coffee is pretty good. They have machines which grind the beans and make the coffee when it's ordered, so there's no old coffee that's been sitting in a pot. The cappucino is ok, too. (Last time I looked, they were using beans from Tchibo.)

When in Budapest earlier this year, I saw a number of "McCafe" outlets attached to normal McDonald's. They were very much Starbucks-like. Comfy chairs, nice cakes and cookies, etc..... Perhaps a product test for expansion to other countries?
Posted by: JoeH
Date: November 20, 2007 01:04AM
Racer X
pRON aHOLIC

there was a time that it and Starbuck's were good coffee. Back when mullets weren't laughed at.

Was there ever a time mullets weren't laughed at? Starbucks is okay if you like that style of roast and coffee, but just okay. Not the kind I like anyways.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 363
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018