advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $95.73 ( -2.42 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Anyone ever solder connector to rear window defroster?
Posted by: Randalls
Date: December 16, 2007 02:12PM
Noticed the Civic wasn't defrosting the rear window then saw the dangling tab. Thought about a cold solder gun. Anyone with experience using these?

They used to sell an electronically conductive epoxy but no one seems to handle it any longer. Permetex stopped production. Probably because it worked so well.sad smiley

Here are some net instructions:

If you know how to solder and have a high-capacity soldering iron or gun, solder the tab back on. It may take a third hand to hold the tab against the grid while you solder it. There’s usually a metal strip laid on the glass under the silk-screening. Clean the surfaces with alcohol and use 60-40 rosin-core solder. Work fast, because excess heat may crack the glass.

Sounds like I have to wait until the weather warms up or I can find a warm garage.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Anyone ever solder connector to rear window defroster?
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 16, 2007 02:20PM
I used some of these at work, up to 200A/cm^2. Different application, but I guess it should also work for your needs.

I am not sure how much they cost though, we got a kit with 6 jars, maybe they sell small kits.

[www.cotronics.com]
Posted by: Ken Sp.
Date: December 16, 2007 02:43PM
I had to do something similar, and found some self adhesive copper conductive tape at Frys B&M.
Date: December 16, 2007 03:04PM
Both plans sound doable- I will check out the costs. Thanks.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: December 16, 2007 03:23PM
They also make a conductive paint - check out the auto parts or electronics stores

[www.popularmechanics.com]
[cgi.ebay.com]

Date: December 16, 2007 07:05PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I don't know how much heat comes off that connection but it might be possible to glue both ends of the tab with epoxy and let the current run through the middle of the body of the tab. It would still be cool to zap it with that cold solder gun, weather permitting.
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: December 16, 2007 09:23PM
The cold heat device is a non-starter for this. I thing a small butane torch sold by Radio Shack used very quickly with rosin core solder will be the best way to re-solder, assuming that anything solderable is left on the glass surface. If not, superglue to attach, followed by conuctive paint is a good solution. I've done both ways in the past, both work. Good luck.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Posted by: AAA
Date: December 17, 2007 07:06AM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login