advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Blood pressure again- can anyone recommend a home monitor?
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: February 06, 2008 07:05PM
Keying off of beerman's thread:
[forums.macresource.com]
A good friend in his early 40's has started having hypertensive crises, and he sort of refuses to deal with it. I'd like to order a home BP kit online and have it arrive at his door.
Any specific recs appreciated.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Blood pressure again- can anyone recommend a home monitor?
Posted by: Buzz
Date: February 06, 2008 07:20PM
costco has some good units...

<[www.costco.com]|589&N=4018997&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=66524&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=>

we have this one from a few years ago:

<[www.costco.com]|589&Ntt=blood%20pressure%20monitor&No=4&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&topnav=&s=1>

Sometimes it is what it is...
and then there's times when it's really better.

==
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 06, 2008 07:22PM
I bought several for my parents and some other relatives. In my experience, the electronic ones seemed not very accurate (i.e. repeating the test gave very different results) and also tend to fail. Then I bought the cheapest analog model from CVS (the one with a dial gauge and a stethoscope) and those work much better and give reproducible results.

Anyway, if you go for the electronic version, do not buy a cheap model. Buy something more advanced, or just go analog.

YMMV
Date: February 06, 2008 07:23PM
Thanks!
I don't do big boxes though, except for HD/Menard's when I have no other choice-- it really needs to be available online.
Posted by: earache
Date: February 06, 2008 07:37PM
I've had this one for about 2 years and it's been pretty accurate. Still on the same batteries too: Omron HEM 780
[www.amazon.com]

earache
Date: February 06, 2008 07:50PM
Thanks!
Kind of wierd that the 711dlx costs more than the 780 and has less features.
earache
I've had this one for about 2 years and it's been pretty accurate. Still on the same batteries too: Omron HEM 780
[www.amazon.com]
Posted by: davester
Date: February 06, 2008 10:04PM
I have this one: [www.amazon.com]
It's a cheaper version of earache's model. The main difference is that mine omits the air pump and relies on you inflating it with a bulb (very simple actually). I checked it at the doctor's office and it is quite accurate. Omron has a pretty good reputation. I definitely do NOT recommend what space-time suggested especially given that the person is not inclined to take their blood pressure. Using a cuff/gauge/stethoscope definitely takes some skill. The electronic ones are no-brainers.

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 06, 2008 10:24PM
A vote for Omron.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 06, 2008 10:34PM
most portable electronic ones I see in use by medical pros are Omron brand. That is what all the home hospice nurses my mom worked with use. She has one that she uses at the nursing home she works at as well.
Posted by: LyleH
Date: February 07, 2008 12:28AM
We have had an OMRON HEM-773 for over a year now, and it seems fairly accurate. It has separate memories for 2 people, which is useful for my wife and I.

LyleH
Posted by: artie67
Date: February 07, 2008 12:55AM
Another brand is AND(A&D) Medical. Consumers Union usually has Omron and AND in their listings. I just checked my blood pressure with a Omron HEM-432C and an AND UA-702 (pump bladder leakage repaired by self, you can't just throw it in the trash) and got very close numbers. 121/65 pluse 72 vs. 128/60 pulse 73. Both are good products.
Posted by: space-time
Date: February 07, 2008 05:51AM
davester
... Omron has a pretty good reputation. I definitely do NOT recommend what space-time suggested especially given that the person is not inclined to take their blood pressure. Using a cuff/gauge/stethoscope definitely takes some skill. The electronic ones are no-brainers.

True, my parents take BP to each other. If you have someone to teach you, it's quite easy.
If you try to take your own BP with that analog setup, it's not so easy.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 07, 2008 10:40AM
Despite the good advice about hardware, this gift won't work unless it is accompanied by a round of monitoring. Are you willing to drop by periodically and have a 'my blood pressure is lower than yours, so prove it' contest ?
Posted by: GeneL
Date: February 08, 2008 02:12AM
Mavis and I are using an Omron HEM-637 [www.amazon.com] for a long time now. I've checked it against readings in my doctor's offices a number of times and it has proven very accurate. The tech in my cardiologist's office uses one of these during my nuclear stress tests.

The fact that it has a memory is helpful and I really like its ease of use.

No more to say, except that I highly recommend it.smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 224
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018