Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Need help finding cabinet hinge
Posted by: volcs0
Date: February 27, 2008 08:09AM
The hinge on one of our cabinets broke.

I googled around for cabinet hinges, and the selection is a bit overwhelming.

I will keep looking - can someone here help zero in on it more quickly? I don't know if it matters, but this is part of a door on a lazy susan in an under-counter cabinet.

Thanks.

More pics:

[www.smugmug.com]
[www.smugmug.com]
[www.smugmug.com]
[www.smugmug.com]
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Need help finding cabinet hinge
Posted by: lafinfil
Date: February 27, 2008 08:14AM
Search for a European hinge or a cup hinge

Posted by: papercup
Date: February 27, 2008 08:15AM
That hinge type is called "European Cabinet Hinge"

Home Depot & Lowes will carry a limited supply, I don't know if they will have an inside corner hinge.

Try your local woodworker store, or custom cabinet maker if you want it local.

[www.rockler.com]
Posted by: olnacl
Date: February 27, 2008 08:16AM
I looked for a wholesale cabinet maker supplier when I needed a couple for 25 year old kitchen cabinets here in S FL. None were available at the usual Home Depot/Lowes sources, but I brought them a sample and they were able to pull functional replacements right off the shelf.

Oops, Papercup beat me to it - that's what I get for proof reading.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2008 08:18AM by olnacl.
Date: February 27, 2008 08:17AM
You guys are great - and fast.

Thanks.
Posted by: dmann
Date: February 27, 2008 09:32AM
Don't forget about Clark and Barlow hardware. They have all sorts of nifty stuff-
[www.clarkandbarlow.com]

They're located in Chicago but ship everywhere IIRC.

DM
Date: February 27, 2008 09:41AM
dmann
Don't forget about Clark and Barlow hardware. They have all sorts of nifty stuff-
[www.clarkandbarlow.com]

They're located in Chicago but ship everywhere IIRC.

DM

That's not far from me - maybe I'll head up there this weekend. Thanks.
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: February 27, 2008 10:17AM
Do this:

Remove the door from the cabinet with the broken hinge and the good hinge attached.

Find your local Mom & Pop Hardware store (They are increasingly rare, but I worship them).

Walk in, the cowbell attached to the door will clank.

Say hello to the store cat or dog.

Wander around looking bemused, and Mom or Pop or one of their kids will come by, look at the hinge, and drag you off to a rack of 80 year old wooden drawers. They'll pull the drawer, hand you your hinge, and then take your money. If you're hesitant, they'll pull out a screwdriver from their apron and put it on for you.

You'll pay about 2-5% more than at a big box store, but you'll experience a vanishing slice of Americana, when the customer was king and service was everyone's watchword.
Posted by: billb
Date: February 27, 2008 10:19AM
Date: February 27, 2008 11:06AM
cbelt3
Do this:

Remove the door from the cabinet with the broken hinge and the good hinge attached.

Find your local Mom & Pop Hardware store (They are increasingly rare, but I worship them).

Walk in, the cowbell attached to the door will clank.

Say hello to the store cat or dog.

Wander around looking bemused, and Mom or Pop or one of their kids will come by, look at the hinge, and drag you off to a rack of 80 year old wooden drawers. They'll pull the drawer, hand you your hinge, and then take your money. If you're hesitant, they'll pull out a screwdriver from their apron and put it on for you.

You'll pay about 2-5% more than at a big box store, but you'll experience a vanishing slice of Americana, when the customer was king and service was everyone's watchword.

I live in Hyde Park (Chicago) - and there aren't too many mom and pop anythings around here any more, unless liquor stores count. I might drive somewhere with it this weekend though, and see what I can find. I have the door off already.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2008 11:06AM by volcs0.
Posted by: artie67
Date: February 27, 2008 05:16PM
Do you know the brand?The #'s look like those Blum uses. It is also quite old. Most hinges these days are stamped not cast. It's called a "pie-cut corner hinge" after the shape of the susan tray inside the cabinet. I seem to remember that Mepla had something like it in size. Guys in the shop suggest checking Cabinetparts.com. I remodel my kitchen recently (two lazy susans) and used Blum's. The don't look anything like yours though. Also, you might call the local cabinet shops(we're in socal,sorry) and get lucky. I have a box of "oldies" but not this one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 132
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018