advertisement
Deals | News | Forums

The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: $111.78 ( -0.87 )

*Cached every 60 seconds. For live updating, Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
Is this unscratchable bone-deep itching neuropathy or something else?
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 04, 2008 06:44PM
I have an itch deep inside my foot that can't be scratched. It's like it's bone-deep.The doctor says it's neuropathy from diabetes, but I have had this since I was a kid before I had diabetes. Neurontin used to help, but now it doesn't touch it.

It's one of the worst feelings I have ever had. There is no relief, although I have to try. I scratch it with a hair brush and stand on the carpet and spin around on one leg.

It usually comes on after eating food with lots of additives (croutons, salad dressing, etc.) or if I wake up early in the morning. It usually happens in my feet and sometimes in my arm or leg or even my chin.

Has anyone had experience with this?
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: Is this unscratchable bone-deep itching neuropathy or something else?
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 04, 2008 07:21PM
it's a toomah
Posted by: decocritter
Date: March 04, 2008 07:24PM
It reminds me of the itch of eczema or psoriasis. Insane, and during a bad flare-up nothing helps. Warm water while usually soothing, even itches.

When I sprained my ankle it itched on the bone. Weird itch.
Posted by: Dick Moore
Date: March 04, 2008 07:24PM
Yes, and for me (also a Type I diabetic), it is strongly related to salt intake. So I've cut way back on salt. It is indeed neuropathy, and if neurontin can't fix it, then you may have to have part of your brain excised......which they won't, in all likelihood, do.

What it is, man, a low-down and funky feelin'
Posted by: h'
Date: March 04, 2008 07:27PM
I have experienced this. Through my journey with spinal problems I've come to understand itching as just another notch on the continuum between normal sensation, burning, tingling, and complete numbness. Most often I believe it is what you first feel when a nerve that's barely been functioning comes back to life.
Definitely a problem in the wiring, though. Could there be something else up with your spine? A neck injury as a kid, maybe?
Posted by: cbelt3
Date: March 04, 2008 07:27PM
gout variant ? Whatever it is, I sympathize. Don't give in to temptation and try to dig it out- you'll damage yourself.
Date: March 04, 2008 07:28PM
I should also add I spent a year or two on Nuerontin.
Keep that stuff out of your system if you can. The relief is not worth the loss of cognitive function.
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 04, 2008 08:00PM
I thought about this again -- and given your Rx success in past, and my own headaches
with the ol' disc material jabbing into the nerve trunk, it made me wonder.....

Is a gabapentin adjustment in dosage a fair thing to consider? How has your reaction to
it been during previous/current use, vs. the long list of potential issues that have
been reported?

There's such a wide range of use for it -- and if cognitive areas are unaffected by
this compound, then there may be benefit for you. I, seriously, refused to consider it
until my L4/L5 went beyond the bounds of oxycodone to deal with intense periods
of pain -- and although it was part of an umbrella treatment, and difficult for me to say
if it helped or not, I certainly don't fear it like I once did -- despite the list of significant
possible side effect/annoyances.

I might have had fatigue, which is most certainly dose dependent, but during those
periods, I wasn't doing much anyway -- because I needed to be flat. I certainly didn't
have any issues with neuro-psych potentiation (except for that one day in the bell
tower with the M1).

Does anything with an eye on circulatory enhancement help?? Just wondering if
you are experiencing any peripheral effects of interaction via other Rx - possible
channel blocking and membrane polarization? Not direct on Na/K - but indirect, the
result of other cardiac compounds or even a diuretic?

Or perhaps - if some experimental nerve conduction / blocking (again, polarization/hyperpolarization) might reveal what one key to remission.....
Date: March 04, 2008 11:03PM
In spiney circles we refer to "Neurontin Fog".
The phenomenon can be described such-- you don't realize you're under the spell, but when you finally get off everyone and their dog says "yeah, I noticed you weren't right, but I didn't want to say anything . . ."
I knew it was time to quit when I lost my wallet, and couldn't even think back to where I'd been in what sequence to retrace my steps; the good part was, I was too mellow to care.
And that was on a very low dose-- 300 3x/day I think. Many people float around on 2400 mg/day or more.
I tried reducing the dose to almost nothing (100 3x/day) but it messed with my mood too badly.
Jimmypoo
I thought about this again -- and given your Rx success in past, and my own headaches
with the ol' disc material jabbing into the nerve trunk, it made me wonder.....

Is a gabapentin adjustment in dosage a fair thing to consider? How has your reaction to
it been during previous/current use, vs. the long list of potential issues that have
been reported?

There's such a wide range of use for it -- and if cognitive areas are unaffected by
this compound, then there may be benefit for you. I, seriously, refused to consider it
until my L4/L5 went beyond the bounds of oxycodone to deal with intense periods
of pain -- and although it was part of an umbrella treatment, and difficult for me to say
if it helped or not, I certainly don't fear it like I once did -- despite the list of significant
possible side effect/annoyances.

I might have had fatigue, which is most certainly dose dependent, but during those
periods, I wasn't doing much anyway -- because I needed to be flat. I certainly didn't
have any issues with neuro-psych potentiation (except for that one day in the bell
tower with the M1).

Does anything with an eye on circulatory enhancement help?? Just wondering if
you are experiencing any peripheral effects of interaction via other Rx - possible
channel blocking and membrane polarization? Not direct on Na/K - but indirect, the
result of other cardiac compounds or even a diuretic?

Or perhaps - if some experimental nerve conduction / blocking (again, polarization/hyperpolarization) might reveal what one key to remission.....
Posted by: Dennis S
Date: March 05, 2008 10:40AM
I took 2 Neurontin and concked out for 15 hours. I feel a little foggy but also relaxed, but I wouldn't want to stay in this condition. So far, I only take the Neurontin about 2 o3 times amonth and just one pill.

Also, peanut butter causes mild episodes of this itching. And, I can set it off if I, say, sit on a concrete surface and hang my legs over where the corner of the concrete presses on the backside of my thighs. Or, if pressure is put on my arm in a certain place.

I have some strange neuro things going on that are in the area of Parkinson's and maybe epilepsy I will post about someday. I find better information on this site when the right people post than from doctors.
Posted by: ladyblueeyes08
Date: September 24, 2012 09:49PM
OMG. You don't know how happy I was to find your post regarding that irritating deep itching in my foot. I thought that I was the only one that experiences this. I've had it approximately six or seven years. My family and I are afraid that I'm going to cause injury to myself because I try using the sharpest objects without any help. I've been told it's caused by Neuropathy. I take Neurontin without any help and I wear Lidocaine patches on my foot without relief. I have a doctor appointment in a couple of days and I'm going to ask the question of whether there is some sort of surgery that can cut the nerve that's causing all of this. I feel like I'm going to go out of my mind from this. Although it helps me out to know it's not all in my head. If you can find something that reduces or eliminates this problem, please contact me.
Posted by: mskipwith
Date: January 31, 2013 05:56PM
I also have this issue, and it just arose about 4 months ago and came back yesterday. Although I also see where my issue that brings this deep itch problem. I want to post here so that I can share some of the things that worked today and in the past. I am a big guy, while I am slightly muscular, I am considered overweight. I could lose at least 35 lbs. Secondly, I had surgery on my right more than 20 years ago and it is fused. I have very little feeling along the right side of my right foot. And very little feeling in my toes. With my right foot being fused, I have very little flexibility in my foot. It is just there to stand on. About 4 months ago I decided to commute to work via public transoportation. This meant I would have to walk about a 1/2 mile to my office from where the bus dropped me off. I did this for the first few weeks. Then one day I get off the bus and this intense itch came to the bottom of my foot. It was so intense that i had to kick my shoe off right in the middle of the sidewalk and scratch it. And that made it worse. Simply put I was basicly stopped there on the sidewalk for 30 minutes before I could move on. That was a very bad day at work, as the intense itch kept comeing back almost everytime i even slightly moved my foot. The ithc feeling was went from the left side near my arch all the way up to my big toe. It took me a long time to get home that day.

to make a long story short, the itch only would start everyday when i got off the bus and last on and off throughout the day. Then one day i decide to wear some slip on shoes that are flat and more like a rubber slipper to work and bring my dress shoes with me for meetings. Just so happens that when i got off the bus that day, there was no itch. I found out what my issue was. All of my dress shoes are just too tight on feet, and the lack of blood circulation to my whole foot probably was sending the damaged nerves in my foot to fire off with that terrible itch feeling. So one thing I want everyone to think about is how you wear your shoes and how much blood is getting to your foot. Also I had a habit of tieing my shoes really tight. I have done that since I was kid. Today was fairly coomforting at work. Yesterday was a disaster...ya want to know why? I began to start wearing those shoes again and tied them really tight, on top of that I started working out for an hour everyday since this past Christmas and I tied my tennis shoes very tight also. While I still feel a slight itch in my foot the intensity has subsided a little bit. I dont doubt though that I will have more extreme episodes for a few more days before this goes away. Because I think it going to take time to go back to normal. But I sense that I need to buy all different shoes. Also if you are overweight and you have this issue, I suggest you start losing weight.

Tight Shoes
Tight Shoes
Tight Shoes

And dont scratch much...it really is not an itch....its a simulated itch.
Posted by: chambm
Date: April 20, 2013 07:53PM
I have this same problem with the deep bone-like itch and a couple years ago found a forum like this one and one guy said " this may sound crazy but it will work 100%." It's not a cure, but if you soak your feet in hot hot water, as hot as you can stand it for just 15 min. you'll get total relief for hours! I can usually get thru the entire night if I soak my feet just before going to sleep... Just try it people, what do you have to loose. It's free and totally effective. I hope this brings relief to who ever might read this.
Posted by: JulyChan
Date: September 13, 2013 11:39AM
I also have the same problem. My bones in my left arm, left leg and left stomach itch and when it happens, i apply pressure to the affected bone or i let someone stand on my left leg because pressure from punching wont do, the itching requires more of a person's weight. As for the itching stomach, i massage it. Pls anyone tell me if its neuropathy? Bcuz i read that neuropathy actually requires pain. But i dont experience pain, only a skin-deep internal bone itching. Someone pls enlighten me. Thanks.
Posted by: Cgordon
Date: December 04, 2013 02:07AM
OK, so I have this too.

I do not have diabetes of any type, but have not been examined in the last two years. I am going next week to check my blood sugar.

I am 57, and have had this for about 4 years. Itching starts deep in the sole of my foot and is immune to any kind of scratching. I also stand on the carpet and spin, scrape the soul of my foot on a sharp edge or stair, or use a hairbrush. All with little relief. Its incredibly insane deep powerful itching. Like nothing I've ever felt before. I can barely think at all when it is occuring. I get it when I'm nervous or stressed out, or for no particular reason, or believe it or not, immediately after sex (who knows!). It lasts about 20 minutes. I only get it once every week or two. Its baffling.

I have found, at least for myself, an immediate source of relief. If I take a vibrator (any type at all), and press it into the soul of my foot. The itching immediately stops. I believe that the intense vibration crowds the nerve endings too much information and they simply stop transmitting the false itching sensation. Keep in mind that this is not really an itch, its definitely some kind of psychological or deep nerve problem. My feet and the foot skin are totally healthy. I have no idea what this is!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 81
Record Number of Users: 52 on November 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 322 on December 17, 2014