Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $109.41 ( +2.67 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Best OTC Cough Supressant/Expectorant??
Posted by: prof
Date: February 29, 2008 12:14PM
I'm looking for the most powerful over the counter cough suppressant/expectorant
to rid me of this unholy chest cold or flu. I need to be able to sleep thru just one
night. Please help!!!
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Best OTC Cough Supressant/Expectorant??
Posted by: olnacl
Date: February 29, 2008 12:16PM
AlkaSeltzer mucus something or other seems to work best for me. Nothing gets rid of the problem but that seems to minimize it and I think I've tried everything on the market at one time or another. YMMV, of course

Posted by: kj4btkljv
Date: February 29, 2008 12:34PM
How long have you had these symptoms? Anything longer than 5-7 days, and it's time to go to the doctor. This stuff easily turns into, and I've been there, bronchitis, and respiratory infections. If you've got yellow/green gunk coming out of your lungs, it's time to get help.

Jeff
Posted by: Paul F.
Date: February 29, 2008 12:35PM
Delsym works great for me... but it's spendy.

NyQuil doesn't ease the symptoms so much... but it does knock you unconscious so you don't care.

Paul F.
-----
A sword never kills anybody; it is a tool in the killer's hand. - Lucius Annaeus Seneca c. 5 BC - 65 AD
----
Good is the enemy of Excellent. Talent is not necessary for Excellence.
Persistence is necessary for Excellence. And Persistence is a Decision.

--

--

--
Eureka, CA
Posted by: pinkoos
Date: February 29, 2008 12:36PM
Mucinex

[www.mucinex.com] (warning, link opens up to a page with video/audio)

Generic (ie, cheaper) versions available.

Posted by: Robert M
Date: February 29, 2008 12:43PM
Prof,

Most of them have the same primary ingredients. But, the only one that makes a difference for me despite that is Buckley's Cough Mixture. The combination of the usual cough stuff with the other ingredients makes the difference.

That said, be careful because a cough could be a sign of an allergy related cough, an upper respiratory infection, that can turn into Bronchitis or worse. Or, it could be a sign of nasty post nasal drip or the beginnings of s sinus infection. It all depends on your other symptoms.

Robert
Posted by: olnacl
Date: February 29, 2008 12:44PM
pinkoos
Mucinex

[www.mucinex.com] (warning, link opens up to a page with video/audio)

Generic (ie, cheaper) versions available.

Tried that and the Alky works better for me, but, as always YMMV.

Posted by: prof
Date: February 29, 2008 01:09PM
Tried Mucinex to no avail. I thought for sure that hard hatted phlegm ball would have
chased this out of my system by now. I've had 3 restless nights, where just when I
was about to doze off I start coughing. It's absolutely maddening! If I can't get some sleep this weekend I'll have to go to the Dr on Mon. Thanks for all the suggestions (cough, cough,cough)
Posted by: Acer
Date: February 29, 2008 01:35PM
Whiskey and honey.
Posted by: mrbigstuff
Date: February 29, 2008 01:37PM
ah, the only way to get help during the night is with a narcotic-containing cough syrup, like hydrocodone. Delsym is the other OTC medication that is the latest fashion for coughs, at least according to my theories on my perennial winter cough that lasts 2-3 months. but, hydrocodone is the only thing that knocks it down for me. do NOT take more than the recommended dosage though.
Posted by: The UnDoug
Date: February 29, 2008 01:48PM
When I need an expectorant, I just....

Gag me with a spoon.

Like...oh magosh!
Posted by: Don C
Date: February 29, 2008 01:51PM
In my seemingly annual Down to the Toes cold, there is always one or two nights that NOTHING comes close to helping. I usually bundle up in as much flannel as i can get around me and sweat it out. Other than those nights, I have liked the Walgreen version of NyQuil which goes to work quickly at lets me get to sleep. Doesn't necessarily last the whole night but it gets me started.

My wife, on the other hand cannot get to sleep at all after taking the stuff. Guess that's one more example of opposites attracting, maybe.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 29, 2008 04:16PM
OTC cough suppressants with dextromathorphan (No freakin' clue about the true spelling, YOU google it) are the only ones that work for me. Sucrets has lozenges with it, and they travel well to work in a pocket, vs dragging around a bottle and spoon.
Posted by: Craig
Date: February 29, 2008 05:24PM
expectorant: guaifenesin and lots of water

cough suppressent: small amounts of schedule V codeine preparations can be dispensed from behind the counter without a prescription in many locales. Call your pharmacist and ask. Otherwise, you are stuck with OTC DXM or will have to see a Dr. for the good stuff- hydrocodone.

Craig
Posted by: decocritter
Date: February 29, 2008 05:28PM
Robitussin used to be pretty good. Sometimes several long hot showers a day with the bathroom closed up can loosen everything (and get you coughing the junk up)...add some peppermint/eucalyptus oil to the shower.

Or take a hot bath in the bath therapy oil for colds and flu and add epsom salts. It will open the sinuses and make the body tired and relaxed..enough for you to sleep a few hours. While in the hot bath, drink some ginger or mint hot tea.

It is hard to talk men into this...but it really helps.

Just go straight to the bed after and sleep.

Keep some advil in the system for general aches.

There is evidence that real chicken soup breaks up congestion, Can't hurt.
Posted by: Racer X
Date: February 29, 2008 06:16PM
deco, Robitussin is a brand name with many formulations. That's like saying if you want to drive fast, you need to buy one of the Chevys. Um, which one?
Posted by: decocritter
Date: February 29, 2008 07:50PM
One with an expectorant and once that suits his symptoms.
Posted by: vicrock
Date: February 29, 2008 09:23PM
There was a study done some years ago - all the pricey cough syrups against one homemade of equal parts honey, lemon juice and some form of alcohol - vodka, whiskey, rum, etc.

The homemade was equal to the store bought in performance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 84
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014