The Forum is sponsored by 

AAPL stock: Click Here

You are currently viewing the Tips and Deals forum
VHS to DVD -- using a Mac.....
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 05, 2008 04:04PM
Forget the Presidian thing for now....

I'm switching a 71-year-old to Mac.

He has lots of VHS tapes he's converting to optical disks. On his dead pc, he had a dedicated VHS tape player that connected to a little piece of hardware which then connected to the computer via USB. (Some video Griffin thing??)

Associated PC software then put the file on the CD and burned it. Is there any hardware/software out there for doing this on Mac OS? I'm thinking --- what.... something to get it into the machine, use QT to save it, and then just drag it to Toast 8?

My thought is that there MUST be simple some software/hardware that will do this, once the signal is there, or there is hardware that would connect DIRECT to the computer via FW so one could use, perhaps....... iDVD instead of Toast 8?

Using Boot Camp would be unnecessarily complicated for him and would undermine all of my efforts to convert him to the Mac.

WHAT SAY YOU???
Options:  Reply • Quote
Re: VHS to DVD -- using a Mac.....
Posted by: Chupa Chupa
Date: March 05, 2008 04:22PM
If he has a lot of VHS tapes wouldn't the path of least resistance be to just buy a VHS/DVD-R dual deck. I think they are about $160 or so at Amazon.
Posted by: incognegro
Date: March 05, 2008 04:23PM
ElGato EyeTV?
[www.newegg.com]
[faq.elgato.com]

"Some EyeTV products, like EyeTV 250 and 250 Plus, are able to take the output of a VCR, and bring the video into your Mac, for viewing and/or recording. These products have an encoding chip inside, to maximize encoding quality and efficiency. A product like EyeTV Hybrid does not have an encoding chip, and thus would offer lesser encoding quality. EyeTV Hybrid cannot use the VHS Assistant, but you can use Manual Recording for that product."

Posted by: tenders
Date: March 05, 2008 04:25PM
eyeTV Hybrid and eyeTV250 will do this pretty easily with Toast. Do the recording in the eyeTV software, send to Toast, click Burn.

Might be a bit more complicated if the VHS tapes have Macrovision protection.

[www.elgato.com]

Also says it will work with iDVD but I haven't done this myself:
[www.elgato.com]

He may already have the PC equivalent of Hybrid; it's possible it will work with just the eyeTV software, which is available separately from the hardware if necessary.

I'm an amateur at this; Rusty is the eyeTV whiz around here.

Edit: VHS is not very high quality to start with. The difference in quality between the Hybrid (software encoding) and the 250 (hardware encoding) may not be noticeable, or worth the price differential.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2008 04:27PM by tenders.
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 05, 2008 04:26PM
A piece of hardware that's recognized by elgato's EyeTV software would do the trick (and more.)

Such as the "eyeTV 250 plus" or one of the older boxes they used to sell, or a Plextor ConvertX 402 (some versions bundled with EyeTV software, some not.)
Posted by: deckeda
Date: March 05, 2008 04:30PM
$50 A/R: [www.newegg.com]

However he'll then need to buy EyeTV software ($80) separately if he wants to use it on Mac.
Posted by: voodoopenguin
Date: March 05, 2008 04:53PM
I've used a Formac Studio for a few years now. It ignores any copy protection and goes straight into iMovie for editing.

That said if it's just TV recordings the best bet is what Chupa said, get a DVD recorder and link the VCR to it or an all in one VCR/DVD recorder. I use a DVD recorder with a HD which allows quite a bit of editing before burning the final DVD.

Posted by: Panopticon
Date: March 05, 2008 04:55PM
deckeda
$50 A/R: [www.newegg.com]
However he'll then need to buy EyeTV software ($80) separately if he wants to use it on Mac.
PLEXTOR ConvertX PX-TV402U

The Mac package (same hardware) with EyeTV 3 is $70 more [www.newegg.com]
Has the same $80 MIR.

TV402U's have S-Video input, great for VHS conversion.
Posted by: SteveO
Date: March 05, 2008 05:07PM
If he has a camcorder, even one that's a few years old, I want to say he can run the vcr through the camcorder, record the signal onto the camcorder, then import it into iMovie and burn to DVD. I think this is what I did last spring/ summer. I believe I posted a similar question around that time if you feel like STF for "SteveO dvd vcr vhs" type of words. Oh heck, here you go, fwiw:

[forums.macresource.com]

and a somewhat related post:
[forums.macresource.com]
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 05, 2008 05:09PM
I use an old Sony DVMCA-DA1 miniDV hardware converter box. been working great for about a decade.
Posted by: Harbourmaster
Date: March 05, 2008 05:27PM
How about lets start with the hardware he already has. What EXACTLY is the "connected to a little piece of hardware which then connected to the computer via USB. (Some video Griffin thing??)" If indeed it is something from Griffin then there may be a way to use it with a Mac and nothing new needs to be purchased.

Aloha, Ken

“I have developed significant attachments to several members even though I wouldn't recognize them if I sat next to one on a park bench. I'm often tempted when in an airport to walk around, hollering "The Løpe", to see if anyone other than the Homeland Security people will acknowledge me. ” - The Løpe
Posted by: artie67
Date: March 05, 2008 07:45PM
Commerical encoded or off the tv? Addressing "off the air", we had a collection of vhs tapes (600) from mostly PBS, A&E, and Bravo. This was when their content was the best on TV. I am transfering them using a Panasonic DMR-E75V. Rock solid and easy to use. Consumer Reports like the current Panasonics and Samsungs. Refurbdepot has the third rated Samsung for $100. The second rated Panasonic for $160. The Panasonic has an atsc tuner. Both have progressive scan. He could see his encoded tapes,play dvds, and dub unencoded material all in one unit. Simple is important when age is involved. I'll be 68 next year...
Posted by: Racer X
Date: March 05, 2008 10:36PM
Harbourmaster
How about lets start with the hardware he already has. What EXACTLY is the "connected to a little piece of hardware which then connected to the computer via USB. (Some video Griffin thing??)" If indeed it is something from Griffin then there may be a way to use it with a Mac and nothing new needs to be purchased.

you can capture with quicktime pro, and iMovie. I "think" you can capture with Toast 8, and possibly Toast 7. Just checked. There is a plug and burn option in Toast 7 for DVDs. I imagine it captures to a scratch file, so their should be a BUNCH of hard drive space free.
Posted by: Robert M
Date: March 06, 2008 09:24AM
Jimmy,

I'm with Chupa. The easiest and I would say most cost effective way to transfer VHS (that aren't copy protected) to DVD is via a VHS/DVd Recorder. I bought a nice one from Toshiba that works exceptionally well. The whole process is very easy and more convenient than using a computer based solution for the job. Maybe not quite as flexible but definitely more convenient.

Robert
Posted by: Jimmypoo
Date: March 06, 2008 09:37AM
Still reading.... keep em coming!

Ken ---

the unit is an ADS Technologies DVD Xpress. There is no mac option for it.
Posted by: motopsyco
Date: March 06, 2008 11:06AM
A friend of mine is using this XLR8 InterView. It works well and is affordable but has it's limitations:

[daystartechnology.com]

I've used a DV Bridge for many years to capture video into iMovie or FCP.

Cheers!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Online Users

Guests: 171
Record Number of Users: 186 on February 20, 2020
Record Number of Guests: 2330 on October 25, 2018