Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $97.03 ( -0.16 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Ho many ounces in a cup of coffee?
Posted by: h'
Date: December 29, 2007 10:16AM
I've been filling my 4 cup Mr. Coffee with a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup . . . a full 2 cups or water fills the cannister about to the 3 1/2 cup mark.
Is there some sort of standard I'm not aware of that says a cup of coffee is really 4.something ounces?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Ho many ounces in a cup of coffee?
Date: December 29, 2007 10:26AM
There is some standard that a "cup" of coffee is 5 ounces so a carafe for a coffee maker rated for 10 cups holds about 50 ounces. I found some sites that say the manuals for Cuisinart and Krups makers have this listed but I was not interested enough to track them down.

in tha 510.
Posted by: billb
Date: December 29, 2007 10:40AM
Doesn't the Mr. Coffee have a carafe to transport water with ?
Posted by: Dakota
Date: December 29, 2007 11:12AM
It is a well known secret that a cup is not really cup. I can fill up the whole Mr. Coffee pot with 4 coffee mugs of water. I think it is rated at 10 or 12 cups. One amusing thing that I have never been able to explain is that I sometimes get less water out than I put in.
Date: December 29, 2007 11:50AM
billb
Doesn't the Mr. Coffee have a carafe to transport water with ?
The cannister on the back is removeable but it doesn't always seal well so I don't remove it anymore.
Date: December 29, 2007 11:52AM
Dakota
One amusing thing that I have never been able to explain is that I sometimes get less water out than I put in.
Spooky!
Date: December 29, 2007 11:55AM
Doesn't the dry coffee grounds absorb and retain a percentage of the water ?

If you weigh the grounds before perking, then after, the sum of the resultant coffee in the carafe and the now heavier grounds should equal the weight of the water you poured in.

I'll assume you don't miss and pour water all over like I do.
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 29, 2007 12:03PM
yes, in the modern age a cup is not a cup. i've seen 6 and 5 ounces called a cup when it comes to coffee. don't understand why or where this malpractice first occurred.
Posted by: GGD
Date: December 29, 2007 12:14PM
graylocks
yes, in the modern age a cup is not a cup. i've seen 6 and 5 ounces called a cup when it comes to coffee. don't understand why or where this malpractice first occurred.

Seems like a good cause for a class action law suit. If lawyers could get Seagate to cave because 1,000,000,000 bytes is not a gigabyte in some peoples minds, it seems like a slam dunk to when a cup is not 8oz.
Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 29, 2007 12:26PM
The "mugs" we call coffee cups these days are a lot larger than what used to be used. You can see it with any older set of china or old place settings of dinnerware. I have some older sets around. The cups hold 8 ounces filled to the rim, or a "cup". You would only put about 5-6 ounces of coffee in to leave room for milk or cream and to not slop it all over.

Date: December 29, 2007 12:28PM
5 or 6 ounces to a coffee cup
instead of eight to a normal liquid measue.

Add imperial and canadian gallons into the mix and it is a lot easier not to measure.

Or fill your mug just half way, and have a little bit left over.
It's coffee. weak or strong it still tastes like coffee.
Date: December 29, 2007 12:31PM
GGD
graylocks

Seems like a good cause for a class action law suit. If lawyers could get Seagate to cave because 1,000,000,000 bytes is not a gigabyte in some peoples minds, it seems like a slam dunk to when a cup is not 8oz.

LOL!! That's hilarious!

(who else is in?)
Date: December 29, 2007 12:33PM
billb
5 or 6 ounces to a coffee cup
instead of eight to a normal liquid measue.

Add imperial and canadian gallons into the mix and it is a lot easier not to measure.

Or fill your mug just half way, and have a little bit left over.
It's coffee. weak or strong it still tastes like coffee.

Not measuring is also my standard approach to food prep. The fact that it comes out a bit different every time is a feature, not a bug. And the times it's a total washout . . . still worth it.
Posted by: DinerDave
Date: December 29, 2007 01:19PM
h'
I recently saw a 4 cup coffee maker that made me do a double take. The picture on the box showed the carafe full to the 4 cup mark, but the coffee "mug", not cup on the picture was also full of coffee, so did they get 5 cups out that 4 cupper?
I guess growing up with George Carlin makes you look at words and sayings a little differently than some others.

Dave

The secret to a long life is...

Don't do anything to shorten it.
Posted by: AllGold
Date: December 29, 2007 01:22PM
I did my Ph.D. thesis explaining where the missing water goes. In a nutshell...

- absorbtion by the coffee grounds and filter, plus adhesion in the filter basket
- evaporation (you're boiling water, right?)
- Mr. Coffee coffee makers suck and sometimes a significant amount of water dribbles down the side of the coffee maker wall near the pot, never making into the pot (unknown whether that water has passed through the brewing basket first)

Note: I don't have a Ph.D. Perhaps my choice of thesis subject is to blame.

Date: December 29, 2007 01:32PM
AllGold

Sorry to hear that. Maybe you didn't drink enough coffee? grinning smiley

in tha 510.
Date: December 29, 2007 01:37PM
AllGold

- absorbtion by the coffee grounds and filter, plus adhesion in the filter basket
- Mr. Coffee coffee makers suck and sometimes a significant amount of water dribbles down the side of the coffee maker wall near the pot, never making into the pot (unknown whether that water has passed through the brewing basket first)

I was hoping the question about the missing water was in jest . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2007 01:39PM by h'.
Date: December 29, 2007 01:49PM
I thought adding smilies was too obvious.

Posted by: JoeH
Date: December 29, 2007 01:51PM
AllGold
I thought adding smilies was too obvious.

Hey, this is the Internet. You can never be too obvious. spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: richorlin
Date: December 29, 2007 10:06PM
What is so difficult? There's a big difference in a "cup" as a container and a "cup" as a measure of volume. A measuring "cup" is 8 ounces and only 8 ounces - never 4 or 6.
A "cup", meaning a container to hold liquid or powder can be anything from a one ounce espresso cup to a 16 oz coffee mug. It's pretty clear that the coffee maker manufacturers are referring to the latter. Is this something that should take 19 posts to discuss? OMG! what a colossal waste of bandwidth.

richorlin
Posted by: graylocks
Date: December 30, 2007 12:08AM
richorlin
What is so difficult? There's a big difference in a "cup" as a container and a "cup" as a measure of volume. A measuring "cup" is 8 ounces and only 8 ounces - never 4 or 6.
A "cup", meaning a container to hold liquid or powder can be anything from a one ounce espresso cup to a 16 oz coffee mug. It's pretty clear that the coffee maker manufacturers are referring to the latter. Is this something that should take 19 posts to discuss? OMG! what a colossal waste of bandwidth.

the directions for making coffee on most bags usually say 1 (or 2) Tablespoons of coffee per cup. well, what size cup does that manufacturer mean? there's a big intensity difference between 5 ounces of water and 8. i've yet to see directions that specify the amount of fluid. and if you buy a coffee maker thinking you'll get 80 ounces per pot and in reality you get 50 ounces, your friends are pissed off because you didn't make enough coffee the first time around. that's why it matters.

of course we're wasting bandwidth on this. that's why we hang out here!

Date: December 30, 2007 12:14AM
richorlin

LOL!!!!!
Posted by: richorlin
Date: December 30, 2007 07:40AM
By the way, I've found that it takes a few pots of coffee to get the ratio right on a new coffee maker. Never mind the directions from the manufacturer. Everyone has a different idea of the perfect cup of coffee. Some like it so you can see through it, others like to stand a spoon up in it.

richorlin
Posted by: RgrF
Date: December 30, 2007 08:59AM
AllGold

So this formula can be adapted to find the missing socks?

When fascism Comes to America it will be wrapped in a flag and carrying the cross - Sinclair Lewis
Re: How many ounces in a cup of coffee?
Posted by: incognegro
Date: December 30, 2007 09:34AM
Most coffee instructions I've read mention a 6 oz. cup.

So it's not a 'Cup' (standard measure, 8 oz.) but a "coffee cup" (rather than a "mug").

Date: December 30, 2007 03:04PM
RgrF
AllGold

I have wished for years that there was a way to store socks on your hard drive.
Date: December 30, 2007 07:01PM
RgrF
AllGold
I did my Ph.D. thesis explaining where the missing water goes.

Hmmm, maybe I'll finally get that Ph.D. after all. smileys with beer

Date: December 31, 2007 09:31AM
richorlin

The only "waste" is the time taken to read it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login