advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ack! Office Black Friday Rebate Expires Today ....
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 23, 2007 04:28AM
I'd forgotten about this. Mine is still sitting here on my desk. How does one get something postmarked on a Sunday??!

"This completed rebate form and qualifying proofs of purchase must be postmarked by December 23, 2007. "
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ack! Office Black Friday Rebate Expires Today ....
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 23, 2007 05:24AM
I think you're screwed.

It is what it is.
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: December 23, 2007 06:13AM
> How does one get something postmarked on a Sunday??!

There are post offices that have hours on Sunday. You may have a bit of a drive to get to one.

Check locations at usps.com.
Posted by: MarkD
Date: December 23, 2007 06:29AM
I am preparing to head to my airport postoffice shortly in Houston, TX. It doesn't say USPO postmarked, just postmarked--so maybe a private delivery might do such as DHL, fedex, etc. however, those may be even more difficult to find on Sunday. Remember it will need a "real" USPO cancellation--I would avoid the private machine postmark, although ithat is an interesting question. Of course, ther is no place to ask today if that is adequate. Almost all big airports will have one. Sometimes going to the loading dock and sending special delivery or finding someone "in the back" to hand cancel. Good luck on find ing something.

I suspect that that may be the reason for the date of expiration.
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 23, 2007 07:22AM
how about Plan B? I never used it myself, but I have read success stories. YMMV.

Don't send anything at all. Then after 6-8 weeks call them to inquire. They will probably say they did not receive it, and ask you to submit copies. (of course, send copies, not originals at that point!).

On the other hand, they can say not responsible for lost or misdirected mail, so plan B may also fail.

I bet this is why they put the deadline on a Sunday, so screw as many people as possible. For every one like you, there are probably 10 that completely forgot about it.
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: December 23, 2007 08:24AM
space-time
I bet this is why they put the deadline on a Sunday, so screw as many people as possible. For every one like you, there are probably 10 that completely forgot about it.

OR because Sunday is the last day of the week. Seriously, if you are waiting until the last day to send in a rebate where you had all the info weeks ago who's fault is that? Rebate fulfilment cos. can be contemptuous, but c'mon, this isn't one of those "gotcha" moments.
Posted by: chopper
Date: December 23, 2007 08:48AM
Yeah, I wondered how long it would be before someone in the holier than thou crowd --instead of offering a possible solution--blamed me for not sending it in before this.

Of course I'm at totally fault here, and the fact that Microsoft specified the rebate to expire on a day when getting a postmark on the envelope would be next to impossible is merely tough @#$%&. I'm being unreasonable by expecting the last day of the rebate period to be a day the post office is actually open.
Posted by: threeprong
Date: December 23, 2007 08:49AM
If you have an ink jet printer.... scan the post mark of your choice and print it right on there.

=D
Posted by: space-time
Date: December 23, 2007 08:58AM
"If you have an ink jet printer.... scan the post mark of your choice and print it right on there."

yeah, but then wouldn't the post office apply a new post-mark with a later date?

I wonder if you go to USPS.com and print your own postage, if that has a date printed on it already, perhaps that is good enough?
Posted by: jimbrady
Date: December 23, 2007 09:09AM
Sunday is the first day of the week.

Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: December 23, 2007 09:11AM
has anyone checked the status of their rebate? I sent mine in just days after black Friday, when I received Office in the mail. Just checked the status and says they haven't received it yet but to allow 30 days. So I'll check again at the New Year I guess.
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: December 23, 2007 10:14AM
chopper
Yeah, I wondered how long it would be before someone in the holier than thou crowd --instead of offering a possible solution--blamed me for not sending it in before this.

Of course I'm at totally fault here, and the fact that Microsoft specified the rebate to expire on a day when getting a postmark on the envelope would be next to impossible is merely tough @#$%&. I'm being unreasonable by expecting the last day of the rebate period to be a day the post office is actually open.

Ah don't be so egotistical to think I was directly referring to you. I wasn't. My comment was directed at the idea that the last postmark date was set at Sunday was meant to be a "gotcha!" That is just silly.

As MacMagus already stated most larger cities have at least one P.O. that is open on Sunday. Just fling it by and have them hand postmark it or send it certified/return rec't to avoid any doubt at all. Not really a big deal.
Posted by: Todd's keyboard
Date: December 23, 2007 10:19AM
Would an "Automated Postal Center" postmark today's date on an envelope? There seem to be quite a few of these around.

Choose the option "Automated Postal Centers" from this URL:

[www.switchboard.com]

and type in a location near to you.

Haven't tried this personally, so I can't guarantee it will work. Might be worth a shot.

Also, searching "Sunday" at the home page of the USPS might be help. It looks like some post offices were open last Sunday. Didn't inspect all of the results.

Good luck.

Todd's keyboard
Posted by: wowzer
Date: December 23, 2007 10:59AM
My brother-in-law dialed back the date on the ink in his office's postage mark. Apparently the post-office will accept these without additional stamps (if I recall correctly). He got the rebate (for what it's worth).

See if you can find one of those. Also, the central Post-Office in New York City is open (if I recall correctly) on Sundays.

GL.

How much is the rebate for?

All I ever really needed to know, I learned from watching Star Trek.
Posted by: Janit
Date: December 23, 2007 11:43AM
The automated postage centers print out a dated mailing label. Many of them are open 24 hours. I'm don't know if they will print out First Class postage, so you might have to spring for Priority Mail. Online USPS postage is also printed out with a dated label, but is limited to Priority Mail or more expensive.

HOWEVER, automated postage centers have another feature that you might use to your advantage if you don't want to pay for Priority Mail.

If you tell the automated center that you have a package with only partial postage, you can buy postage to make up the "difference," and you can ask it to print out a small postage sticker rather than a full size mailing label. It would take a little thought to get it to print out something close to 41 cents, and it's also possible that USPS will be unhappy if you put a letter in the package drop slot, but I suppose you could put it in the regular slot.

I have used this feature to add postage to prepaid Priority Mail packages. Sorry, but I don't remember whether the sticker was generic or said Priority Mail on it. I think maybe not, but I can't guarantee it.

Postage printed out on an automated center will show the date, amount of postage, and destination zip.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2007 11:48AM by Janit.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: December 23, 2007 12:11PM
The postage you buy from an APC shows the date of sale, but it doesn't constitute a postmark (see example below). The best bet would be to find an airport post office that's open today. Take your mailpeice to the counter and get them to handstamp it.

Date: December 23, 2007 02:47PM
According to my local post office, that date IS equivalent to a postmark. In fact they won't accept packages from me if my pre-printed postage is even one day "old." I've been told the same by the clerks at several different post offices.

What really matters, though, is what the rebate fulfillment people think. In the past I've bought First Class postage for rebates at the postal counter. The dated machine-printed postage sticker worked just fine, even thought I didn't think to have it hand-canceled.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2007 02:54PM by Janit.
Posted by: N-OS X-tasy!
Date: December 23, 2007 03:10PM
jimbrady
Sunday is the first day of the week.

God rested on the first day?

Slacker.

It is what it is.
Posted by: tronnei
Date: December 23, 2007 03:51PM
As is often the case, postal clerks are misinformed. Despite what you've been told, APC postage can be used anytime, no matter when it was purchased. The date printed on it is a date of sale only; it doesn't mean it must be used that day, nor is it intended to be a postmark. Note the last sentence on the page linked below: "The availability of postage strips at APCs also benefits customers who may wish to purchase postage for future use."

[tinyurl.com]
Date: December 23, 2007 06:18PM
tronnei
As is often the case, postal clerks are misinformed. Despite what you've been told, APC postage can be used anytime, no matter when it was purchased. The date printed on it is a date of sale only; it doesn't mean it must be used that day, nor is it intended to be a postmark. Note the last sentence on the page linked below: "The availability of postage strips at APCs also benefits customers who may wish to purchase postage for future use."

[tinyurl.com]

Good to know. There seems to be a distinction, then, between APC labels and metered mail, which is expected to be dated the same day it is sent: "A meter stamp must bear the current date. If the postage bears a previous or future date, the meter stamp is considered 'stale.' "

The post office can re-cancel stale metered mail to update the postmark, but they may decide to reject your mail if you make a habit of submitting incorrectly dated metered mail.

The clerks I have dealt with treat labels purchased online like metered mail, so that must mean that the dates on online labels do serve as postmarks, even if that's not true of APC postage.

PS Sorry, I couldn't get the Forum to post the link properly, but here's what I got when I searched the USPS FAQs for the word stale:

Stale Meter Date

A meter stamp must bear the current date. If the postage bears a previous or future date, the meter stamp is considered "stale."

* The meter date must be updated daily. Mail must be metered with the actual date of mailing.
* Mail deposited after the day's last scheduled collection may bear the actual date of deposit or the date of the next scheduled collection.
* Authorized dispatch prepared presort mail accepted after midnight may bear the previous day's date.
* A customer who has mail with stale meter dates, but correct postage may run the mail piece through a again to produce a meter stamp with the correct date but $0.00 postage.
* This correction may be run on the reverse side of the envelope (upper right corner). For flats and parcels the correction should be made next to the existing meter stamp.

If you have questions regarding operation or meter settings, you should contact the Mailing Requirements of your local Post Office facility.

Note: The United States Postal Service examines metered mail to detect irregularities in preparation and dating. If stale dated metered mail is identified by a postal employee (machines do not catch stale meter dates) the mail piece(s) will be cancelled with the correct date. The mailer will be notified of the error and if the mailer continues to submit mail with stale dates, the USPS will return the mail to the mailer for correction before it will be accepted.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2007 06:27PM by Janit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 363
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018