Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $99.18 ( -1.57 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Block Ebay buyers from Puerto Rico?
Posted by: C(-)ris
Date: February 20, 2008 02:06PM
I just had the unfortunate experience of some guy from Puerto Rico buying one of my ebay auctions. The auction clearly states that I only ship and sell to people in the United States. I also have all international bidders blocked off. Apparently ebay feels that Puerto Rico is part of the United States. The guys confirmed address doesn't jive with UPS or USPS and I can't make a label for it even if I wanted to. Which I don't because I dont' ship outside of the United States of America( which consists of 50 States. No more, no less). I can't find a place to block this bidder anywhere. Is there a way?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Block Ebay buyers from Puerto Rico?
Posted by: trisho.
Date: February 20, 2008 02:50PM
Wow, that's a pickle. I'm not sure how to block him, but can you just not ship it to him and reiterate what you stated in the auction? Also, Puerto Rico is part of the US. I deliberately put in my auctions that I only ship to the lower 48 states, and that's it. If yours said something similar, then you can stand behind that and cancel it.

trisho.
----------------
Official Card-Carrying Mother Earthin' Sl*t.
Posted by: Carnos Jax
Date: February 20, 2008 02:56PM
I can understand your frustration, but technically, U. S. territories are considered a part of the U. S., and that's why people from places such as Guam can even bid on you're auctions. I usually (when I don't want to ship to U. S. territories) state that shipping is for the contiguous U. S. only (that even excludes Hawaii and Alaska).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/20/2008 02:57PM by Carnos Jax.
Date: February 20, 2008 03:16PM
I must have missed when Puerto Rico achieved statehood. Pretty much required to be part of the United STATES. I can't mail it to him because his confirmed address isn't valid according to USPS or UPS otherwise I probably would have just mailed it.
Posted by: rz
Date: February 20, 2008 03:19PM
Sounds like you've been talking to Ginny Brown-Waite. [en.wikipedia.org]
Posted by: Don Kiyoti
Date: February 20, 2008 05:13PM
C(-)ris
I must have missed when Puerto Rico achieved statehood. Pretty much required to be part of the United STATES. I can't mail it to him because his confirmed address isn't valid according to USPS or UPS otherwise I probably would have just mailed it.

Harrumph! Geez, just ask the guy for his address and tell him what you'll charge for shipping.

rz
Sounds like you've been talking to Ginny Brown-Waite. [en.wikipedia.org]

Wow - what a nut case!

[picasaweb.google.com] [www.flickr.com]
Date: February 20, 2008 05:20PM
I can't just ask him for it. It has to be confirmed to be valid for sellers protection from paypal.
Posted by: Grateful11
Date: February 20, 2008 07:22PM
I once got a negative from a guy in PR because I couldn't ship a big unassembled RC
airplane to him for $6.00 like Tower Hobbies could ship them to him for. The absolute least
was like $15. He just decided to leave a negative and he got one back for being an idiot. I wish I could block certain states.

Grateful11
Posted by: MacMagus
Date: February 20, 2008 09:35PM
C(-)ris

Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens with all of the rights and privileges thereof, governed by the supervening authority of the U.S. Constitution. The same first class postage gets an envelope to PR as it would to NY or CA.

Don't blame the bidder.

You screwed up.

You now have the choice of requesting a mutual withdrawal or living up to the bargain that you entered into with what appears to be a good faith purchaser.
Posted by: Janit
Date: February 21, 2008 01:03AM
If your buyer lives in Puerto Rico, then it is theoretically possible for him to have a confirmed address that will be consistent with the PayPal seller protection policy, and that address should be be valid for USPS postage. It will have a USPS zip code etc. You should also be able to use delivery confirmation to prove delivery.

What is the problem with his address that you believe it is not valid for USPS? If PayPal lists it as a confirmed address, I am surprised that it would not be a valid USPS address. What happens if you try to print a USPS mailing label through PayPal?

The USPS website list of "State Abbreviations" includes several areas that are technically not "states:" Armed Forces Europe (AE), Puerto Rico (PR) etc. I have used Priority Mail to Guam (GU) without any problems.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/21/2008 01:05AM by Janit.
Date: February 21, 2008 03:46PM
It isn't recognizing the street part of the address. I am trying to print the label out of USPS on paypal. If I split his address into 2 lines it takes it, but then says it is no longer confirmed. I've tried to explain this to the buyer but he just doesn't get it. He repaid again and just put a new address in the notes field and left the confirmed address the same.

Frankly, the PITA that this transaction is causing is the whole reason I don't ship out of the US.
Posted by: overstock_auto
Date: January 18, 2011 08:12AM
Just an update on this. I found out how to block Puerto Rico. We have had so much trouble with that island from buyers demanding we "honor" our quoted shipping price even though it clearly states in all of our auctions that shipping prices are only to the lower 48 states.

So if you go to your My Ebay
> Hover over Account
> a drop down menu will appear
> select "Site Preferences"
> click Show next to "Shipping Preferences"
> click Edit next to "Exclude shipping locations from your listings"
> select "US Protectorates" includes Puerto Rico, Guam, Virgin Islands, etc...
> select "Apply to all current live listings"
> click "Apply" button

There it is, now they are blocked from all your live listings.
Posted by: gmnerual
Date: August 23, 2011 11:57AM
MacMagus
C(-)ris

Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens with all of the rights and privileges thereof, governed by the supervening authority of the U.S. Constitution. The same first class postage gets an envelope to PR as it would to NY or CA.

Don't blame the bidder.

You screwed up.

You now have the choice of requesting a mutual withdrawal or living up to the bargain that you entered into with what appears to be a good faith purchaser.

Actually, while your half correct, the seller still more than likely did not screw up. I found out that some people in Puerto Rico are changing their addresses to say United States at the bottom. While Puerto Rico is a US Territory and they have all the rights..blah blah...they still have to list their address as being Puerto Rico not United States. If they list their address as being part of the UNITED STATES there is usually an issue with that at the post offices. I just had that problem with a buyer and have been in contact back and forth with the post office because they sent it somewhere in the United States on accident (and yes I have a tracking number) They claim it says on their computer system that it was sent back from that location and is now on it's way. Sounds simple and stupid, I know. But that's what I was told. I have no problem shipping internationally but because of this issue now the buyer still hasn't received his item and the post office hasn't scanned the item since the 5th of this month!
Posted by: Redroses Store
Date: December 06, 2011 12:14PM
Is there a reason why you couldn't use "Priority Flat Rate boxes" they ship all over the world for one flat rate...I understand blocking international cus of all the money exchange rates etc, but if its still US money why should it matter if it's Puerto Rico, Hawaii or Alaska?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login