Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $140.64 ( -0.28 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
comcast and cable card for hdtv???
Posted by: weapon
Date: December 31, 2007 01:48AM
Does comcast supply them? I have a new hdtv and they have told me I need to up my package to the highest tier to get another hd box. I already have one HDdvr box and 2 standard boxes for crt tvs + I am already near the top tier in programing.

I thought they were required by the government to make cable cards available. I want to keep the new tv install as clean as possible.

Advice?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: comcast and cable card for hdtv???
Posted by: BigGuynRusty
Date: December 31, 2007 01:59AM
weapon
Does comcast supply them? I have a new hdtv and they have told me I need to up my package to the highest tier to get another hd box. I already have one HDdvr box and 2 standard boxes for crt tvs + I am already near the top tier in programing.

I thought they were required by the government to make cable cards available. I want to keep the new tv install as clean as possible.

Advice?
Have You Called Comcast??

BGnR

"Good heavens, Miss Sakamoto! You're beautiful!"
"If we dig precious things from the land, we will invite disaster."
"Near the day of Purification, there will be cobwebs spun back and forth in the sky."
"A container of ashes might one day be thrown from the sky, which could burn the land and boil the oceans."
Posted by: olnacl
Date: December 31, 2007 05:21AM
Dunno where you live, but ComCrap is generally a PITA when it comes to CCs. I have a TiVo and went through Hades getting the cards at the correct price. It's still not right after more than a year, but I finally gave up and am paying the extra (and incorrect) charge for the convenience.
At one point I took everything of theirs and dumped it on the office desk and said I quit! (Later I started over and finally got what I wanted at (nearly) the right price TVs haven't been as tricky to get them to provide the card and service although in nearly all markets, you'll get ripped for a service call to "install" it and then endure long waits while the tech tries to get someone to take the numbers and authorize the programming.
In S FL, they require you to subscribe to a "digital package" which costs me $19.95 a month plus the CC rent and, if you have more than 1 device, an EO (extra outlet) charge. The costs mount pretty fast.
Good luck!

Posted by: deckeda
Date: December 31, 2007 09:04AM
weapon
I thought they were required by the government to make cable cards available. ...

That's correct, but the more you read about cable cards the more you'll learn that the law is just weak enough as to be ineffective. Cable companies don't want to supply the cards, and the law says nothing about putting up hoops for you to jump through, or about how beneficial they are once you get them.
Posted by: Ted King
Date: December 31, 2007 10:05AM
I believe the FCC says that cable companies must "support" cablecards but I don't think it requires them to provide the cablecard service for free. Most Comcast offices will not charge for the cards themselves but will charge to have them installed - though, weirdly, some people can just go to their local Comcast office and pick up the cards. Many people have a lot of problems with the cards Comcast provides. Comcast has issued statements that the many problems their costumers are having with the cards is due to issues with the card manufacturers and card standards. I suspect that Comcast is deliberately doing everything they can to get people to use their boxes rather than cablecards because they provide more revenue.

Does the set have a QAM tuner? If so, you may be able to get some or all of the non-encrypted channels going through that tuner and just skip the cablecard. If the set has a QAM tuner I'd give that a try first. I'm thinking that since you already have HD going to your house for the HD DVR, then the line to this other set could very well have all the signals going to it and your QAM tuner may be able to pick them up. You may only be able to get the local digital/HD stations unencrypted and that may not be sufficient for you; and you could buy a cheap indoor RadioShack HD antenna that oftentimes can pick up those signals. But it wouldn't cost anything to try your QAM tuner (if the set has one) and see what you get. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Later edit: If you do try the QAM tuner route, you need to have the set do a scan of available stations since the channel numbers Comcast assigns may not be anything like the channel numbers you might expect.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2007 10:53AM by Ted King.
Posted by: davester
Date: December 31, 2007 07:09PM
Yup, what they said. Most of the HDTVs now come without cable card slots. Why would that be, when the cable card system is far superior, both picture-quality-wise and convenience-wise? You guessed it...because the evil cable companies (Comcast is at the top of the list) fought to dilute the regulations and then make it very difficult to actually get a usable one so that they could sell you things you don't want. Bastids!

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 363
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015