advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Where can I find out how much my neighbor's house just sold for ?
Posted by: ItsMeAlison
Date: February 11, 2008 08:59AM
Hi all -

This month, a house across the street from me just sold after having been on the market for almost a year. Being mindful of falling property values, I want to find out how much it was purchased for and i obviously can't just ask the new folks. Is there a site that lists this information ? I live in New Jersey.
I looked online, but every site that offered this kind of info was some kind of pay site and I know this is public information, but i just don't know where to look.

Can anybody help ?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Where can I find out how much my neighbor's house just sold for ?
Posted by: kahuna1342
Date: February 11, 2008 09:01AM
Might take a little bit to apper, but, I have used zillow.com to look at things like that in the past.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but, three rights make a left.
Posted by: Jack D.
Date: February 11, 2008 09:20AM
Real Estate sales are usually printed in the local paper too. Check out your town news on line and see if they list it. Or you can go to the registry of deeds and they can tell you.

edit: I'll bet the realtor that sold it would tell you too. Do you remember the sign out front? Give them a call.

- Jack D.

New tasteless sig coming soon!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2008 09:21AM by Jack D..
Posted by: msglee
Date: February 11, 2008 09:32AM
The price will come up on the Assement and Taxation site, might take a while.

Bowleys Quarters MD
Posted by: kanesa
Date: February 11, 2008 09:34AM
In Madison you can check the city assessor's office online. Gives you sales information, assessments, tax information, etc. Great tool

Otherwise this is considered public information and you should be able to check in person at the city clerk or assessor's offices or whatever is equivalent in your city.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 11, 2008 10:24AM
There is a "limbo" period when the purchase has yet to be recorded, but once it is, the best way to find out is usually a real estate publication. I use Banker & Tradesman around here (Boston).
Posted by: Filliam H. Muffman
Date: February 11, 2008 10:57AM
Sites like Zillow.com might take a couple of months but it can be surprising how quick new sales show up if someone has automated the process. The city/country office will have it if it is not in a local paper in the next 45 days.

In tha 360. MRF User Map
Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: February 11, 2008 12:15PM
Would it be too tacky to walk over, introduce yourself, and ask them? I know you say that you can't, maybe not outright, but after a few minutes of good conversation...

Seems the easiest way to me.

Jeff
Posted by: what4
Date: February 11, 2008 01:38PM
We usually look sales up on the county tax assessor's website. The posting is not instantaneous. And sometimes the sale price is not fully reflected in the amounts shown. But it is pretty good.
Posted by: SKYLANE
Date: February 11, 2008 02:44PM
Call your local Real Estate office. They can find out in a few moments, provided the sale is close through escrow. You might have to put up with a few proving questions from the agent that helps you (i.e., prospecting your motives for finding out to seek out new business).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 103
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018