advertisement
Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Pine countertop?
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: February 23, 2008 06:08PM
Trying to narrow my options for a minor kitchen makeover.
My cabinets are walnut (look like veneer but they're not).
My heart is set in a white enameled cast-iron sink.
I saw such an arrangement on a Kohler box today, wich I had the picture.
The countertop was some sort of solid wood, distressed.

I figure I could enlist a neighbor who builds furniture, grab a few "appearance" grade 2x12's, and DIY-it.
Am I asking for some sort of major trouble? Am I guaranteed warpage beyond usefulness?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Pine countertop?
Posted by: rgG
Date: February 23, 2008 06:11PM
Pine is a very soft wood, so I would think that it would not be the best choice for a countertop unless it is just for looks and won't really be used for food prep that much.

Roswell, GA (Atlanta suburb)
Posted by: aquilles10
Date: February 23, 2008 06:39PM
I've never, ever seen a wood countertop made with pine. It's always teak, mahogany, walnut or beech. Those are much harder woods than pine and even they have problems if they are not maintained regularly or properly.
Posted by: Stephanie
Date: February 23, 2008 06:44PM
just adding a "yup, I agree" to what they've said (points above). Stay away from pine for such uses.
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: February 23, 2008 06:51PM
My brother had a pine desk when we were kids. By the time he went to college it had more indentions than Manuel Noriega.
Posted by: JoeBob
Date: February 23, 2008 07:23PM
The only exception that I could see to the pine dilemna is "heart pine"
Much harder than white or yellow pine, but much more expensive.

Probably best to stick with a more traditional wood.
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: February 23, 2008 07:56PM
I think white oak is very hard and repels water a little and is reasonably priced.
Posted by: nwyaker
Date: February 23, 2008 08:28PM
White oak will turn black with water contact over time.
Posted by: artie67
Date: February 23, 2008 08:41PM
Here's a few choices. IKEA has beech countertops in 1 1/8 and 1 5/8 thickness. Choice of lengths, up to 96 inches. They sell a sealer that is not as good as "Good Stuff". sorry the can is next door. A quart is good for a life time. We did two kitchens and still have some left. It's made by the one of the major butcher block mfg. If IKEA is not nearby and the shipping is a problem, I would suggest finding a wood supplier that can get you maple or oak tops from their suppliers. Questions? dale
Posted by: andypie48
Date: February 23, 2008 09:37PM
Southern Yellow or Loblolly pine gets harder and harder with age until it will break a jigsaw blade. Don't know how it is when wet.

Oak and maple don't handle water very well.

Cypress handles water well, if you can find it.

As long as you have a thick enough coat of polyurethane, water shouldn't matter, unless you have kids that will use the countertop for a cutting board.
Posted by: Black Landlord
Date: February 23, 2008 11:13PM
Thanks to all.
I would give it a healthy coat of polyurethane, of course. I do want it to get "distressed" over time. It can always be sanded and refinished, no?
Wish I could find that danged picture. Good reminder about Oak turning black when wet.
I did see the wood c/t's on the Ikea site but I'll look again. The look of beech is a bit too clean for my application.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 24, 2008 12:02AM
Pine is fine, but
Wicker is quicker......
Posted by: davester
Date: February 24, 2008 01:47AM
I don't think I'd want to use polyurethane if I was going to prepare food on it, both because it'll get damaged easily (from cutting implements, hot objects, and because while it is curing it will impart nasty chemicals to the food. In addition, bare wood will get damaged by metal objects (i.e. a food can set on the counter for a day will likely cause an unremovable ring that goes deep into the wood) and food stains that won't come out. IMHO, the only part of a kitchen countertop that should be wood is the cutting board. I've lived with two kitchens that had enormous cutting boards taking up about 1/4 the counterspace and they were fantastic workspaces for food preparation (though subject to the problems listed above). I wouldn't be without one again. The rest of the countertop should be tile or stone because it's relatively durable and impervious (again IMHO).

"In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion." (1987) -- Carl Sagan
Posted by: michael_s
Date: February 24, 2008 08:08AM
Lumber Liquidators also sells pre-made butcher block tops.
Just bought one and cut it into pieces and glued it back together to fit the custom shape of one of out countertops. As for finishes, butcher block oil is re-branded mineral oil with a higher price tag. If you want to use oil, save some money and buy food grade mineral oil at the local drugstore.
I used salad bowl finish. Food grade non toxic when dry. Rubs on, soaks in so it doesn't create a layer of coating above the wood to be damaged or allow moisture to soak in.
Posted by: h'
Date: February 24, 2008 12:25PM
Hmm, cool recommendation; there's a store about 7 miles from me- all I see is flooring on their site though-- should I assume there's more at the store than on the site?
Thx . . .
Posted by: h'
Date: February 24, 2008 12:26PM
[www.lumberliquidators.com]

I suffer from the same sensitivity that you do. A few nuggets of wisdom were shared with me and I'm "trying" to incorporate them into my life. First, remember that nobody can hurt your feelings unless you let them. You can always reject what is being forced on you emotionally.
Second, nothing changes unless you change it. If you don't want the behavior to be repeated then you need to take action. Otherwise the kid has learned that his behavior is the way to get things done, because everyone lets him get away with it.
In the meantime I sympathize because I've been there.
-beerman
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 185
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018