Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $112.65 ( +3.24 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Plumping Issue: Melted Wax in the garbage disposal
Posted by: kap
Date: December 22, 2007 05:26PM
Don't ask me who nor why for I am steaming right now. Any helpful suggestion is greatly appreciated. In the mean while I am googling away ...

West San Gabriel Valley, California ... for the time being :-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2007 05:47PM by kap.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Plumping Issue: Melted Wax in the garbage disposal
Date: December 22, 2007 05:48PM
From Yahoo! Answer. Is it good, bad or ugly?

Answerer 8
You need to get as much heat as possible into the u bend. If the u bend is plastic , you may get it hot enough using a large hairdryer. If you still have metal piping under the sink you might be able to use a blow torch. You could try heating a flexible drain cleaner with a blow torch and pushing it through the wax . Otherwise it looks like a complete strip down - straight forward but very messy.

Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: December 22, 2007 05:54PM
kap
Plumping Issue: Melted Wax in the garbage disposal.
How "PLUMP" did you want the Garbage Disposal"??
And Why??

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: decocritter
Date: December 22, 2007 05:54PM
What about boiling water?
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: December 22, 2007 06:21PM
You can pour boiling water down a disposal. I'd do it a gallon at a time. Then I'd replace the trap.

You could disconnect the trap, and look to see if there's wax in there, then clean it out, and then put it back. But if you do that you'd want to replace the seals under the nuts. It'd probably be easier to just replace the whole thing.
Posted by: h'
Date: December 22, 2007 06:22PM
If it's just in a p-trap, I'd start with boiling water.
Hot water is supposed to be bad for disposals though . . . but I really don't see how the disposal could suffer from the wax. Sounds like a P-trap dissembly is in your near future.
You'll probably want new gaskets and if the pipes are metal you may want to boil them at least briefly or else you'll have a heck of a time keeping it all together when there's a waxy film on everythng.
I guess I don't know exactly what the problem is. But having a disposal in a tenant's apartment seems like much more trouble than it's worth.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2007 06:26PM by h'.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: December 22, 2007 06:38PM
Where exactly is the wax ?

If it is still in the disposal I would not try to melt it, as it will just cool and create a much bigger problem downstream.
Better to pull the whole disposal and clean it out before it gets in the drain.

If it is in the p trap you can fish it out or just replace the trap.

If it is already past the trap and in the drain I would snake it and break it up but I'm guessing
that that would require a real power auger - not just a hand snake.

Posted by: GGD
Date: December 22, 2007 06:41PM
If this is really a lot of wax, I'm not sure if it's a good idea to try to re-melt it in the trap and send it even deeper down the drain pipes where it will cool and harden again.

I think you really want to try to remove as much of the wax as possible from the drain. Maybe soften it to get a snake into it, and cool it to harden around the snake and yank it out.
Posted by: $tevie
Date: December 22, 2007 07:08PM
I don't know anything about garbage disposals so don't laugh at me if this idea is stupid.

I know you can put candle holders in the freezer and after the wax is all frozen solid, it is very easy to take most of it off, usually just by snapping it off with maybe a little scraping here and there.

Is there something that could be done such as pulling the parts where the wax is and freezing them and then chipping out the wax?

Or put ice cubes down the disposal and grind them and keep adding more cubes?

I hope someone who knows how the heck garbage disposals work can say if this idea is sheer craziness or not...
Posted by: freeradical
Date: December 22, 2007 07:43PM
There are solvents for wax, although I'm not sure if dumping those chemicals down the sink would be a good idea. You'd have to check the MSDS's.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: December 22, 2007 07:47PM
"We may have to blast!" - Doc Brown

Grateful11
Re: Plumbing Issue: Melted Wax in the garbage disposal
Date: December 22, 2007 10:40PM
Hot boiling water did not work. So I disassembled the P-trap and the U bend. I removed the melted candle wax that blocked two sections. I even used a straightened hanger (don't have a snake yet) to snake through the pipe just to be certain. The clear wax water smelled good before the disassembly. Now it's the stinky dark sewage water. The clog is even worse now. Is there anything else I should try before coughing up the $$$$ for a plumber? BTW, I haven't tried undo the clog with a plunger yet.

UPDATE: Just spoke to a friend whose step-brother is a handyman. He advised to disassemble the garbage disposal for a thorough cleaning then put some eggshells into it to sharpen the blades (hmm... ) What do y'all think?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2007 10:51PM by kap.
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: December 22, 2007 10:54PM
where exactly is the wax ?

in the disposal or the trap ?

Posted by: guitarist
Date: December 22, 2007 11:41PM
Is it still plump? Did it slim down yet?
Date: December 22, 2007 11:42PM
lafinfil
where exactly is the wax ?

in the disposal or the trap ?

The wax was in the trap.

Posted by: h'
Date: December 23, 2007 01:44AM
As long as it's all taken apart, the next step would be to get in there with a power auger.

If it's well put back together, I'd try somewhat gently trying to free things up with a plunger (you may need two, and potentially a 3rd if there's another drain on teh circuit on your end of the blockage).
I'm willing to bet your wax has found something like a large hairball to use as a latticework to set up on.

I wouldn't bother dissemblng the disposal until after the drain is free, if at all-- I think your handyman is right on that it ought to pretty much clean itself out with some eggshells or a batch of dry chicken bones.
Date: December 23, 2007 02:15AM
Isn't plumping what happens to us when we eat to many Christmas cookies?
Posted by: modelamac
Date: December 23, 2007 06:42AM
Plunger probably won't help. If the wax is a solid at the "clog", it has stuck to everything around it. You might force a hole through part of it, but stand a better chance of breaking seals along the way.

An augur of some sort will probably work best as it will bore a hole through the "clog". Will it clear the pipe completely? Probably not, but enough so that decent drainage will occur. Chances are that unless you use some sort of eco-friendly solvent (does it exist?), the drain will back up again down the road.

I'd try the augur to get the system working again, then see if you can find a bio-degradable drain treatment to use as follow-up.

Mr. Curmudgeon, on Yosemite and Mavericks.
Posted by: GeneH
Date: December 24, 2007 11:54AM
h'
As long as it's all taken apart, the next step would be to get in there with a power auger.
... I think your handyman is right on that it ought to pretty much clean itself out with some eggshells or a batch of dry chicken bones.

Eggshells clean out and sharpen the GD blades? Throwing CHICKEN BONES in a GD?

Does this really work, esp. the bones? Have never disposed of the latter this way.
Date: December 24, 2007 12:03PM
... I think your handyman is right on that it ought to pretty much clean itself out with some eggshells or a batch of dry chicken bones."

A professional plumber would dismiss this as as utter nonsense, an old wives tale, modern folklore, a suburban myth.

"Sharpening blades" with dry chicken bones and eggshells? Right.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 26, 2007 07:55AM
The only thing the egg shells and chicken bones may be accomplishing (in those instances where the blades seem to be "sharpened) is scraping hardened goo off the blades.
(think of the cake carving knife with the hardened sugar on it hours later)

Hot water will only push the wax down stream making the solution more expensive.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 63
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014