advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Home Improvement: Rain Gutter Installation
Posted by: kap
Date: February 23, 2008 01:49PM
Two story Victorian home. How hard will it be? If professional work is strongly recommended, who and how much will we be looking at?We are in So. CA rain doesn't come easy but this year we have been blessed or curse? There is a lit' stream beneath our crawl space. TiA

SoCal for now.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2008 01:54PM by kap.
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Home Improvement: Rain Gutter Installation
Posted by: Mike Johnson
Date: February 23, 2008 03:30PM
The nice thing about hiring a pro is they can extrude one piece gutters, with no seams. They have a big roll of aluminum on a truck, and they custom make each piece to the right length. One of my neighbors paid $10/foot about a year ago.

If you do it yourself, you have to attach pieces together, and those seams can fail. And it's kind of a pain, getting the angles just right. And climbing up on a ladder to install 12 foot sections of gutter on a second story is something I'd rather not do.
Posted by: AlphaDog
Date: February 23, 2008 03:40PM
Mike Johnson
The nice thing about hiring a pro is they can extrude one piece gutters, with no seams. They have a big roll of aluminum on a truck, and they custom make each piece to the right length. One of my neighbors paid $10/foot about a year ago.

If you do it yourself, you have to attach pieces together, and those seams can fail. And it's kind of a pain, getting the angles just right. And climbing up on a ladder to install 12 foot sections of gutter on a second story is something I'd rather not do.

My husband installed gutters on one of our houses, which was a one story rambler. He said he'd never do it again. One of the things you don't think about is the importance of the slope toward the down spouts. If you get it wrong, the water winds up just sitting there and not doing the job as efficiently as it should. Plus, as Mike pointed out, you really want seamless gutters.
Posted by: mattkime
Date: February 23, 2008 04:18PM
I'm a do it yourself kind of person but pay someone to do it for the reasons listed above. further, a poor installation can cause water damage. Its just not worth the risk.

Date: February 23, 2008 07:40PM
I shall leave it to the pros then. Any recommendation on any particular company or an independent expert? And what I should look out for?

SoCal for now.
Posted by: Yoyodyne ArtWorks
Date: February 23, 2008 09:36PM
I would avoid the national franchise companies like Gutter Helmet, Leaf Guard and the like. Maybe check out Angie's List and look for a local independent guy with a good rep.
Date: February 23, 2008 09:38PM
Yoyodyne ArtWorks
I would avoid the national franchise companies like Gutter Helmet, Leaf Guard and the like. Maybe check out Angie's List and look for a local independent guy with a good rep.[/quote

Good idea! I am thinking of going to a local independent hardware store to get referral.

SoCal for now.
Posted by: artie67
Date: February 24, 2008 12:06AM
Go with the pros, long runs with no seams is a plus. I'm checking out locally here in socal after the rains. I have to repair all the rotten rafter ends and will have seamless gutters done by the pros for next season.
Posted by: wolfcry911
Date: February 24, 2008 07:19AM
just for the record, anyone can purchase a full length custom made gutter. There are plenty of companies that will come to your house and form it on site - usually for contractors but they'll do it for anyone. Setting the pitch is very easy and should not deter you from doing it. The one reason I'd recommend a pro in this situation is the height. Two stories up is not the place to be learning anything.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 193
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018