Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $159.65 ( +2.44 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
MacBooks and Harddrives
Posted by: Sam*
Date: December 31, 2007 06:36AM
I'm likely going to buy the 2.2 ghtz/Superdrive white Macbook.

I'm thinking of swapping the 120 HD it comes with with a Hitachi 160 at 7200RPM or the similar Seagate model.

2 questions.

1. Can I take that 120 that I will have removed and swap it with the 60 GB HD in my daughter's MacBook? Her Macbook specs are as follows:

Machine Name: MacBook
Machine Model: MacBook1,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per processor): 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz

2. Do people have preferences re: Seagate vs. Hitachi?

thanks,

Sam
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: MacBooks and Harddrives
Posted by: Finney
Date: December 31, 2007 07:13AM
1. Yes.
2. Hitachi.

-Finney
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: December 31, 2007 09:19AM
Read OWC Larry's latest email on WD.

Happy New Year.

Seagate problems.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Date: December 31, 2007 09:35AM
Go to Top, can you give me little more guidance on where I might find that letter?

Finney, thanks for the response. My daughter will be quite pleased!

Sam*
Posted by: anonymouse1
Date: December 31, 2007 09:54AM
I don't remember exactly, but I think you can get nearly the same performance from one of the large 5400 rpm disks as from the smaller 7200 rpm--has to do with the fact that the data is more densely packed on the larger 5400 disks. Might be some info over at www.barefeats.com.
Posted by: Go To Top
Date: December 31, 2007 09:58AM
Get letter from OWC. and get on the mail list.

Not sure on how to forward you the letter. Most every one on the Forum gets it. You could

PM OWC Larry or OWC Jamie.

A man who is of "sound mind" is one who keeps the inner madman under lock and key.
(Paul Valery)
Posted by: will2000
Date: December 31, 2007 10:29AM
From the letter:

320GBs inside and on the go in your MacBook, MacBook Pro
It's about a 18 months ago now that we first started working with the Western Digital Scorpio line of 5400RPM 2.5" notebook drives. Due to some less than favorable recent history with WD, we proceeded with caution - but were very favorably surprised. It should be said that every hard drive manufacturer seems to have it's ups and downs... in fact, most recently, Seagate has had an issue with a drive model that can experience total total and virtually unrecoverable data loss when a read/write head inside catastrophically fails and chews up the platters inside. In fact - this affected a bunch of Macbook owners as it happened to be a couple models that Apple used OEM (OWC at no time used the affected). Stuff happens - and ideally, lessons are learned and without need for a refresher. Anyway...

We have found current WD models to truly deserve their 'best in class' recognitions with outstanding performance vs. other 5400RPM drives, excellent reliability, extremely quiet operation - as well as usually a very competitive value point. As a result, you'll find the Scorpios a wide array of our On-The-Go portable solutions due to their outstanding qualifications.

Cutting to the chase - earlier this year WD raised the bar with the first widely available 250GB 2.5" Drive (currently $139). This month, we are pleased to add and have immediately available their brand new 320GB model for $207.50.

320GBs is a lot of data to have on a device subjected to the abuse a laptop can incur through normal use. While a hard drive is the most likely device to fail in virtually any computer, be it a desktop or a laptop - and backups are best made the rule and not the exception - of the 5400RPM notebook options available on the market today, I find no problem once so ever in recommending the Scorpios by WD. And now with a WD Scorpio, that's 320GB you can be packing under the hood! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2007 10:30AM by will2000.
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: December 31, 2007 10:35AM
This is where to find the back issues.
[www.macsales.com]

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 31, 2007 10:57AM
going from 120 to 160 seems like a waste even if its 5400 to 7200

or course, im assuming that your macbook isnt being used for super intensive disc access on a regular basis? right?

go with a 250... [www.barefeats.com]

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Date: December 31, 2007 12:38PM
Gang,

Thanks for all the great advice. I appreciate it. I'll probably actually make the purchase in a couple months, and lean toward the Hitachi 200 7k. I just wanted to know about the ability to swap my daughters' drive as a little psychic incentive in moving the whole purchase forward. It's amazing what amazingly peripheral, and relatively inconsequential small details can function as the launching pad to close a deal. Marketers and sales people know this well. It's funny to be actually conscience of it while I'm going through it.

Happy New Year,

Sam*
Posted by: jdc
Date: December 31, 2007 02:26PM
go with the extra 50 gigs -- not sure why all the clamoring for a 7200 rpm drive in your 'book?

boosting the ram to 4 gigs would be far better money spent, IMHO

again, not sure how much "disc" activity you plan on with your book, but i bet its not a lot...

----

Edited 999 time(s). Last edit at 12:08PM by jdc.
Posted by: Bill in NC
Date: January 01, 2008 03:00PM
Skip the 200 in favor of the 250GB WD.

n.b. be sure to format it GUID partition - my WD would not boot (installed internally) when partitioned the default APM (Toshiba, Seagate had no problems booting APM)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 311
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 847 on February 04, 2015